o-chem over the summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lazgirl24

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
why do ppl think about o-chem over the summer with labs. (10 weeks)?

Members don't see this ad.

I would avoid taking hard-core science courses like that over a summer. There are two major disadvantages:

1. Your going to have much less time to learn an enormous amount of information.

2. You probably wont be able to cover as much material, so you get short-changed a little.

The only way I would do it would be if it was absolutely necessary as far as scheduling is concerned. For instance, if I was absolutely intent on applying to med school next fall, and the only way I could do it would be to take organic in the summer and the MCAT in the fall--that might be an option.

I would avoid taking hard-core science courses like that over a summer. There are two major disadvantages:

1. Your going to have much less time to learn an enormous amount of information.

2. You probably wont be able to cover as much material, so you get short-changed a little.

The only way I would do it would be if it was absolutely necessary as far as scheduling is concerned. For instance, if I was absolutely intent on applying to med school next fall, and the only way I could do it would be to take organic in the summer and the MCAT in the fall--that might be an option.
sorry. I posted by accident on wrong thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did organic chemistry during the summer after freshman year. It was fine actually. Mine was longer than 10 weeks though and it was an entire year of lecture and labs in one term. I actually thought the immersion was pretty helpful. It's a gamble though, because I can imagine if you get caught on something in the first couple weeks, it piles on pretty fast so you really have to stay with it.

I've taught o-chem over the summer several times (as well in long semesters). The summer classes were always 1 semester (Org 1 OR Org 2) compressed into 8 weeks. In my experience, students did just as well in the summer as they did in the long semesters based on performance on standardized exams (ACS). I always postulated that summer o-chem classes allowed for less time to forget things from beginning to end.

I several times followed my org 1 summer students' grades through their fall Org 2 class. They typically performed at higher levels than those who had taken org 1 in the previous spring.

I've taught o-chem over the summer several times (as well in long semesters). The summer classes were always 1 semester (Org 1 OR Org 2) compressed into 8 weeks. In my experience, students did just as well in the summer as they did in the long semesters based on performance on standardized exams (ACS). I always postulated that summer o-chem classes allowed for less time to forget things from beginning to end.

I several times followed my org 1 summer students' grades through their fall Org 2 class. They typically performed at higher levels than those who had taken org 1 in the previous spring.
That's great to hear! I have decided that I'll just go for it and study really hard. I think it will actually be kind of fun to devote that much attention to a single topic and not have to worry about turning in papers and stuff for other classes. Thanks for the advice!