NYU Waitlist 2011

CaliPreDent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is the thread for all of yall who are waitlisted and really really want to get in :-(....any updates?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlist for NYU moves starting April.
No point in making this thread this early.
They are still interviewing tons of applicants.

Waitlist for NYU moves starting April.
No point in making this thread this early.
They are still interviewing tons of applicants.

THEN DONT POST IN THIS THREAD....dont tell me that there is no point

Great to know!!! oh that's exciting....did Dr. Mejia seem optimistic about getting in? When did you call her/how did you get in touch? Did she just pick up? Thanks so much healthcare! I hope we both get in!!

I got a chance to speak with her. She said that they will most likely wait till Feb. 1st b/c that's the deadline for the application. Another admissions person told me that the waitlist usually moves around end of Jan, and March-April. I know that the deposits were due and some people were accepted around christmas so I think sometime in February we might hear something? I HOPE SO!!!

did you see what the other person posted....it was information pertaining to wait listed people (and it had to do with a time period other than the one you said) clearly your not the all knowing person....so make like a tree and leaf your useless comments in some other thread

did you see what the other person posted....it was information pertaining to wait listed people (and it had to do with a time period other than the one you said) clearly your not the all knowing person....so make like a tree and leaf your useless comments in some other thread

How about you use your time using the search button and find out when waitlisted applicants were accepted from previous cycles like many do instead of making "useless" threads. They just waitlisted you and it's only January. They will not accept you anytime soon. Think about it.

Okay this is my last post to you because now its getting ridiculous.....I'm just going to stop getting a rise from your comments and I'm going to stop responding.....anyways, anyone else on the wait list out there?

I used to be on NYU's waitlist. As harsh as Donuteater is, he's absolutely right. They don't move their waitlist until way late. With that said, with their huge class size and large tuition, their waitlist MOVES a lot.

Just be proactive. However, there's a fine line between proactive and annoying. So watch out for that.

Not getting off NYU's waitlist is kind of a blessing in disguise for me. I was able to get into other schools this time around and I think I would have been miserable at NYU.

Members don't see this ad :)
How does NYU make their final decision on the applicants?
Do your stat gets you the interview and the interview gets you in OR do they use a formula like UNLV and rank students based on GPA+ DAT+Interview score ?

How does NYU make their final decision on the applicants?
Do your stat gets you the interview and the interview gets you in OR do they use a formula like UNLV and rank students based on GPA+ DAT+Interview score ?

My interviewer specifically told me that each interviewer gives his/her interviewee a "yes" or "no" as to whether the committee should further consider the candidate, but that the committee makes the final acceptance decision I assume based on stats/undergrad institution/etc.

My interviewer specifically told me that each interviewer gives his/her interviewee a "yes" or "no" as to whether the committee should further consider the candidate, but that the committee makes the final acceptance decision I assume based on stats/undergrad institution/etc.

Interesting. So does that mean people on the waitlist got a "no"? Because it seems that there havent been many rejections sent out.

i don't think anyone got a rejection after the interview. all those who did not get accepted at that point are on the waitlist, and if spots open for those who were sort of considered as a "yes", I think those get the opened spots.

right around this time of year some people got off the waitlist last year....i called and told them this and they said the standard we can pull people off at any point now

You called them and said, "I looked it up and this is the time where you take people off the waitlist."?

I really hope you didn't tell them your name.

right around this time of year some people got off the waitlist last year....i called and told them this and they said the standard we can pull people off at any point now

Don't worry. Like many have reiterated, the waitlist moves relatively fast. You'll most likely be admitted in. Just don't bite the hand that feeds you. =)

hahaha i know i actually completely phrased that wrong....i didn't tell them that they admitted people last year...i said hey i was wondering how the waitlist was going to move this year? were students on the waitlist going to start being admitted in january/february? and then they said well the waitlist can move now through the start of when classes begin

When I called back in Feb, they said around this time we should be hearing something. But given that people are still interviewing it's looking like April sometime. :/

I heard of one person who got off the waitlist....someone told me about this....but yea judging by last year's thread...2 people got off in feb, 3 in march, and most in mid april-end of april...they received a phone call from dr. mejia....does anyone ever call dr. mejia? does she ever call back or email?

