NYU vs University of Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dents19

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think? Considering all of the factors...clinicals..faculty...env't etc.
I do know NYU is known for having one of the best clinicals. This is very important to me. Class size...yea not so good. And high cost of living is no joke. School is known for great prestige and some of the best dentists have graduated from there.

Im debating whether or not this should be an easy decision : (

Thoughts..?

Members don't see this ad.

What do you guys think? Considering all of the factors...clinicals..faculty...env't etc.
I do know NYU is known for having one of the best clinicals. This is very important to me. Class size...yea not so good. And high cost of living is no joke. School is known for great prestige and some of the best dentists have graduated from there.

Im debating whether or not this should be an easy decision : (

Thoughts..?

So is Maryland.

My opinion might be a tad bias, but Maryland has everything you mentioned... minus the outrageous costs associated with living in NYC. Not to mention, the school is relatively brand new

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations on getting into dental school. Choosing either school is a good choice, but here are my thoughts.

Cost: If cost is a factor, UMB is more affordable than NYU (even if you are a non-resident).

Private vs. Public: NYU is a private school and may offer better opportunities to network with past alumni.

Reputation: NYU has a strong reputation and may impress your patient base, but dentists in the know currently identify UMB as one of the strongest dental schools in the country - stronger than NYU.

Facility: UMB’s facility is now rivaled by Tufts, but since 2006, it has been considered one of the best dental facilities in the world.

History: UMB is the first dental school in the world. NYU has a long history of excellence.

Research: UMB was the 3rd highest funded dental school by NIH in 2010 (behind only UCSF and Michigan).

Clinic strength: Both schools are known for their clinical strength. UMB may have a stronger program considering their Perryville rotations (soon to add a second site), externships, student to faculty ratio, and facilities.

City life: It’s personal preference.

One thing to consider for Maryland though is that because they have a plethora of technology available (mediasite and videos) no one goes to class. Although it may be more efficient this way, it seems like it could affect class unity or and make it more difficult to get to know your classmates. To me just going to class and seeing / interacting with your peers in that setting creates camaraderie and facilitates bonding.

With that said, it's definitely a double edged sword to have those resources so it's just something to keep in mind when you're making your decision.

One thing to consider for Maryland though is that because they have a plethora of technology available (mediasite and videos) no one goes to class. Although it may be more efficient this way, it seems like it could affect class unity or and make it more difficult to get to know your classmates. To me just going to class and seeing / interacting with your peers in that setting creates camaraderie and facilitates bonding.

With that said, it's definitely a double edged sword to have those resources so it's just something to keep in mind when you're making your decision.

When you say no one goes to class do you mean that classes are just streamed online, or that people are lazy, skip lecture, and catch up on the videos just because they can?

NYU has that feature as well.

In the end, you will get basically the same education and basic dental skills. For growing professionally, you will need GPR or CE or a good mentor. I graduated from UMD and it was definitely good clinically but in 1 month of private practice I learned more than in 2 years in dental school.
I will tell you the MOST IMPORTANT factor for dental school is COST. You have no idea what it takes to repay loans (forget about IBR, it's a scam basically just an interest only loan) until you have to write that 2k+ check every month. I don't mean live like a pauper b/c you will be miserable, but there's no need to pay huge money for a private school or for a school in an expensive location. Btw from Baltimore to NYC there is cheap buses so you can go party in NYC whenever you want without having to pay $1200 for a closet to live in. Even graduating from UMD, I had about 250k in loans, and it's definitely a burden. Luckily in my associateship I make way above average but many classmates not so lucky....

Go the the CHEAPEST school and you will not regret it. After a few yrs out of school doesn't matter what school you went to it will be your personality, CE/GPR and business skills that will determine your success.