NYU Interview 2014/2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

student4144

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I got an interview at NYU and it is scheduled in September. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where to stay that is close by?! Or any tips! Never been to New York so thought I would ask :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all! I got an interview at NYU and it is scheduled in September. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where to stay that is close by?! Or any tips! Never been to New York so thought I would ask :)

Use "Airbnb" app or go to their website. Use this for sleeping arrangements.

Queens would be the closest and most economical place to stay. Ideally try to go to laguardia if going this route.

Try to stay somewhere near northern blvd in queens to be close to the "Long Island railroad"

Northern queens is safe and a lot of options for public transportation.

If money ain't a thang,

Stay in NYC

I'd recommend just using airbnb and finding a place in Manhattan for one day/night. While Queens is definitely cheapest, for someone who has never been to NYC, it's a bit of a hassle riding the LIRR and then having to get off at Penn Station and use the buses to get to NYUCD. Using the subway after Penn Station is even more complicated. To save you the mental stress, I'd rather go with staying in Manhattan.

I've lived in NYC my entire life, and this is just my suggestion/advice!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am interviewing in the month of September and opted to stay at one of the hotels which is within walking distance of the school. You are scheduled to be there at 8am. Waking up and walking there while getting more sleep for such an important day is worth the extra money to me...

My 0.02

Reactions: 1 user
I have a question. Did NYU update your dental school designations on aadsas? I got an email from them saying they received my application and it is under review, but it isn't on aadsas.

I have a question. Did NYU update your dental school designations on aadsas? I got an email from them saying they received my application and it is under review, but it isn't on aadsas.
They don't really like using the site

They don't really like using the site

Yeah, NYU didn't even show up on the aadsas portal. NYU is actually the only school I applied to that did not come up on the portal. Nevertheless, I got emails from them saying that my application was under review, then complete, then an interview invite. :)

What type of photo do we need to send/bring? Professional or casual??

What type of photo do we need to send/bring? Professional or casual??
If I had a dollar for every time I saw someone ask this on SDN.

I went to wallgreens and got a dozen of them made for under $12 dollars. Professional passport 2 X2 photo. Can't go wrong.

Reactions: 1 users

I went to wallgreens and got a dozen of them made for under $12 dollars. Professional passport 2 X2 photo. Can't go wrong.

Cheaper if you take the picture at home and put 2 on 4x6 template, and print that at walgrees for 10~15 cents per sheet.

I just got an email this morning from NYU saying they are currently compiling my application. What were your stats if you dont mind me asking. Just want to get an idea of where i stand

I just got an email this morning from NYU saying they are currently compiling my application. What were your stats if you dont mind me asking. Just want to get an idea of where i stand
I actually got the same email today, only that I got an followup email few minutes later saying that the application is complete and is waiting for admission committee review.
AADSAS was completed 8/25, mailed on 9/5.

Hopefully something good will come out of it, even though NYU would be my last choice to attend.

Members don't see this ad :)

Cheaper if you take the picture at home and put 2 on 4x6 template, and print that at walgrees for 10~15 cents per sheet.

Well, yeah, this is what I was thinking, but in the confirmation email, they just tell us that they want a color photograph and that they prefer we email it in JPEG format. So, I was just wondering if they still wanted the whole white background, plain photo.

I received an interview and plan on attending it on October 8, but I will likely change it to the 9th. Is anyone else interviewing during those days?

I received an interview and plan on attending it on October 8, but I will likely change it to the 9th. Is anyone else interviewing during those days?

How long was the period from receiving the application to calling you for an interview?

They emailed me last week on Friday asking me to come in for an interview. On the 8th of August is when they said they received everything and are reviewing.

GPA (science, overall): 3.83, 3.85
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21/22/22/20/none (21QR)

I am interviewing in the month of September and opted to stay at one of the hotels which is within walking distance of the school. You are scheduled to be there at 8am. Waking up and walking there while getting more sleep for such an important day is worth the extra money to me...

My 0.02
i see that you recently had your interview. How do you feel it went? mine is this coming up this friday and i wanna be as prepared as possible. any difficult questions that had you thinking for a while? any advice you can give me
thanx much

i see that you recently had your interview. How do you feel it went? mine is this coming up this friday and i wanna be as prepared as possible. any difficult questions that had you thinking for a while? any advice you can give me
thanx much
The interview went superbly. It was such a relaxed interview. My interviewer was a very kind older gentleman. If I remember correctly, there were 3 dentistry-related questions he asked me. Nothing that you already don't know or haven't at least thought about. We mainly spoke about music, hobbies, things of that nature which are not really related to dentistry much at all. My interviewer took this time to get a glimpse of the type of person I am beyond what is on my application. Take this all with a grain of salt because I have heard that other applicants who interviewed that day had a very structured interview consisting of the cliche questions and was in a Q&A format. It all depends on who you get I suppose. PM me if I can assist you more. I would be more than happy to answer any questions you have about the school.

The interview went superbly. It was such a relaxed interview. My interviewer was a very kind older gentleman. If I remember correctly, there were 3 dentistry-related questions he asked me. Nothing that you already don't know or haven't at least thought about. We mainly spoke about music, hobbies, things of that nature which are not really related to dentistry much at all. My interviewer took this time to get a glimpse of the type of person I am beyond what is on my application. Take this all with a grain of salt because I have heard that other applicants who interviewed that day had a very structured interview consisting of the cliche questions and was in a Q&A format. It all depends on who you get I suppose. PM me if I can assist you more. I would be more than happy to answer any questions you have about the school.

If you dont mind me asking, what type of dentistry q's did he ask you?

thanks!

Pm if I can help answering any questions about the school. Would be glad to offer relevant advice.

How would you guys answer these 2 questions?

1. How does your faith integrate into being a dentist?
2. What kind of models do you build?

What I'm asking is what do these questions mean?
In the first one, are they asking how my religion merges with dentistry?
and I totally do not understand the second one

What I'm asking is what do these questions mean?
In the first one, are they asking how my religion merges with dentistry?
and I totally do not understand the second one

I've never heard of those questions being asked before. I'm not really sure to be honest.

How would you guys answer these 2 questions?

1. How does your faith integrate into being a dentist?
2. What kind of models do you build?

These sound like really specific questions geared towards one specific applicant. Did you get these questions from interview feedback?

The first question sounds like something Loma linda would ask..

The second one sounds like they were asking about something specific on someone's application. You can't answer it unless you are that person with model building experience.

Don't worry about those questions if they do not pertain to you!