NYU VS. TEMPLE??? help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shnib

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was hoping for some help making my decision!!! :thinking:
I'm from NY, so NYU would cut living expenses. But besides cost, and just comparing each school, What are advantages of being in a small school (temple)? Does being in a safer neighborhood (NYU) outweigh that? I also heard NYU has a tougher curriculum, which might make it harder to specialize down the line?
Basically : Does a big program (NYU) make it easy to fall between the cracks??
: Does being in an unsafe neighborhood (TEMPLE) not allow one to spend as much time studying late in either lab or library??
: lastly, if i see my self practicing in NY down the line, does going to NYU make it easier to land a job there??
I would appreciate any input.!!

Members don't see this ad.

Two very different schools with one similar attribute: very strong clinic. Obviously being in a class of 400 people will mean you have to go out of your way if you really want to stand out/need help. You can fall down the cracks at any school though. Temple's clinical requirements are much likely more stringent than NYU. I was very impressed by them during my interview.

Not going to lie, Broad street/northern Philly isn't a place where I'd personally want to go to school. You won't be hanging out there at all once you're done with classes/clinic; people just tend to go home. If you're smart about it though, you'll be fine (don't go on the street at 2 am, etc).

Temple's clinical requirements are much likely more stringent than NYU. I was very impressed by them during my interview.

What impressed you about Temple?

Members don't see this ad :)
What impressed you about Temple?
It's a no BS school. The students know their stuff and work their tails off. Brian (director of admissions) constantly referenced how their clinical requirements are very tough. A few D3s said they would be comfortable if they were thrown into private practice tomorrow. Nice facilities too.

Reactions: 1 user
It's a no BS school. The students know their stuff and work their tails off. A few D3s said they would be comfortable if they were thrown into private practice tomorrow. Nice facilities too.

Did they give you any information about the 4-year on-time graduation rate, and the procedure requirement for graduation?

Did they give you any information about the 4-year on-time graduation rate, and the procedure requirement for graduation?
Don't remember the graduation rate or anything like that, but their requirements (there was a slide show that compared them to other schools) aren't a joke. Can't give you specifics but I remember something about 11 dentures, which is a lot.

I have worked with NYU grads. My impression has been... meh. I would choose Temple.

I have worked with NYU grads. My impression has been... meh. I would choose Temple.

What about NYU grads gives you the poor impression?
Have you worked with any Temple grads?

@JLT223 , thank you for sharing that information.

Does anyone know the full cost of attendance for OOS students @ Temple? Their website doesn't break it down very well at all.

I have not worked with Temple grads but unless their lab curriculum has changed, I have good reason to believe they make great clinicians. Granted, all NYU grads are not going to be like the ones I worked with, but I found their clinical skills to be lacking.

@JLT223 , thank you for sharing that information.

Does anyone know the full cost of attendance for OOS students @ Temple? Their website doesn't break it down very well at all.
58k for tuition

Hows Case Western Reserve's clinical experience? Is it tough and stringent like Temple (or better?)

Would going to NYU over Temple, make it easier to work/find a job in NY??
How much of a disadvantage is it to have 360 students per class?

Would going to NYU over Temple, make it easier to work/find a job in NY??
How much of a disadvantage is it to have 360 students per class?
You would still need to do an AEGD/GPR regardless of school.

I'd choose Temple just because of class size. NYU's graduating class seems to grow every year too.

You would still need to do an AEGD/GPR regardless of school.

You need to do an AEGD/GPR to practice in NY?
I'm pretty sure that is wrong... AEGD/GPR are optional

You need to do an AEGD/GPR to practice in NY?
I'm pretty sure that is wrong... AEGD/GPR are optional
You're incorrect. It is mandatory for licensing in NYS.

Reactions: 1 users
Does NYU and Temple have the same policy regarding re mediating classes each year?? Or having to repeat a whole year of school? I heard its not uncommon for NYU students to end up retaking a year. Is this true?

I heard its not uncommon for NYU students to end up retaking a year. Is this true?

Oh my...can you imagine incurring an extra year's worth of tuition AND the compound interest from the first time you went through it?

Does NYU and Temple have the same policy regarding re mediating classes each year?? Or having to repeat a whole year of school? I heard its not uncommon for NYU students to end up retaking a year. Is this true?
Browse their websites regarding their policies on academic requirements and remediation.