NYU -- Furniture?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pawkinlot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was wondering what NYU students do about furniture. I am going to be moving from Seattle and I dont think I will be taking my bed with me on the plane, so what do you guys do about getting furniture? What I mean by that is have you ended up staying in the same place for your entire time at dental school? Do you go home during the break/summer? If so what do you do? Just sublet or lease your place out until you come back? Or do you find some sort of storage facility for your stuff until you get a new spot? Or do you rent your furniture?

Members don't see this ad.

So I was wondering what NYU students do about furniture. I am going to be moving from Seattle and I dont think I will be taking my bed with me on the plane, so what do you guys do about getting furniture? What I mean by that is have you ended up staying in the same place for your entire time at dental school? Do you go home during the break/summer? If so what do you do? Just sublet or lease your place out until you come back? Or do you find some sort of storage facility for your stuff until you get a new spot? Or do you rent your furniture?

You'll be there for 4 years straight more or less, so no need to worry about subletting. Make sure you live in a place you like with trouble-free roommates and it'll be fine. Buy some furniture and a bed in NYC.

Good luck.

Go to IKEA, buy a bed and some furniture. Cheap enough for a student and great qaulity. Dont waste a lot on furniture cause you will be in school & the library most of the time; save for food & rent!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you do the IKEA (or other furniture store) route, arrange to have it delivered the day you move in so you can have a place to sleep :)

+1 on IKEA. That place is sweet and most things are phenomenally cheap.

If you do the IKEA (or other furniture store) route, arrange to have it delivered the day you move in so you can have a place to sleep :)

Have you stayed in the same place for your previous two years? and do you intend to stay at the same place for the next two?

Like everyone else said -- Ikea. They charge around $80 for delivery... pretty reasonable.

I moved after my first year, but my roommates and I just set it up so we had 1 day of overlap between our old lease expiring and our new one starting, so we had that 1 day to move everything. We ended up opting for a moving service (no regrets at all... we somehow accumulated a lot of stuff...). Other friends who had to move out before their new lease started just stored their stuff in a friends living room for a day.

Like someone stated above, subletting isn't really an option. After first year, you have 1 month for summer vacation. After that, you are year round... no break longer than 2 weeks.

Like everyone else said -- Ikea. They charge around $80 for delivery... pretty reasonable.

I moved after my first year, but my roommates and I just set it up so we had 1 day of overlap between our old lease expiring and our new one starting, so we had that 1 day to move everything. We ended up opting for a moving service (no regrets at all... we somehow accumulated a lot of stuff...). Other friends who had to move out before their new lease started just stored their stuff in a friends living room for a day.

Like someone stated above, subletting isn't really an option. After first year, you have 1 month for summer vacation. After that, you are year round... no break longer than 2 weeks.

Thanks for the info/input. I didnt realize that there was no 'real' summer break after year 1. I guess there wont be any subletting then..

Have you stayed in the same place for your previous two years? and do you intend to stay at the same place for the next two?
I was in Stuy Town for the first two years, but changed buildings after the first. Probably going to be looking at something in FiDi for D3.

Craigslist

Posted using SDN Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.