General Admissions & OTCAS NYU & Columbia OT 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard from Columbia or NYU this week??[/QUOTE
I haven't heard back from either schools yet.. are you on the waitlist?
NYU put me on the wait list almost 3 weeks ago. I didn't apply to Columbia.

Members don't see this ad.

Istill haven't heard back from NYU or Columbia
I haven't heard back from either schools yet.. are you on the waitlist?
I haven't heard back either. I can't help taking it as a bad sign but then I saw people on here who hadn't heard back and then they got in as late as last week.. which gives me hope. Basically I'm on an emotional roller coaster with this process - it's so confusing how they're doing this. I can't believe another week has gone by with nothing :bang:

Has anyone sent the wait list response form for NYU and did not receive an email saying that you are still on the wait list? I faxed & emailed my response...don't know if I should follow up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone sent the wait list response form for NYU and did not receive an email saying that you are still on the wait list? I faxed & emailed my response...don't know if I should follow up.
I think you should follow up to give you some peace!

My friend is a very similar applicant to me, same degree, 3.9 GPA, 3.6 GPA in his community college, 4.0 GPA science, 3.88 GPA pre req, 60 observation hours, ot recommendation, and two professor recommendations; and he was rejected by Columbia and wait listed at NYU.

when did you send in the response? They send you another email like 3 weeks after you do so from the office of graduate admissions.

when did you send in the response? They send you another email like 3 weeks after you do so from the office of graduate admissions.
I emailed them March 25th and faxed the day after. Still didn't get any form of confirmation.

Hey everyone,
I was accepted into both programs, but decided to attend Columbia. I hope this gives someone a chance to get off the waitlist at NYU. Best of luck everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
When did everyone hear from Columbia? Still waiting to hear from them

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone contacted NYU and asked how many people are on the waitlist?

When did everyone hear from Columbia? Still waiting to hear from them
I heard from them the 10th of March. My friend just heard from them on Monday but he was rejected.

Has anyone contacted NYU and asked how many people are on the waitlist?
I did but they did not answer. The information video says there is a large amount put on the wait list. Another form states that one information session said there's 50 but I believe there rough 50-75 at least on the waiting list

Members don't see this ad :)
I did but they did not answer. The information video says there is a large amount put on the wait list. Another form states that one information session said there's 50 but I believe there rough 50-75 at least on the waiting list
ok thanks. did you commit to Columbia?

I heard from them the 10th of March. My friend just heard from them on Monday but he was rejected.
How do they send a decision? By email that takes you to a link to log into?

I'm assuming no news right now is good news seeing that they are sending out rejections. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Columbia. NYU still haven't heard anything.

How do they send a decision? By email that takes you to a link to log into?
My email said exactly this "Columbia University's Programs in Occupational Therapy has completed its review of your application. A decision letter is waiting for you in your application portal." If you see that, it is a good sign, because my friend got a rejection letter sent via email.

I definitely would be optimistic if you have not heard anything yet from Columbia because the deposit deadline is the 26th and after that date they should accept them next wave of students.

Reactions: 1 users
Help! I got an email to check my portal (for columbia) but can't find where the decision is listed anywhere… I know this is a dumb question but where did people who were admitted find it exactly? am i missing something?

Help! I got an email to check my portal (for columbia) but can't find where the decision is listed anywhere… I know this is a dumb question but where did people who were admitted find it exactly? am i missing something?
I am also having the same issue, help? :(

I think this is good news for you guys! But, the decision should be at the bottom of your portal. Sign in on applyyourself and it'll be at the bottom of the page.
https://app.applyyourself.com/AYApplicantLogin/fl_ApplicantLogin.asp?id=col-ot

If it is not there, contact their office and tell them

When did you guys receive the email?? Today?!

I was accepted to Columbia today! I was not expecting this at all and am very surprised so I hadn't even really considered Columbia's program. For those of you who are going, can you give me some reasons why you decided on Columbia? Thanks :)

I was accepted to Columbia today! I was not expecting this at all and am very surprised so I hadn't even really considered Columbia's program. For those of you who are going, can you give me some reasons why you decided on Columbia? Thanks :)

For me, the research aspect of the curriculum definitely played a big role in my decision. I also liked that courses are paired with field work with a particular population, as well as the heightened emphasis on mental health. It's also shorter than many programs (only 24 months!), where I want to be geographically, and significantly more affordable than some other nearby options. I was in a similar position and did not really expect to get in/consider it much before, but it seems like a very unique and solid program. Best of luck with your decision, and congratulations!

For me, the research aspect of the curriculum definitely played a big role in my decision. I also liked that courses are paired with field work with a particular population, as well as the heightened emphasis on mental health. It's also shorter than many programs (only 24 months!), where I want to be geographically, and significantly more affordable than some other nearby options. I was in a similar position and did not really expect to get in/consider it much before, but it seems like a very unique and solid program. Best of luck with your decision, and congratulations!
Thanks so much for your input. I am deciding between Columbia and another program which is an OTD so I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of a masters vs. doctorate program. If you have any more insight into that that you could share, I'd appreciate it as well!

