NYU vs Cornell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cocokoko

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone compare these two schools? Trying to make a decision on where to go. The one downside is NYU is still advanced :(. Other than that, having a hard time deciding between the two.

Members don't see this ad.

How about comparison between columbia too?

Members don't see this ad :)
they're not true categorical spots... still advanced when you enter into eras, so there's no guarantee you can get the 4 prelim nyu spots that are available..

Cornell has HSS and MSK, both of which are top hospitals in the country. Those are the kind of hospitals you will forever mention in interviews. Cornell also has an awesome simulator. Its curriculum is also brand new and novel.

Can anyone comment on Cornell vs Columbia, especially in terms of getting jobs afterwards? Which one gives you the leg up?

Cornell has HSS and MSK, both of which are top hospitals in the country. Those are the kind of hospitals you will forever mention in interviews. Cornell also has an awesome simulator. Its curriculum is also brand new and novel.

NYU has HJD and Bellevue (and the VA). On my interview trail, I have come across a ton PDs and interviewers that trained at NYU/Bellevue - it's a badge of honor.
NYU has one of the biggest Sim Centers in the country.
Cornell doesn't do any transplants, NYU does livers (granted less than Sinai & Columbia by a lot).
Cornell has extensive ICU time and in general long hours (I would not believe the hrs they put up during interview day) they work the hardest by far in the city, NYU gives you great hrs where you get to learn a ton but also go home at a reasonable time.
You get autonomy at Bellevue, you essentially don't at Cornell.

Reactions: 1 users
NYU has HJD and Bellevue (and the VA). On my interview trail, I have come across a ton PDs and interviewers that trained at NYU/Bellevue - it's a badge of honor.
NYU has one of the biggest Sim Centers in the country.
Cornell doesn't do any transplants, NYU does livers (granted less than Sinai & Columbia by a lot).
Cornell has extensive ICU time and in general long hours (I would not believe the hrs they put up during interview day) they work the hardest by far in the city, NYU gives you great hrs where you get to learn a ton but also go home at a reasonable time.
You get autonomy at Bellevue, you essentially don't at Cornell.

I find it very hard to believe that a PD would blatantly lie to applicants.

Reactions: 1 user
I find it very hard to believe that a PD would blatantly lie to applicants.

Yes, and no programs ever lie about duty hours. Especially not the surgical ones. Everyone definitely stays <80 hrs/week.
There's no way that stats can ever be manipulated.
*rainbows and butterflies*

Yes, and no programs ever lie about duty hours. Especially not the surgical ones. Everyone definitely stays <80 hrs/week.
There's no way that stats can ever be manipulated.
*rainbows and butterflies*

Just curious how an applicant such as yourself, has such a detailed inside scoop.

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe a current Cornell resident could comment on this? Might give a more realistic insight into this.

Last edited: