NYU? Please Share Thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2thdoctr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can students at NYU dental share your experiences of the school. I am contemplating on whether or not I should go there. I love the city atmosphere and loved what I saw at the school when I interviewed there. I did get into a much cheaper school, in a pretty crappy area, so I want to make sure I'm making the right choice. If NYU is a good school with a good rep among the dental community, I don't mind taking out more loans.

I know NYU is pretty good when it comes to clinical exp and its students do great on the boards. But how are other things at the school? Like getting chairs in the clinic, specialization rates, faculty, reputation among dental professionals and any other insider notes.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't personally go to NYUCD but I can tell you that it is a clinically strong school. You really have to ask yourself what you value more...4 years in a great city in a good clinical setting, but paying an arm and a leg....OR...4 years in a not-so-great city in a school that probably still has a decent clinical setting, but paying much less?

Honestly, all dental schools in the US will provide you with a decent clinical setting and so I really wouldn't make that a HUGE deciding factor (but again that is my opinion). It all comes down to if you want to pay a lot more to live in a big, but expensive city for 4 years...if you aren't financially-backed then I would re-consider NYUCD.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a 2nd year NYU student.

We will be integrating into clinic with a couple months and from what I hear the clinical experience seems to be pretty solid. Good amount of patients and no problems getting seats. However, IMO a clinical experience is what you make of it. I know some kids who are absolutely rocking clinic and others who aren't very strong at all. Some of it is due to lack of effort scheduling and getting patients and some due to just plain out not getting any decent cases.

The city atmosphere is highly overrated. Believe me you will be so bogged down with work that you won't really have any time to experience the city. Additionally it is very expensive and if you intend on being strict with your finances it is hard to truly enjoy the city.

Some faculty are great and others not so much. I feel like this is the case at any school.

Regarding reputation I don't think it really matters honestly. Sure patients will recognize the name NYU but at the end of the day your prospective employers aren't going to care where you went as long as you have a DDS. Same with specialization. You have the potential to specialize at any school just have to be at the top of your class (few other factors of course).

I came to NYU is b/c I was offered a scholarship that made it my cheapest option. Some students will be coming out with nearly 500k in debt. This is a crippling amount of debt. IMO no city experience nor anything for that matter could justify coming out with this amount of debt.

If I were you I would go with your cheapest option. Don't forget those loans start at 7% interest which starts accruing from your first semester...

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a 2nd year NYU student.

We will be integrating into clinic with a couple months and from what I hear the clinical experience seems to be pretty solid. Good amount of patients and no problems getting seats. However, IMO a clinical experience is what you make of it. I know some kids who are absolutely rocking clinic and others who aren't very strong at all. Some of it is due to lack of effort scheduling and getting patients and some due to just plain out not getting any decent cases.

The city atmosphere is highly overrated. Believe me you will be so bogged down with work that you won't really have any time to experience the city. Additionally it is very expensive and if you intend on being strict with your finances it is hard to truly enjoy the city.

Some faculty are great and others not so much. I feel like this is the case at any school.

Regarding reputation I don't think it really matters honestly. Sure patients will recognize the name NYU but at the end of the day your prospective employers aren't going to care where you went as long as you have a DDS. Same with specialization. You have the potential to specialize at any school just have to be at the top of your class (few other factors of course).

I came to NYU is b/c I was offered a scholarship that made it my cheapest option. Some students will be coming out with nearly 500k in debt. This is a crippling amount of debt. IMO no city experience nor anything for that matter could justify coming out with this amount of debt.

If I were you I would go with your cheapest option. Don't forget those loans start at 7% interest which starts accruing from your first semester...
Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it. I am leaning towards NYU. I think picking a school I'll be happy attending will be more beneficial. I'm just gonna suck it up and take out more loans.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it. I am leaning towards NYU. I think picking a school I'll be happy attending will be more beneficial. I'm just gonna suck it up and take out more loans.

Just curious, how much total would you take out in loans?

wow i guess there are a lot of 2nd year students here.

also a 2nd year student. the school is awesome, and as the poster above me said, it is what you make of it...especially in clinic. i also came here on an academic scholarship and while it can be tough, it's definitely worth it for a lot of reasons. the exposure and training you get here at this school is pretty good.

Reactions: 1 users
wow i guess there are a lot of 2nd year students here.

also a 2nd year student. the school is awesome, and as the poster above me said, it is what you make of it...especially in clinic. i also came here on an academic scholarship and while it can be tough, it's definitely worth it for a lot of reasons. the exposure and training you get here at this school is pretty good.
Aside from large class size and cost are there any cons in your opinion?

nope. and i kind of like the large class size. not everyone knows your business and you just do what you gotta do.

