NYU kick students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joonkimdds

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just heard from my friends that NYU kick 1/3 of their students.
Is this true?
According to predents.com, they accept 232 students.
If what I heard is true, do only about 154 students graduate?
And what options do these students have? Can they reapply?

Members don't see this ad.

I just heard from my friends that NYU kick 1/3 of their students.
Is this true?
According to predents.com, they accept 232 students.
If what I heard is true, do only about 154 students graduate?
And what options do these students have? Can they reapply?

I don't want to go there if they actually kick their students:lol:

:diebanana:

To the OP: Are you seriously asking the question??? Nobody kicks anybody at our school. That NYU kicks out their students is just one of the "SDN Myths." I am amazed to see that this myth still exists on the earth. NYU is one of the best dental schools in the U.S.

Members don't see this ad :)
Uh, please stop making stupid threads. With the obnoxiously high number of posts you have OP, I kind of wonder with these kind of posts you are just doing it (and, I have no clue why...) to up your post counts on SDN.

:thumbdown:

First, it's not true... second, you seem bitter because it appears NYU didn't grant you an interview... third, and this is not a knock on your future school but just making a point... you're planning to attend a school that HAS NOT GRADUATED A SINGLE STUDENT YET... so umm.... what are the graduation rates at Midwestern going to look like? What are the pass rates on Part II of the boards and the WREB/NERB going to be? Seriously... it's time to focus your worries elsewhere.

First, it's not true... second, you seem bitter because it appears NYU didn't grant you an interview... third, and this is not a knock on your future school but just making a point... you're planning to attend a school that HAS NOT GRADUATED A SINGLE STUDENT YET... so umm.... what are the graduation rates at Midwestern going to look like? What are the pass rates on Part II of the boards and the WREB/NERB going to be? Seriously... it's time to focus your worries elsewhere.

Don't hate on Midwestern! It's a great school. On that note, I can't believe he got in.:wow:

I actually heard the same rumor that NYU kicks 1/3 of its dental students after the first year. And I actually heard this rumor from my dentist. But I am glad to find that it is just a rumor. :D

Woah take it easy folks, its just a question. Seriously do you have to start tearing down the OP and what school he is going to. I have actually met the OP at an interview, and he is a very respectful person. While I don't know why he is concerned about the attrition at NYU, I highly doubt they kick out a 1/3 of their students. When I interviewed at NYU they said they have lost 1 student each of the last 3 years. They also have something like a 98.4 % pass rate on board exams. Hopefully that answers the original question.

Uh, please stop making stupid threads. With the obnoxiously high number of posts you have OP, I kind of wonder with these kind of posts you are just doing it (and, I have no clue why...) to up your post counts on SDN.

:thumbdown:

+1
some of his threads are pointless
joon kim, why do you care about nyu's attrition rate? you're not even going there

and please check grammar before you post so that people don't ridicule you...

does posting stupid threads like this make you feel better about going to midwestern?

+1
some of his threads are pointless
joon kim, why do you care about nyu's attrition rate? you're not even going there

and please check grammar before you post so that people don't ridicule you...

does posting stupid threads like this make you feel better about going to midwestern?

Some?? ha, all!

I have not spoken on some of the things you post but wow!

Since i dont have anything nice to say, i guess i wont say anything at all :D

Some?? ha, all!

I have not spoken on some of the things you post but wow!

Since i dont have anything nice to say, i guess i wont say anything at all :D

lol i'm sure the same could be said for you.

enlighten me

right back at you.

don't need to waste time on a stupid argument with you.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, i applied and didnt hear back from nyu by january so I withdrew. I'm glad I have better options like Tufts (imo)

i dont know about the attrition rate. but take this for what its worth, at my interview, they told us that they have no remediation for those who fail, such as at other schools (case, buffalo etc). basically a zero tolerance policy. after hearing that, to me it seemed like they just didn't care about their students.

We do have remediation policy at NYUCD, and our attrition rate is much lower than that of the national average. I wonder where people get all the wrong information.

NYUCD may have been a mediocre school 10 years ago, but under the deanship of Dr. Michael Alfano, NYUCD has gone through amazing transformation and has become one of the best dental schools in the nation. Dean Bertolami is further continuing this upward trend. It would have been the biggest mistake of my life if I had chosen not to come to NYUCD based upon those ridiculous rumors spread by some individuals on SDN. Thankfully I had good internet literacy when I was making the decision 4 years ago.

We do have remediation policy at NYUCD, and our attrition rate is much lower than that of the national average. I wonder where people get all the wrong information.

