General Admissions & OTCAS NYU & Columbia OT 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
NYU update. I received a second email this morning saying that I was still on the wait list. This time from Steinhardt Office of Admission. This first email I received was from the OT department last Monday. Has anyone else received a second email saying they were still on the wait list? Or has anyone received a second email about any type of wait list update...denied from wait list/ or accepted off wait list?

Members don't see this ad.

NYU update. I received a second email this morning saying that I was still on the wait list. This time from Steinhardt Office of Admission. This first email I received was from the OT department last Monday. Has anyone else received a second email saying they were still on the wait list? Or has anyone received a second email about any type of wait list update...denied from wait list/ or accepted off wait list?
Yes I received the same email today and last Monday. I do not believe we will hear about us being accepted off of the waitlist until mid-late april

Yes I received the same email today and last Monday. I do not believe we will hear about us being accepted off of the waitlist until mid-late april
Did you hear that from NYU or from someone from that was accepted off the waitlist in the past?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you hear that from NYU or from someone from that was accepted off the waitlist in the past?
I heard that from someone. I watched the information session video and they say that accepted students are typically given a month from acceptance to give them a decision. However, I am almost positive that students who have been accepted need to give their non refundable deposit in mid april. After that, based on how many seats are open, the first wave of applicants are offered admissions off of the waitlist... is NYU your number 1?

To anyone who has an idea:
Does NYU or Columbia accept applicants and then based on their decisions they will accept more applicants before going into the waitlist? Or do they even accept more than they have seats anticipating that some applicants may decline the offer?

Is there anyone else who hasn't heard from NYU or Columbia? It's starting to make me nervous that I still haven't heard anything.

Reactions: 1 user
Is there anyone else who hasn't heard from NYU or Columbia? It's starting to make me nervous that I still haven't heard anything.
I haven't heard anything from NYU either.

I haven't heard back from neither of those schools.

GOT INTO COLUMBIA TODAY!!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got into columbia too!!!!! :soexcited:
I was also waitlisted at NYU

To those deciding between NYU and Columbia... which are you leaning towards and how will you decide?

gpa: 3.4 prereq gpa: 3.8 over 100 hours volunteering and about 1000 hours if they count paid experiencce
I spoke to an admissions person at Columbia about how they consider experience and she told me they don't care as much about paid/unpaid or number of hours, they look more holistically at the applicant's overall experience

Congratulations to all of you who got accept to either NYU and Columbia.

I'm still waiting for my result and seem like I'm about to lose my hope. Does anyone still wait for NYU and Columbia result?

Reactions: 1 users

I'm still waiting for my result and seem like I'm about to lose my hope. Does anyone still wait for NYU and Columbia result?
Yeah, I'm still waiting to hear from them

I'm also anxiously awaiting a result!

CONGRATS!!! Do you mind sharing your stats? Are you going to go? If u do also are you going to pull yourself off the NYU wait list?
Thank you so much! and of course!
Kean University BA Therapeutic Recreation (Recreation Administration) GPA: 3.9
Bergen Community College A.S. GPA: 3.7
Pre-Req GPA: 3.85

57 hours of observations with pediatrics and hand therapy and took an intro to OT class (A-).

It all depends on NYU and Seton Hall. Believe it or not I want to attend Seton Hall because of it being cheaper. However, if I do not get into Seton Hall and get off of the wait list at NYU, I will be attending NYU. What I am trying to figure out is which of the two schools is cheaper? I think NYU has a better curriculum but it is a 2.5 year program with 69 credits and Columbia is a 2 year program with 63 credits??? Correct me if I am wrong!

Thank you so much! and of course!
Kean University BA Therapeutic Recreation (Recreation Administration) GPA: 3.9
Bergen Community College A.S. GPA: 3.7
Pre-Req GPA: 3.85

57 hours of observations with pediatrics and hand therapy and took an intro to OT class (A-).

It all depends on NYU and Seton Hall. Believe it or not I want to attend Seton Hall because of it being cheaper. However, if I do not get into Seton Hall and get off of the wait list at NYU, I will be attending NYU. What I am trying to figure out is which of the two schools is cheaper? I think NYU has a better curriculum but it is a 2.5 year program with 69 credits and Columbia is a 2 year program with 63 credits??? Correct me if I am wrong!

Congratulations!!! If you don't mind me asking, what is it that draws you to NYU over Columbia?

Also, from what I could find, Columbia's total program cost this year was about $92,000. NYU's was $112,000, and seems to increase by around 7% a year. I can't find any data on Columbia's typical annual increase.

This was from Columbia's open house
ImageUploadedBySDN1457664111.755965.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Congratulations!!! If you don't mind me asking, what is it that draws you to NYU over Columbia?

Also, from what I could find, Columbia's total program cost this year was about $92,000. NYU's was $112,000, and seems to increase by around 7% a year. I can't find any data on Columbia's typical annual increase.
Thank you ooottt for the upload! Honestly, if you take a look at Columbia's curriculum, they are so focused on mental health during the first year and then physical disabilities the next year. Then they require you to complete your fieldwork experience in those populations. NYU seems to be a lot more broad and cover all of the populations. I am currently doing an internship at a psychiatric hospital and I know this is not the population I want to be with. However, Columbia is the cheaper school and the question I ask my self is that is NYU work the extra 20K to cover all of the populations? If I get into Seton Hall, then I might consider going there, but the program is longer. So many questions and so much research I need to do before I make a decision. But, this is what I have as of now. If any of you know about Columbia's program, please inform me as much as you can. ooottt what did they say about their curriculum at the open house???