Thanks so much for your input. I am deciding between Columbia and another program which is an OTD so I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of a masters vs. doctorate program. If you have any more insight into that that you could share, I'd appreciate it as well!
Definitely OTD...it comes to doctor's degree, as well as DPT. for sure. Good luck

Has anyone not heard back from Columbia yet? Lol

Definitely OTD...it comes to doctor's degree, as well as DPT. for sure. Good luck
How come? The Master's is is going to remain the necessary minimum degree for awhile with OT, everyone applying now will be more than grandfathered in, and if/when the change requiring a doctorate comes, they should have more than enough work experience to make up for the lack of OTD. I guess if you want to go straight into academia than an OTD right away makes more sense, but can't you also get your master's, practice for a few years to see what population your interested in studying, then go back for an OTD when you have a better idea (and when you've recovered a little from all the debt you incurred from your master's)?

Me! I haven't heard back. I'm sure there's a chunk of us. I think it's going in waves
So I haven't gotten an email from Columbia to check my online portal but I just went ahead and checked it last night anyway and there was a decision waiting for me. I was not admitted

Me! I haven't heard back. I'm sure there's a chunk of us. I think it's going in waves

So I haven't gotten an email from Columbia to check my online portal but I just went ahead and checked it last night anyway and there was a decision waiting for me. I was not admitted

I also haven't heard back yet! But I only got my checklist two weeks ago. Where on the portal was the decision?

Was not admitted! Does anyone know if Columbia does an appeal process?

Was not admitted! Does anyone know if Columbia does an appeal process?
I looked it up and Columbia says their decisions are final and don't allow for an appeal process.

Also didn't receive an email but logged in and saw that I didn't get accepted. Good luck to everyone else waiting!!

How come? The Master's is is going to remain the necessary minimum degree for awhile with OT, everyone applying now will be more than grandfathered in, and if/when the change requiring a doctorate comes, they should have more than enough work experience to make up for the lack of OTD. I guess if you want to go straight into academia than an OTD right away makes more sense, but can't you also get your master's, practice for a few years to see what population your interested in studying, then go back for an OTD when you have a better idea (and when you've recovered a little from all the debt you incurred from your master's)?

This is what I've been thinking about. Since the OTD isn't necessary and won't pay anymore out of school, I'd be saving a lot of money by going to Columbia and getting my MS.

This is what I've been thinking about. Since the OTD isn't necessary and won't pay anymore out of school, I'd be saving a lot of money by going to Columbia and getting my MS.

BTW, Columbia is adding their optional OTD program this year I believe! So if you ever do change your mind, you can always continue your education at Columbia and get that degree.

I have a 3.9 overall GPA and 4.0 prereq GPA with about 200 observation hours in multiple settings and yet I was rejected from both Columbia and NYU...not even waitlisted!! Anyone have any suggestions of anything I can do or how to make sense of this? I know of people with much lower GPAs who have gotten into NYU

Does anyone have an idea of when Columbia starts or when orientation might be?

I have a 3.9 overall GPA and 4.0 prereq GPA with about 200 observation hours in multiple settings and yet I was rejected from both Columbia and NYU...not even waitlisted!! Anyone have any suggestions of anything I can do or how to make sense of this? I know of people with much lower GPAs who have gotten into NYU

I'm in the same boat as you. I spent my easter yesterday with my family looking at my credentials and discussing my rejection. My family could not even fathom on the reasoning behind it. I even have a Masters Degree in Epidemiology with a 3.9 GPA. I just can't make sense of how I did not even make it on the waitlist. My undergrad GPA was a 3.2 but my Pre-req was a 3.8 and I have 250 observation hours. I really can't make sense of this at all. I don't even know where to improve upon.

I'm in the same boat as you. I spent my easter yesterday with my family looking at my credentials and discussing my rejection. My family could not even fathom on the reasoning behind it. I even have a Masters Degree in Epidemiology with a 3.9 GPA. I just can't make sense of how I did not even make it on the waitlist. My undergrad GPA was a 3.2 but my Pre-req was a 3.8 and I have 250 observation hours. I really can't make sense of this at all. I don't even know where to improve upon.

I attended an NYU open house and they said they can reject 4.0 gpa students and accept 2.9 students. The reason for that is they look at the application as a whole, and not just the grades but also the letter of recommendations, personal statement, experiences (including work, resume), etc. They said there are students that got in after applying after a 3rd time as well. I'm not telling you this to discourage you, but rather, encourage you. I doubt it has anything to do with your credentials, and possibly more to do with the amount of applications they do receive. They receive so many applications. They had advice for those re-applying, that they definitely compare your old application to the new one and want to see what you have done differently. They prefer new letters of recommendations from different people and they want to see that you taken another class or two, or did more shadowing hours, they want to see some kind of difference. I hope this info helps, it's just what they told us at the Open house.

I just got accepted into NYU off the wait list! Eeeeeekkkkk!!! I'm feeling so grateful and humbled and I don't even know what to do with my excitement. I've also been accepted into an out of state school. Decisions, decisions! Good luck to you all!

I just got accepted into NYU off the wait list! Eeeeeekkkkk!!! I'm feeling so grateful and humbled and I don't even know what to do with my excitement. I've also been accepted into an out of state school. Decisions, decisions! Good luck to you all!
congratulations! I was waitlisted at both Columbia and NYU so knowing they're pulling from the waitlist already gives me some hope!

congratulations! I was waitlisted at both Columbia and NYU so knowing they're pulling from the waitlist already gives me some hope!

They definitely started to! Considering I just went to the open house last Wednesday, and it's less than a week since. I think they are getting responses now. Good luck and message me if you have any questions or decide to go!