NYU or Temple?? Please Help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

faith101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was accepted to both schools and have to choose soon! I would be out-of-state for both, so tution difference is not huge, I believe NYU is about 45-50 thousand more. Which school would you choose and why? Thanks, I would appreciate all your feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Were you late listed for both? And recently removed from wait list?

NYC is an expensive city to live in, queens, which is 30-60min away from NYU is the least expensive option. But if there are public transportation delays, that could be for hours per delay.

Mining rent in NYC is like $1000 a month plus whatever you add to it, electricity tv etc ., if you are lucky to find such place. And if found it will most likely be in the hood.

In queens if you are lucky maybe a bedroom apartment in a basement for like $800 a month.

Check Craigslist.

NYU does have good clinics and you will be prepared for the real work once graduated.

NYC is a very nice city and you will meet wonderful ppl.

either situation sucks but temple sucks less ($$$)

to be honest, the only time choosing a dental school gets tricky is when you intend on specializing and are deciding between an Ivy or UC and a state school. otherwise, cheapest school, always. still, cost seems to win out when deciding between a "specializing" school and a state school because Ivy and UC are expensive.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I chose NYU over temple and usc. i do not regret my decision at all.

my experiences here have been awesome. for instance, i'm getting credit and money to do some legitimate research. the resources at this school are pretty phenomenal. i honestly love it here. PM me if you want to know more

i chose temple over nyu. if you have any questions please feel free to pm me.

NYU and Temple are comparable in terms of its clinical education. NYU's biggest advantage is its location.

- Temple has a lower tuition
- Temple has a lower cost of living( you can live right in the middle of the city(center city) for about$800-$1200/month for a pretty nice place. the city is about a 15 min subway ride from school, and the subway stop drops you literally right in front of the school. if you have a car and want to live in the suburbs(15-30min away from the school) , it can cost from $500-750/month at a pretty solid place.
- I personally felt more comfortable at temple after the interview, and now that I'm in my 4th year, i feel that it was the correct decision.
- temple has a smaller class size( about 120-140). i prefer a smaller class size.
- Temple also values their students very highly, and wants you to succeed, and we have had everyone in our class stay throughout, no one has been expelled that i know of. ( I am not familiar with nyu, I'm sure they are similar).

Temples main disadvantage and advantage is its location, its not in the best area, but I have never had any issues at all, I've felt safe around the area, i have not heard of any of my classmates having any issues. The area also contributes to the great clinical education.

You have to figure out if you value 40-50K more at NYU than temple. 40-50K without interest factored in. If there was a big difference in quality of education I might have considered the more expensive option if it was far more superior than the cheaper option. but in this case, I feel these 2 schools are similar in what they have to offer.

Reactions: 1 user
i went to NYU for interview - but was not accepted - and I never got interviewed at Temple.

NYU was probably the MOST beautiful school I have ever seen - their dental school - is so beautiful - gigantic dental school. - so beautiful.

Does one school have a better name/reputation than the other? And does dental school name play a role when looking for a job? Also, what special opportunities does each school offer that the other school doesn't?

i went to NYU for interview - but was not accepted - and I never got interviewed at Temple.

NYU was probably the MOST beautiful school I have ever seen - their dental school - is so beautiful - gigantic dental school. - so beautiful.

Hey are you still feeling lazy and selfish?

Your thread has a lot of comments for you:

Am I being selfish and lazy?

I have just recently been accepted into dental school, and will start in August, 2014.

I have been feeling a little worried that I might not be doing God’s will in my life. I feel that I might have chosen dentistry out of laziness or selfishness.

I want to list the reasons why I chose dentistry and ask if you think that I am being lazy or selfish in my motivation to become a dentist.

1. ~My grades in college were not high enough for entry into medical school, and getting accepted into dental school was a little easier than getting accepted into medical school. So I decided to change my career path from becoming a doctor to becoming a dentist.
  2. ~The lifestyle of a dentist is much easier than the lifestyle of a doctor. Dentist work a normal 9am to 5pm job. Doctors can sometimes work 38 hour shifts and not get to go home at night, especially when they are “on call.”
  3. ~If a doctor does something wrong, the patient will die. The stress of being a doctor is much heavier than the stress of being a dentist.
  4. ~After graduating from four years of dental school, I can begin working immediately as a dentist. However, after someone graduates from medical school, they cannot begin working as a doctor. Only after an additional four years of residency and possibly 1 – 3 years of fellowship can that person begin working as a doctor. This means that the person has to do extremely well within medical school in order to get accepted into a competitive residency such as radiology or dermatology or surgery.
  5. ~I love the fact that dentists are still considered “doctors” but don’t have the work hours or stress of a medical doctor. I come from a family where we value honor/prestige very much, and becoming a “Doctor of Dental Surgery” will bring great honor to my parents.
  6. ~Even if I do badly or mediocre in dental school, I will still be able to become a general dentist, which is great! But if I do badly in medical school, then I will not be able to apply into a competitive residency such as radiology or dermatology. The pressure for medical students to match into a good residency program is something that I do not want to go through. I don’t want to go to medical school and fear the possibility of getting rejected from a residency program. I don’t want to constantly be afraid of doing badly in school.
  7. ~Most importantly, the reason why I chose dentistry is because of the comfortable life style. Working 9am to 5pm? What more can I ask for? That’s the perfect life. I could have the rest of the day or the entire weekend just to rest and relax and pray.

