NYU vs. BU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dds2b219

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can any current dental students weigh in on this? Pros and cons of your schools? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I truly loved both schools but making this decision is going to be difficult.

Members don't see this ad.

Would you consider some cheaper school, or are you stuck with only these two extraordinarily expensive choices :(?

Can any current dental students weigh in on this? Pros and cons of your schools? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I truly loved both schools but making this decision is going to be difficult.
Hey can you pls share your stats?? What BU is looking for??

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you consider some cheaper school, or are you stuck with only these two extraordinarily expensive choices :(?
I have these two extremely expensive choices.

My aunt attended BU in the early 2000's and describes it as an experience she would never go through again, even if she was the one getting paid the tuition price to go through it. Ranging from cut throat environment to trying to get a decent patient for the National Board II, she made BU sound like a place that she just wanted to get in and out as soon as possible. Of course, when I interviewed there I was pleasantly surprised at how nice they were. Perhaps things have really been changing, or perhaps they put up a really good front and only let the more favored students interact with the interviewees.
My Uncle went through NYU GPR residency and describes it as a lot of work and always seeing patients (which is a good thing). With a class size of 300+, you would think that there is much competition for patients and such, but that didn't seem to be the case. Both of the schools don't seem to be reputed for producing "The best" clinicians directly from their dental school, but after residency, most dentists are excellent at what they do. Regardless of what school they are coming from.
I am in the same dilemma as you, and personally I will be attending BU this upcoming fall even :). This is due not only to the fact that I really do want that "east coast" experience, but also because BU seems to have a huge potential for post doc advantages over many other schools that I interviewed at. I wasn't lucky enough to ever interview at P/F schools :(

Reactions: 1 user
Bumping this thread. Any current students have anything to add about what they like and dislike about the schools? BU seemed to have a bad rap for a while but I wonder if this is really still the case... The students on interview day seemed like they were really enjoying their experience and the clinic problems were solved with implementation of group practice model. Is this true? Thanks for your help.

it doesn't matter where you goto dental school. you wanna specialize? get good grades, and know the faculty. all that nonsense, about bad rap, good clinical experience, doesn't matter. dental school is tough, you will jump through hoops. goto the cheapest one.

Reactions: 1 user