Ob Couples Matching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OBruni

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I am a 4th year student applying to OB residency programs and I will be couples matching with my boyfriend who is applying to Neuro. I am looking for some feedback on our prospects.

Our Step 1 Scores are are as follows Me: 216, Him: 230. My Step 2 score is pending at the moment. I got Commendable in ALL of my 3rd year clerkships, he got Honors in most.
For my AIs I did 2 maternal fetal medicine AIs and 1 IM AI; honors in all. We attend a top 25 medical school and we both completed an additional degree (me: MPH, him MA) during medical school.
We have applied to ~40 programs. With clusters in cities such as Boston, NYC, and Chicago. Almost all of the programs I applied to are University based rather than community. I had hoped to apply to 40ish programs and interview at 20.

I am worried that because of my Step 1 score and my commendable 3rd year grades I am not a strong candidate and am wondering if I need to apply to more programs and plan on more interviews. Additionally, when should I start worrying about not getting interviews?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you'll be fine, considering your overall accomplishments and the additional degrees. 40 is a substantial number and just based on what you've described, you should be fine.

Best of luck!