But the thing that I worry about is being lazy. Do you think that my desire to become a dentist because of the easy “9am-5pm” work life is lazy? I feel so selfish saying this. But it has been my dream to become a dentist ever since I was in junior high, and I have been working really hard – just so that I can live a comfortable lifestyle and be able to rest when I get home. Is that such a bad thing?

In my mind, the life style of dentist (9am-5pm) seems so perfect and wonderful – it is my dream to live that life. Am I settling for a really lazy life?

Am I settling for a really comfortable life? Is it a bad thing to want to live a comfortable life? Am I being lazy?

I work so hard in school, and now, I just want to rest and get out of all that drama and stress. I’m so tired, and I am only 22 years old. Is that being lazy?

Sometimes I watch the news, and I see poor children in other parts of the world who are dying of starvation and cancer and disease – and I feel so horrible because I know that after graduating dental school, I will have a really easy, comfortable life. I feel guilty because everything in my life right now is going so perfectly. My dream finally came true! I finally got accepted into my top-choice dental school! But I feel so guilty.

I don’t know what to do. Please help me.

Members don't see this ad :)
How safe is the area around temple dental school? I won't be living there but will be at school all day. So I was a bit concerned about the crime rate and shooting there.

How safe is the area around temple dental school? I won't be living there but will be at school all day. So I was a bit concerned about the crime rate and shooting there.

NYC is safer, you won't need to be strapped or carry a pepper spray.

Reference:
Myself, New Yorker, born and raised.

Temple's area is fine, not the best, but its safe as long as you are not walking 5 blocks from the main street(broad st) at 2am. My classmates and I have never had any issues.

If you go to temple or recently graduated from there, how are temple's didactics? I remember a student there said they were weak/average. Buy that's only one student. I would like to hear more on this. How about NYU's didactics? And does anyone know temple's board pass rate?

The didactic information is similar at every school. Science changes quickly but the material that is taught does not. I have friends from undergrad who were "brilliant" but at temple struggle with keeping up with the material. The same goes at my school. Everybody passes boards...at least that should be the case. If you can'tget 350questions right on a 500 question test, I don't know if you should call yourself a doctor.

What boards are you taking? Part 1 is 400 questions, and while almost everyone passes it's still a difficult exam.

A test that "almost everyone passes" cannot be considered difficult.

That's not true. You have to consider who 'everyone' is. If you made a chemistry test and gave it to all the nobel prize winners in chemistry, and 'everyone' passed, it gives you no meaningful information about the difficulty of the test.

Last edited:
I know the information taught is the same everywhere, but the way it's taught is different. And schools have different curriculums. And that's why some schools offer a better education than others. So does any one know the quality of the curriculum at either school?

NYU has a grueling didactic curriculum. For the passed few years the pass rate for part 1 has been over 98%. The clinical experience is unmatched by any school. Acceptance in to residencies is very high. I personally think you cannot go wrong by attending NYU. I am, however, biased. I went to NYU.

Yea I heard NYU's curriculum is more intense and more difficult than other schools...not sure if that's a good thing. Dental school is tough anyway. I talked to some students and a few from nyu are not very happy there and wish they went somewhere else...this raised red flags. I guess the only negative about temple is the location. I wanted more info about the quality of temple's didactics to see if it's worth it to go there.

look, dental school is difficult. period.

the resources that are at this school are so vast. this school has so many untapped resources--you just have to go out and get them. of course i have some negative views about this school but I would highly, highly recommend that you come to NYU.

Hello, I was accepted to both schools and have to choose soon! I would be out-of-state for both, so tution difference is not huge, I believe NYU is about 45-50 thousand more. Which school would you choose and why? Thanks, I would appreciate all your feedback!
hey if its okay .. could you temme your experience .. like how did you prepare for everyhting?.. you gpa .. and every details .. it'll be of much help.. ( whenevr u hav time though) .. thank u

where did you decide to go? and why?

NYU has a grueling didactic curriculum. For the passed few years the pass rate for part 1 has been over 98%. The clinical experience is unmatched by any school. Acceptance in to residencies is very high. I personally think you cannot go wrong by attending NYU. I am, however, biased. I went to NYU.

hey, do you know where i can find stats on residency acceptance rates? I'm also trying to choose between temple and nyu.