Ob/Gyn rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OB sucks. But it'll be over soon. And you held a warm slippery wet baby during in its first few seconds of life. Or the gruesome reality of metastatic abdominal cancer. Not many people get to experience these things.

The reasoning of, "Not a lot of people experience these things" is not enough justification for me to appreciate it. There's a lot of things in life that people don't normally experience that I'm fine with not going through. Catching a slimy parasite as it is expunged from the birth canal with amniotic fluid flying everywhere while the father is screaming at me to be careful and not drop it (as he simultaneously nearly passes out) is one experience I could have done without.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Perhaps expunged isn't the correct word, but it gets the point across.

Reactions: 1 user
The reasoning of, "Not a lot of people experience these things" is not enough justification for me to appreciate it. There's a lot of things in life that people don't normally experience that I'm fine with not going through. Catching a slimy parasite as it is expunged from the birth canal with amniotic fluid flying everywhere while the father is screaming at me to be careful and not drop it (as he simultaneously nearly passes out) is one experience I could have done without.

:laugh:.

Well. Perhaps distance and memory and nostalgia have a pervasive effect on my ability to reconstruct reality. But I'm gonna stick to a romantic bent of mind. Because right now I'm getting into a rockstar intern mindset. Saving the world one progress note at a time. Fighting crime and passing time, flirting with old ladies.

The world needs my delusions. And I'm not the sort to deny them.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't see the problem here. There's some humor there. Certainly nothing that surprises me. And yes, unless it's because of a patient and or their family, if you're going to cry in medicine because of your interactions with a superior you should go find a quiet corner alone to do it.

OB sucks. But it'll be over soon. And you held a warm slippery wet baby during in its first few seconds of life. Or the gruesome reality of metastatic abdominal cancer. Not many people get to experience these things.
Yeah, uh, no. You're no better than those faculty who believe that you should be a martyr in every aspect of your life for medicine.

"Expunged from the birth canal with amniotic fluid flying while the father is screaming at me to be careful and not drop it" hahaha... certainly shows the love you feel about this rotation. It's just hard to put all in the context that there was a time we all were that -"expunged parasite". Anyhow I get the point as you said. But I don't know how can that be any worse that dealing with C-diff, MRSA, HIV, non compliant diabetics, or even drug addicts (and I am talking about patients that really need dilaudid 2mg IV q2hrs because they are dying of pain, I hope you get the point). Hmmmm.......... some how I don't see how the alternative is better than the first.

Yeah, uh, no. You're no better than those faculty who believe that you should be a martyr in every aspect of your life for medicine.

What? ok. well, I didn't think those comments were beyond the normal range. I didn't say it was cool or that I would do it.

"Expunged from the birth canal with amniotic fluid flying while the father is screaming at me to be careful and not drop it" hahaha... certainly shows the love you feel about this rotation. It's just hard to put all in the context that there was a time we all were that -"expunged parasite". Anyhow I get the point as you said. But I don't know how can that be any worse that dealing with C-diff, MRSA, HIV, non compliant diabetics, or even drug addicts (and I am talking about patients that really need dilaudid 2mg IV q2hrs because they are dying of pain, I hope you get the point). Hmmmm.......... some how I don't see how the alternative is better than the first.

Radiology.

One final word about OB/GYN:

Reactions: 3 users
Ob-Gyn attending feedback:

"You're distant and cold, maybe, numb. Too methodical. In my business, you got to make patients comfortable, and let them see the real you. But, there's hope for you. You have a wife and kid. So, at least, somebody likes you." Harsh but looking back on the comment, it cracks me up everytime thinking about it.

Complete 180 feedback versus FM, where attending stated I was very warm toward patients. In my FM rotation, we had our fair share of Gyn as well. Had FM before Ob.

Go figure. It must be the Ob culture.

Perhaps the attending was projecting.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am female and ob gyn was a traumatic experience for me. It's the only rotation that I have hated so far. Hated every single minute of it.
I've never understood why OB-Gyn residents have to make medical students' lives utterly miserable. I swear they have to be the most catty (behind eachother's backs and to others), passive-aggressive residents. Or maybe it's just the lifestyle of the specialty that makes them that way.

I've never understood why OB-Gyn residents have to make medical students' lives utterly miserable. I swear they have to be the most catty (behind eachother's backs and to others), passive-aggressive residents. Or maybe it's just the lifestyle of the specialty that makes them that way.

