OB Anesthesia Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Star2285

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is very little information about OB anesthesia fellowships online, and I wanted some advice/opinions. I am currently a CA-2 and obviously have to decide about fellowship soon. I really enjoy OB (I know many many people do not) for a variety of reasons: I like the atmosphere, young, typically healthy patients (I know they are becoming sicker and sicker), and I like doing a procedure and then moving on to the next patient. I like that the patients are usually awake and I am able to interact with them and actually help their pain. I would ultimately really like a job where I am doing OB a majority of the time.
I have tried to ask people whether it would be worth it to do an OB fellowship, and the reviews were pretty mixed. SOme have said that many people do not like doing OB, so if you tell a future employer that you do, that is a good thing and I could probably get a job doing a lot of OB without a fellowship. Some have said that in order to do this I would need a fellowship. Also, I understand that this is the first year that there is a match for OB, however, there is no information about when applications are due etc or when the match actually is. I want to become great at OB anesthesia, but I do not want to waste a year if a fellowship really doesn't matter or look attractive to a future employer. If anyone could enlighten me, I welcome all opinions. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Personally I'd only do an OB fellowship if I was planning on a career in academics. I have seen some primarily OB PP jobs posted but I don't recall them specifically recruiting OB fellows.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is it that you are going to learn in the OB fellowship that you did not learn in residency???
OB anesthesia = spinals and epidurals + occasional GA on patients with questionable airway + know a few things about eclampsia, AFE, and pregnancy in patients with comorbidities. That's it!

I agree that from a skills perspective that it wouldn't be any more beneficial than working for a year after residency in a high OB volume hospital.

There are some pretty sweet gigs at women's hospitals that might take a closer look at you if they're hiring. Maybe.

I don't think I'd do an OB fellowship

I agree that the 1 real reason to do an OB fellowship is to be an academic OB person. That being said, I'm aware of 2 very lucrative women's center gigs in SoCal that would essentially require the fellowship to get your foot in the door (and even then you better have some strong connections to the group or at least be willing to dole out some sexual favors).

What is it that you are going to learn in the OB fellowship that you did not learn in residency???
OB anesthesia = spinals and epidurals + occasional GA on patients with questionable airway + know a few things about eclampsia, AFE, and pregnancy in patients with comorbidities. That's it!

Forgot about the platelets. I thought OB fellowships give you the number of platelets necessary to do regional. Or as the latest ASA newsletter suggests, a chance to become a peridelivery consultant in the obstetrical home.

Seriously though I'd agree, unless interested in an academic career, you can get all of your OB love in a high volume practice. There are plenty out there.

We have a high risk obstetric clinic that has patients come to see the OB anesthesia fellow pre-delivery to discuss plan, etc.

All part of the PSH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That sounds like a worthwhile use of physician time.
The goodwill alone will keep the heat on through the winter.

Reactions: 1 users