Anyone else hear anything? Ah....so someone said that in feb (two posts above) we would hear back in March...

Anyone else hear anything? Ah....so someone said that in feb (two posts above) we would hear back in March...

the action starts after 2nd deposit is due in april. be patient. but be active as well!

Thanks PBURE. Anyone happen to know when the 2nd deposit is due in April (the exact date)?

I heard of one person who got off the waitlist....someone told me about this....but yea judging by last year's thread...2 people got off in feb, 3 in march, and most in mid april-end of april...they received a phone call from dr. mejia....does anyone ever call dr. mejia? does she ever call back or email?

When i called last time, it went to voice mail and she called back about an hour later. Still waiting to get accepted from nyu. i was waitlisted on 12/1

I was waitlisted on 12/21. received my acceptance today! (via mail, UPS) I think the waitlist does move after the second deposit, but I asked dr.mejia if i could get my final result (whether it be acceptance or rejection) before my second deposit due date at another dental school. I think it usually comes as a regular snail mail (I live in the US), but to expedite the process of getting the deposit in by April 1st, it came as an urgent UPS mail.

If any of you out there REALLY want to go to NYU, but want an answer before you put a second deposit down for another school, do let her know. SHE DOES HER BEST TO ACCOMMODATE EVERYTHING FOR THE APPLICANTS!! and of course, they require you to show the official letter of the acceptance from another institution. good luck!! :)

Last edited:
I was waitlisted on 12/21. received my acceptance today! (via mail, UPS) I think the waitlist does move after the second deposit, but I asked dr.mejia if i could get my final result (whether it be acceptance or rejection) before my second deposit due date at another dental school. I think it usually comes as a regular snail mail (I live in the US), but to expedite the process of getting the deposit in by April 1st, it came as an urgent UPS mail.

If any of you out there REALLY want to go to NYU, but want an answer before you put a second deposit down for another school, do let her know. SHE DOES HER BEST TO ACCOMMODATE EVERYTHING FOR THE APPLICANTS!! and of course, they require you to show the official letter of the acceptance from another institution. good luck!! :)

She is wonderful person and does her best for students. I made the similar phone call to two other schools that I was waiting for answers and they simply said, oh, well, tough luck, pay up pal.

It is nice to see some schools actually understand that paying $3500 for students after paying thousands for interviews and ... is alot of money in April to waste.

CONGRATS! If you don't mind me asking...how did you get in touch with her? I tried calling dozens of times but they never let me leave a voice message

CONGRATS! If you don't mind me asking...how did you get in touch with her? I tried calling dozens of times but they never let me leave a voice message

she actually called me last thursday asking for the reason why I wanted to come to nyu and whether I still wanted to come. before that, I just sent her emails. what I did was that I directly replied to her email address (when she requested to send in the official acceptance letter) and she told me that actually takes longer for her to see it (b/c emails do get piled up). sending an email to the admissions office, NOT HER, will expedite everything b/c SOMEONE in the office will see it and update your file and let her know.

healthcare whats your GPA and DAT scores? Just curious.

what's your username? healthcaree?

nice, are you considered an URM? just curious to compare, my stats are similar to urs. (except if your URM)

What school did you end up choosing?

and...

.... why did you go through all that trouble...?

Called Dr. Mejia the other day.. Expect movement in about a week (allow time for deposits to process). people on the waitlist are not ranked but reevaluated so everyone gets fair shot. good luck!

Pretty sure you could have made the decision without that acceptance letter. It's not like you got the acceptance letter and magically decided to ask your friends about the school. It wasn't the acceptance letter that made you realize that you didn't like big classes where people didn't show up.

But what the hey, it's your life.