NYU or Temple?? Please Help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

faith101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was accepted to both schools and have to choose soon! I would be out-of-state for both, so tution difference is not huge, I believe NYU is about 45-50 thousand more. Which school would you choose and why? Thanks, I would appreciate all your feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying for the NHSC scholarship, so if I get it, cost won't be a factor. If tuition cost was the same for both schools, which school would you choose and why?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does one school have a better name/reputation than the other? And does dental school name play a role when looking for a job? Also what special opportunities does each school have that the other school doesn't?

I'm applying for the NHSC scholarship, so if I get it, cost won't be a factor. If tuition cost was the same for both schools, which school would you choose and why?

I wouldn't base decisions on the assumption that you will get that scholarship. Not only is it incredibly competitive (<5%), there's no telling how the funding issues with the nhsc will affect the scholarship in years to come. I'd assume the worst - that you'll be paying the tuition in full at an atrocious interest rate - and be pleased if things turn out differently. Temple is a great school, save the $ and don't look back.

I would go to Temple only b/c it seems extremely stressful to get around in NYC and you should be trying to minimize your stress any way u can in dental school.

Any one else? Which one is the better school overall. Btw, I'm interested in specializing.

Any one else? Which one is the better school overall. Btw, I'm interested in specializing.
Not just tuition but living cost in NYC is very high and you should consider that too. NYC is a lively city and you can take subway to travel all around. While Temple is in really bad location. It's dangerous even to walk around and patients who come they don't want to spend any money or neither do they care for the oral hygiene. Not a good learning experience as you can't complete your requirement. If money is not an issue go to NYU.

This is an easy decision. NYU. Every one in my class who wanted to go to OS or Ortho, matched. I agree with Harry about living style, and DS experience. There isn't a school that offers more than NYU does.

I had the same decision years ago, and clearly chose temple. I am very happy with my decision. In terms of the location, it is not the best, but it is not dangerous as long as you are not walking around 5 blocks away from broad st(st schools on) at 2am. My classmates and I have not had any issues w the location.

Not only is tuition cheaper at temple, but living cost is also much cheaper. If you want to live in the suburbs, it can cost in the range of $500-750/ person of you live with others(700-850 if alone) and you would be about 15-25 min drive from the school.

If you live in the city, you can get a small studio For about $950-1200( with utilities included) or $750-1000( if you live with others) I'm center city. There are 2 subway lines in Philadelphia. Broad st line that literally stops right infront of the school. It is very convenient. About a 12 min subway ride from city hall station. Center city is very nice, and an affordable way of living compared to nyc( but of course it's not NYC). Places such as arts Condiminium( high rise in Philly) has small studios(300-400sqft has studios that range from 900-1000 with ALL utilities included as well as hbo( have a few friends that live there) only need to purchase Internet. You also have chancellor apartments, walnut street apartments( just a few examples of affordable housing.

Overall, the clinical education at both schools are comparable, so the product you are receiving is similar. NYU has a better location. But temple is not dangerous( its just not Hollywood). I did not value going to nyu 100k more over 4 years(not sure if the price difference has changed much.

If you have any questions feels free to PM me.