NYUCD may have been a mediocre school 10 years ago, but under the deanship of Dr. Michael Alfano, NYUCD has gone through amazing transformation and has become one of the best dental schools in the nation. Dean Bertolami is further continuing this upward trend. It would have been the biggest mistake of my life if I had chosen not to come to NYUCD based upon those ridiculous rumors spread by some individuals on SDN. Thankfully I had good internet literacy when I was making the decision 4 years ago.

That is great to know! That gives me some good insight into next year. I got into NYU and BU but chose NYU because it seemed like I would be more happier here and the money is not a factor (because both are really expensive). Is there anything that you didn't like about the school though, especially in your first year that you could provide some feedback for?

dr. mejia told me this acutally during our Q&A session. maybe ill call and ask again?

Dental Schools do kick people out, it's a really sad thing, I totally don't agree with many of the policies, but it does happen at every school. At Pitt this year we lost 2 people from our class due to academics between semesters, really sad :( .

So, I'm just curious, and would like to quash this rumor if it isn't true, but what's the average number of people that get kicked out of the first year class at NYU? I heard 1, which is about what every school has, any numbers to back this?

Dental Schools do kick people out, it's a really sad thing, I totally don't agree with many of the policies, but it does happen at every school. At Pitt this year we lost 2 people from our class due to academics between semesters, really sad :( .

So, I'm just curious, and would like to quash this rumor if it isn't true, but what's the average number of people that get kicked out of the first year class at NYU? I heard 1, which is about what every school has, any numbers to back this?

I heard it was 1 last year, and they did everything they could to help him. It was a married man, after he failed a quiz they got counseling. He didn't take any of the advice, and ended up failing the boards. I don't know if this had to do with failing out though. They singled that one married man out though, possibly because there was a woman in our interview group, and her husband came along with her for the tour and Q&A session. Perhaps an indirect way of letting that married lady know that it can't be her.

That is great to know! That gives me some good insight into next year. I got into NYU and BU but chose NYU because it seemed like I would be more happier here and the money is not a factor (because both are really expensive). Is there anything that you didn't like about the school though, especially in your first year that you could provide some feedback for?
I am 100% happy with my educational experience at NYUCD, and honestly it is difficult to come up with the things I "didn't like about the school."

In the first year, they really do an excellent job teaching basic science courses, like gross anatomy, histology, physiology, and oral biology. The head and neck anatomy course was awesome. We use Dr. Von Hagens' plastinations in each anatomy lab. There are evening anatomy labs, so you can come to the lab and study plastinations as much as you want. All the lectures are Podcasted and available through iTunes U. All the textbooks we need are on the VitalSource Bookshelf. The lecture PowerPoint slides and handouts for basic science courses are very well-organized and easy to study. We also become very competent in operative dentistry in the first year. Practical exams are stressful, but the operative dentistry course will give you excellent technical foundations for clinic. I honestly cannot think of any better learning environment. I can assure you that you have made an excellent decision.

dr. mejia told me this acutally during our Q&A session. maybe ill call and ask again?
I have been here for 4 years and every year they offered remediation courses for those who needed to remediate some courses.

I am not an administrator so I don't have exact statistics, but according to Dean Spielman our attrition rate and national board failure rate are below the national average. I am personally aware of three people who transferred to other schools after the first year for personal reasons (proximity to significant other or family).

Yeah, if you can, please do so.
I have 2 friends who are NYU dental students and they told me that NYU kick many students out so I don't know whether it's a truth or myth.
(or maybe my friends are lying, LOL)

If the question was raised during the Q&A session, I think it's good to clear things up.

to EVERYONE who bashed the OP, you should seriously apologize, they were just ASKING A Q, that is wat SDN is for. . . .so be polite!!!!and answer genuinely!!!

if i was going to NYU, i would DEF wanna know if they drop 1/3 of their class, IT IS NOT A DUMB QUESTION, and it is unfortn that rumors spread. . . .be no need to be obnoxious

It is a MYTH, period. If 1/3 of ~230 people were indeed "kicked out," only ~150 people would have made it to the D4 year. For Class of 2010, I know for a fact that 212 students made it to the D4 year (my class rank was reported out of 212). Some students transferred out of NYUCD for personal reasons; some decided to take a year off for personal reasons; few students unfortunately needed to remediate one year due to difficult personal situations. 212 is the number after you take into account all these students who were never "kicked out."

So the conclusion is that it is an utterly unfounded myth that NYU "kicks out 1/3 of their students." I hope this helps.