I just got a rejection email this afternoon!! Oh...well ! I guess I have to start think about Plan B if I don't get accept into OT program this year :(

I heard that from someone. I watched the information session video and they say that accepted students are typically given a month from acceptance to give them a decision. However, I am almost positive that students who have been accepted need to give their non refundable deposit in mid april. After that, based on how many seats are open, the first wave of applicants are offered admissions off of the waitlist... is NYU your number 1?
I just got a rejection email this afternoon!! Oh...well ! I guess I have to start think about Plan B if I don't get accept into OT program this year :(
from NYU or Columbia? were you waitlisted first?

@OTguy94 I had the exact same concern but not to worry, Columbia does prepare you for working throughout the lifespan! In addition to the mental health and physical disabilities fieldwork experiences, you have the option to complete a "specialty" fieldwork experience in pediatrics, hand therapy, or whatever interests you. I personally plan to complete the pediatrics one unless my plans change once I begin grad school which is a definite possibility. I think there is a slight focus on mental health in the curriculum but that it still prepares you to deal with all types of OT because you'll be more sensitive to what's going on in the client's mind. I think that even if I get in off of NYU's waitlist I would still choose Columbia.. the way students talked about their relationships with faculty is what really stood out to me, it seemed like a really inspirational environment filled with passionate people.
Also you can find their curriculum along with class descriptions if you click on "Program's Bulletin" on their website or click this link:
http://columbiaot.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Bulletin15-16.pdf
Hope this helps!

I was rejected from NYU on March 1, and still waiting to hear back from Columbia

Got a rejection letter form NYU today. Still havent heard back from Columbia. This waiting thing is killing me

I did not hear anything from NYU yet, I applied 2 days before deadline, taking A&P 2 right now-will graduate this semester. Trying to think positively :)

Does anybody has same situation, do they usually accept students conditionally?

@OTguy94 I had the exact same concern but not to worry, Columbia does prepare you for working throughout the lifespan! In addition to the mental health and physical disabilities fieldwork experiences, you have the option to complete a "specialty" fieldwork experience in pediatrics, hand therapy, or whatever interests you. I personally plan to complete the pediatrics one unless my plans change once I begin grad school which is a definite possibility. I think there is a slight focus on mental health in the curriculum but that it still prepares you to deal with all types of OT because you'll be more sensitive to what's going on in the client's mind. I think that even if I get in off of NYU's waitlist I would still choose Columbia.. the way students talked about their relationships with faculty is what really stood out to me, it seemed like a really inspirational environment filled with passionate people.
Also you can find their curriculum along with class descriptions if you click on "Program's Bulletin" on their website or click this link:
http://columbiaot.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Bulletin15-16.pdf
Hope this helps!
Thank you so much for your input! I did a lot of research this past weekend and really took what you said into consideration, because you are absolutely right about everything you said. I think I am going to Columbia even if I get off of the waitlist as well! Plus it's IVY LEAGUE!

Isn't like Columbia been sending ONLY acceptances/waitlists decisions up to present time? Anybody got rejection?

I don't know about you guys but this waiting game is straight TORTURE. I am on the verge of a nervous breakdown if I don't hear from NYU or Columbia soon.

I don't know about you guys but this waiting game is straight TORTURE. I am on the verge of a nervous breakdown if I don't hear from NYU or Columbia soon.
I know I feel the same way - the waiting is complete torture!

Thank you so much for your input! I did a lot of research this past weekend and really took what you said into consideration, because you are absolutely right about everything you said. I think I am going to Columbia even if I get off of the waitlist as well! Plus it's IVY LEAGUE!
You're very welcome!! I'm glad to hear that!!

Isn't like Columbia been sending ONLY acceptances/waitlists decisions up to present time? Anybody got rejection?
Hey yeah I was also thinking the same thing. I haven't seen anyone saying they have been rejected...

Yes, NYU is my first choice. It's frustrating to be on the waitlist. I've been accepted into other programs but have been able to push back the deposit in most. However, if I don't hear anything back from NYU by mid-April I'll probably have to take myself off the waitlist. Is it your number 1? Are you going to hold out?

Yes, NYU is my first choice. It's frustrating to be on the waitlist. I've been accepted into other programs but have been able to push back the deposit in most. However, if I don't hear anything back from NYU by mid-April I'll probably have to take myself off the waitlist. Is it your number 1? Are you going to hold out?
Love their curriculum but @ooottt really made me see some positive things from Columbia. I am definitely going to hold onto the wait list spot just so I have time to think from here until the time comes. I just got accepted into Seton Hall today but I think that is out of the question. I am from Jersey and the commute is the only factor that I am considering for that school.

Love their curriculum but @ooottt really made me see some positive things from Columbia. I am definitely going to hold onto the wait list spot just so I have time to think from here until the time comes. I just got accepted into Seton Hall today but I think that is out of the question. I am from Jersey and the commute is the only factor that I am considering for that school.
Seton Hall is a great school! Definitely!

I got flat out rejected from NYU on 2/21 with a 3.9 GPA and 4.0 prereq GPA, with around 250 observation hours, (which included at one of NYU's hospitals). I'm still waiting to hear from Columbia, but I only received my checklist a week ago. I got into Seton Hall a few weeks ago, but would rather go to Columbia.

Last edited:
Hi all. I was accepted to NYU and Columbia and have decided to attend Columbia. Hopefully this gives someone a chance on the waitlist at NYU!

Hi all. I was accepted to NYU and Columbia and have decided to attend Columbia. Hopefully this gives someone a chance on the waitlist at NYU!
What are your reasons for choosing Columbia, if you don't mind?

Reactions: 1 users
What are your reasons for choosing Columbia, if you don't mind?
I feel like the program better fits my goals than NYU. Also I have heard from people that have attended that the program does a really good job of preparing you for practice and that the professors and students have really strong relationships.

Has anyone heard from Columbia or NYU this week??