I agree. A large class allows you to stay under the radar...sounds silly but you will understand when you get to dental school. Sometimes it is better to lay low and go through the system without ever being noticed.

150k isn't bad at all. I was under the impression you wouldn't have any help and would be maxing out your loans.

I graduated from NYU couple years ago and now run a clinic.

I'm sure you already know that NYU tends to be a little bit weaker on the basic sciences, but is pretty intense in clinical training.
My opinion is that they are very focused on producing an all-around General practitioner. Pretty extensive clinical curriculum in all specialties for the undergrad students.

Clinic chair time - I wouldn't be able to tell you for sure since I've never worked in clinics at other school :p One thing I can tell you though, is that the clinics at NYU are HUGE. 6 Floors of undergraduate clinics with 60 chairs on each floor and 30 on one floor (cant remember exact number of chairs, but somewhere around there). Some sessions like 10:45am or 2pm slots do tend to fill up much quicker than other times (e.g. 8:30am) but I feel that it would be the same for any other schools.

Specialties - If you are looking to specialize, NYU might not be the best choice for you. I feel that, if you want to specialize, you need a fair amount of attention from the faculty, dean etc. for good rec letters and etc. and just simply, the class size is enormous, which makes your odds of standing out a little bit more difficult, in my opinion. But we do have a handful of students who go on to touch specialties like OS (in my class, I think 3?) and ortho (3?) and those students, just like any other schools, did very well in school and the faculty loved them. The rate between graduates who specialize and who go into GP may be pretty small compare to other schools, but this could be because 1) size of class 2) NYU in general doesn't seem to really promote specializing to the undergrads.

**additional comment on specializing - NYU offers Honors in Research where they pair you up with a faculty researcher at school do research together. This would be a great help if you do want to specialize in things like OS. So my point here is - that no one will come to you and tell you "Oh, you should specialize" at NYU. But if you are informed, and passionate about doing so, good opportunities are there.

Faculty - A lot of faculty members. Not all of them great. Some that really stands out as awesome mentors - but these are the ones all the other students are lined up after. Sometimes I felt that they were just really overwhelmed and couldn't find a time to get their help. I did a lot of things trial-and-error during my clinic sessions :) ** as someone mentioned above, some of the students do struggle in the clinics and sometimes, due to the size of the class, they don't get the faculty attention they need. There's a lot of survival of the fittest at play in NYU.

Reputation - We have a good reputation as a school that produces great GPs. And in my opinion, reputation of which school does matter. A lot of my classmates seem to be doing pretty well being hired, running a clinic, etc. When I was interviewing around for a job, a lot of them told me that they like NYU students. Yes, our class size is huge, makes comparatively easier school to get into, but we come out as fearless, well-round clinicians!

The city life is great and on weekends a lot of students did get together to have fun in the great NYC nightlife.
I got a bike during my 3rd year here and travelled around the city when the weather is nice and absolutely loved it!
Some people do stress out a little bit and say "you don't have time to go around the city!" but thats really up for you to split up your time :)

Reactions: 2 users
Current D2 at NYU here... go to the cheaper school. Shelling out 400k+ in loans is highly ill advised. Dental school's tough and it pretty much becomes your life once you start. But at the end of it, no matter what school you go to, you graduate with the same degree. Less loans, less of a burden to start up your own practice, etc.

I graduated NYU two years ago. You THINK taking out loans is no big deal. I should slap you for saying that. Hell, do you know how hard it is to pay 500k? I doubt you will earn as much as I do right out of school, so forget the new house, new car..oh wait, you don't mind sucking it up and taking more loans.

ps: sounds harsh, but just trying to save you a lot of headache. this is coming from someone that's been in your shoes.

I graduated NYU two years ago. You THINK taking out loans is no big deal. I should slap you for saying that. Hell, do you know how hard it is to pay 500k? I doubt you will earn as much as I do right out of school, so forget the new house, new car..oh wait, you don't mind sucking it up and taking more loans.

ps: sounds harsh, but just trying to save you a lot of headache. this is coming from someone that's been in your shoes.
Thanks, you are right, if I had to take out 500k in loans, I would never go to NYU, but like I said, I only have to take out around 150k in loans for nyu. Plus, your right, I won't make as much as you because I intend to continue practicing in NYC for a while after graduating.

Hey guys, I really need help to screen and find patients for ideal class2, class3 and perio scaling patients for the exam. I am takin the exam at NYU May 1 to may 3 2015. Thanks