Oakland Essay Number 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TrebizondArcher

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Optional: Is there anything you want the admissions committee to know about your qualifications for medical school that is not already represented in your application materials? Note: This space is provided for new information only, not to promote qualifications already highlighted in your other materials.

I can honestly not think of an additional thing to write about, and that has me worried. What I wanted to write about was my experience working at Beaumont hospital(s) (I'm from SE Michigan) and how Beaumont's standards have impacted me, but that would probably count as promoting things I'd already included.

Members don't see this ad.

Most medical schools have this section and they do not want extraneous elaboration of things you have already written. Plus, if you come up with something outside of your primary and secondary app, you can always send update letters to some of these schools. For reference, I did not fill these sections.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies. I wrote this in order to just have something short to say that I haven't included in my PS or elsewhere, but I'm now considering dropping it entirely:

"An important trait of mine that I think would be a strong qualification for studying medicine is how I introspect upon past experiences as well as my present situation. In the pursuit of excellence—whether in academics or service—I make an effort to reflect on not only what I have completed, but why I completed things in the way I did. In school, this manifests as progressive refinement of my methods of study for each class that I take. Metacognition is a large part of why I have been successful up to the present, as it grants me adaptability to continuously changing circumstances and challenges."