I have heard (again, don't quote me...) is that they don't "kick" people out but rather drop a certain percentage of the class after the first year. I had an associate of mine (can't really call him a "friend") go to NYU (c/o of 2009, maybe?) and tell me that they auto-drop the lowest 10-15% of the first year students. Can anyone collaborate on that? I doubt it, but you never know....

to EVERYONE who bashed the OP, you should seriously apologize, they were just ASKING A Q, that is wat SDN is for. . . .so be polite!!!!and answer genuinely!!!
The OP has been around this forum longer than most of us on here. I have seen several threads concerning this issue in just the past year. The issue has been addressed and the answer can be found in other threads. No need for pot stirring posts. The OP tries to be cute, but frankly it's annoying.

I have heard (again, don't quote me...) is that they don't "kick" people out but rather drop a certain percentage of the class after the first year. I had an associate of mine (can't really call him a "friend") go to NYU (c/o of 2009, maybe?) and tell me that they auto-drop the lowest 10-15% of the first year students. Can anyone collaborate on that? I doubt it, but you never know....
Maybe you and I have the same friend because I heard the exact same thing. What's the name of your friend?

Maybe you and I have the same friend because I heard the exact same thing. What's the name of your friend?

Can't even recall his name. We went to WWU together if that helps at all. to be honest, it makes sense if they do this. They matriculate a fairly large class and I assume that a certain amount of people won't cut it. If the class is large and assuming that the grade curve isn't way out of wack (like, say, an avg. GPA of 3.0), the bottom 10-15% probably aren't cut out for the workload.

the op has been around this forum longer than most of us on here. I have seen several threads concerning this issue in just the past year. The issue has been addressed and the answer can be found in other threads. No need for pot stirring posts. The op tries to be cute, but frankly it's annoying.

+1 !!

I am a current D4 student at NYUCD, and I can tell you that this is the first time I have ever heard such a story.

An accredited dental school in the U.S. could not possibly have a policy of "auto-dropping the lowerst 10% of the first year students." Please, everyone think about it. If it were true that NYUCD "auto-drops" the bottom 10% which is like ~20 people every year, without such a policy explicitly stated in NYUCD's academic policies, 20 people would be suing NYUCD every year.

At the following link, you can find NYUCD's official student handbook, which stipulates NYUCD's academic policies. Nowhere in this document can you find anything about a policy for "dropping" their students. The end of the story.
http://www.nyu.edu/dental/studenthandbook/contents.html

NYU kicked me during the interview!!

kicked me right in the taste buds because the steak sandwich was so damn good...

hahah, oh joon...i was looking up something for a friend of mine...and low and behold, joonkimdds is still posting!

This guy was posting a TON of really annoying posts back when I was taking the DAT (4 years ago...) bragging about how he was going to get a 30 on the DAT and asking really stupid questions.

4 years later, i see nothings changed! :Sigh: atleast he's gotten in somewhere, so hopefully you wont have to deal with these annoying posts anymore...

Good luck to you all and may you be be accepted to your dream school!

-BPD

Man leave the op alone if you don't want reply to the question, let the thread die. But dont bash on op or his abilities. Very uncalled for.

I have this question as well.

And FYI OP, get your info right, class 2018 is going to have 360 students, they expanded the class.

Nice way to resurrect a dead thread.

Dead things are better stay dead.

This thread is from 2010, kill it.

Nice way to resurrect a dead thread.

Dead things are better stay dead.

This thread is from 2010, kill it.

well looks like someone didn't read the answers posted from 2years ago and insisted on asking the same question. pew pew:thumbdown:

And FYI OP, get your info right, class 2018 is going to have 360 students, they expanded the class.

The class of 2017 already has 360 students. Also The class of 2015 got a 100% board passing rate on part 1. Last year I heard 4 people were asked to leave.

The class of 2017 already has 360 students. Also The class of 2015 got a 100% board passing rate on part 1. Last year I heard 4 people were asked to leave.

:thumbup:

Also -

NYU said:
Due to curriculum initiatives, the 2013 incoming class will be the final year that the college will be offering admission to its Advanced Placement DDS program. Throughout the years, New York University College of Dentistry has maintained a program for internationally trained dentists that it is extremely proud of. For years 2014 and after, we encourage international dentists to consider applying to our regular 4-year program.

http://www.nyu.edu/dental/bulletin/admission.html

Since everyone is releasing their negative energy on OP, I will too.

OP how dare you! You promised to never cheat on me you selto.