OAT Scores, competitive?

Ztlundgr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Today I took the OAT and I was wondering if my scores are competitive or not. I planned on retaking it because I made the mistake of rescheduling my test too late (you must reschedule 2 BUSINESS days before the test) I ended up being a couple hours too late and so I went into the test without studying at all for it. After the test I received my unofficial score report and was decently surprised with some of the scores (all except the QR). Here's my line:

QR=260=17.0
RC=330=80.4
BI=330=71.8
GC=320=69.1
OC=350=90.6
PS=300=56.9
TS=330=76.9
AA=320=73.3

I don't know if its necessary to list any other parts of my app but I know a lot of people put their GPA's and whatnot. My GPA is 3.67 at a private college and I've done a decent amount of extra curriculars ranging from being a volunteer coordinator to Habitat for Humanity volunteer. I also have around 50 hours of observation in various optometry clinics. I just graduated from college and have decided to take a year of before school. I plan on getting a job as a optician/clinical lab technician this summer and hold it until the next school year commences. My top choices for schools right now are PUCO and ICO. If there is anything else that is needed for the evaluation let me know! I appreciate you taking the time out of your day!

Sincerely,

Z

Members don't see this ad.

Your high gpa should balance out your one sub 300 score so you should be fine!:) good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

What did you use to study for QR

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

I didn't study :/ If you read my initial post I meant to reschedule my test because I hadn't had any time to study yet but I tried to reschedule too late, so rather than just cancel it I just went in a took it with out studying. I know I could do a lot better on QR but most of the content I haven't had since junior high...right now I don't have the money to do a retake but recently got a job so hopefully I can take it again later in the summer if needed.

That is where I am at now...I'm trying to judge whether the cost of the test is worth me retaking the test or if my scores should be sufficient.

Thanks!

Z

Members don't see this ad :)
Your OAT is a little low for PUCO, but the beautiful thing about them is how important interview day is.

They are VERY open about the fact that they would rather have a student with a personality, social ability, and that is going to be a good colleague over someone with a 4.0 and 400.

Your scores should almost guaranteed get you an interview as long as the remainder of your application is quality.

I ended up in a similar situation - we can't stress BUSINESS days enough - it seems obvious, but with life going on and your OAT approaching, details like this can slip your mind! I'm glad we're both done with the test though - your scores with your GPA/ECs seem fine to me. If you don't mind, I'd like to piggy back on your thread...any advice is appreciated!

Z and I seem to have the same idea with working in optical/shadowing/using time out of school to get our apps together. I am, however, going into my second year out of school as I have spent the past year helping my family manage a health crisis for the past year.
My stats:
sGPA: 3.4069, overall GPA: 3.451, last 45 hours (consisting of many upper-level bio classes): 3.71
OAT Scores: TS/AA both 350 (87.4/93.8)
QR 340 86.3
RC 370 96.3
Biology 320 61.7 (I'm a bio major...this was the most surprising score to me!)
Gchem 360 93.0
Ochem 360 94.2
Physics 320 70.5
Approx. 20 shadowing hours, I'm also about a month into a part time technician position with an optometry office. I held a few officer positions during school, did a little volunteering and worked/researched during my senior year. I'm looking to apply this July and I'm really looking to go to UHCO although I'm just shy of the 700 (GPA*100 + OAT) mark. Please address any weaknesses and let me know if you think I'm competitive as is. Thanks everyone!