Yeah, I know right? And if the Ob/Gyn residents are nasty to med students because their own lives are miserable, well, that's their own fault, isn't it? They must have had some idea of what Ob/Gyn residency would be like, and they chose to do it anyway. Med students aren't responsible for the residents' choices.

There weren't even residents on my rotation - I was at a community hospital without residency programs. One of the OB Gyn attendings was just plain mean and yelled at everyone, including me. Also, and this isn't exclusive to OB Gyn, the OR scrub techs can be rather bossy and rude to med students. The OBs didn't do anything about that. I was really impressed on my Gen Surg rotation when on more than one occasion the surgeon either told the scrub tech to stop or called me out of the OR just to get me away from a bossy scrub tech.

But aside from the personalities, I am not one to ooh and ah and coo over babies and I found birth, both vaginal and C section, to be very bloody and messy. Not how I want to spend my days, each unto his own.

There weren't even residents on my rotation - I was at a community hospital without residency programs. One of the OB Gyn attendings was just plain mean and yelled at everyone, including me. Also, and this isn't exclusive to OB Gyn, the OR scrub techs can be rather bossy and rude to med students. The OBs didn't do anything about that. I was really impressed on my Gen Surg rotation when on more than one occasion the surgeon either told the scrub tech to stop or called me out of the OR just to get me away from a bossy scrub tech.

But aside from the personalities, I am not one to ooh and ah and coo over babies and I found birth, both vaginal and C section, to be very bloody and messy. Not how I want to spend my days, each unto his own.
Community hospitals (esp. those without residencies) are very hit and miss, since they aren't teaching hospitals. They can be the best thing in the world where everyone's happy, or you have mean/cruel attendings (including scrub techs whose employment doesn't depend on you) who just want to get the work done and you're in their way. Needless to say, it takes a special person to go into the field, after rotating..

The most common types of "problem students" according to a study referenced on page 373 of "Success on the Wards" (each bullet lists a "type" of problem student:
  • Bright with poor interpersonal skills
  • Excessively shy, non-assertive
  • Poor integration skills
  • Over-eager
  • Cannot focus on what is important
  • Disorganized
  • Disinterested
  • Poor fund of knowledge
The most frequent are apparently "Bright with poor interpersonal skills" and "Excessively shy, non-assertive."

Excessively-shy, non-assertive subtype was the 2nd most common encountered in OB/GYN rotations.

WONDER WHY.

FML I'm half way into my second week and it's already crap. My commute makes me late, I've forgotten a lot of basic physiology. Everyone is so critical. I want to cry. F hormones and this damn rotation. There has to be a better days. Doc told me today "Your residents hold your grade so don't **** it up" and walked off. Someone tell me I'm not alone.

FML I'm half way into my second week and it's already crap. My commute makes me late, I've forgotten a lot of basic physiology. Everyone is so critical. I want to cry. F hormones and this damn rotation. There has to be a better days. Doc told me today "Your residents hold your grade so don't **** it up" and walked off. Someone tell me I'm not alone.

great insight

Of course you arent alone. OB is a turd and most normal people know it.

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile

15 years later since this post was made, and everything about OB/GYN is true. Terrible rotation, terrible residents, terrible attendings. The absolute ****tiest rotation by far. I'd go through childbirth myself if I could never have to experience this crap rotation again.

15 years later since this post was made, and everything about OB/GYN is true. Terrible rotation, terrible residents, terrible attendings. The absolute ****tiest rotation by far. I'd go through childbirth myself if I could never have to experience this crap rotation again.

My OB rotation was wonderful. Got an LOR out of it.

Surgery is so much worse.

agreed, surgery is way worse that obgyn ,
obgyn much more chill

I absolutely hate this rotation. Part of it is because it's my last 6 weeks of 3rd year and the other half is because it actually sucks

My OB rotation was wonderful. Got an LOR out of it.

Surgery is so much worse.

Hey this is super random, but can I ask which of the DUCOM sites you did OB at? I am most interested in OBGYN (actually left a nursing career waiting for me to pursue it lol) but hate reading all of these horror stories! I'd love to try and rank one of the less malignant ones when the time comes. I'm pretty sure my profile is open for PM's!