Ob gyn shelf exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SF3Marky

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i took the OB GYN shelf exam last friday. i get the results tomorrow. does anyone know what the minimum passing raw score is around. I know it is around 60 or so but what's the spread and standard deviation. someone told me about 55 was passing. i odnt' think that is correct though.

Members don't see this ad.

"Passing" is determined by your school, as far as I'm aware, but I don't know a whole lot about shelf exam regulations.

I didn't feel like the exam was too terribly hard. USMLEWorld is great to prep for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
"Passing" is determined by your school, as far as I'm aware, but I don't know a whole lot about shelf exam regulations.

I didn't feel like the exam was too terribly hard. USMLEWorld is great to prep for it.

I didn't even use UWorld. My school subscribes to the APGO questions. All I used to prepare for this shelf was APGO and Case Files with some supplemental Blueprints.

Which resource did you find most helpful? How long is the exam? Did you feel like there was sufficient time?

i used case files and a beckman book 6th edition and usmle world. i found the test hard, and i find out my score 2day.

i know i am ranked against the people who took the exam across teh nation. i don't know what to expect. i thought about it and i know i made lots and lots of errors.

So there is no set passing mark unlike Step 1? Your school sets that mark?

Is it very detail oriented or more thinking?

The uwise (APGO) question bank has Unit 6: Human Sexuality and Unit 7: Violence against women. I do not know if I will have the time to get to these last 2 sections before my shelf exam. For those of you that have taken the ObGyn shelf, were there any questions like this on the shelf or can I safely skip these last 2 sections?

Maybe one question? Or not even...yeah I wouldn't worry about it. More gyn.

Units 6 & 7 only have 3 quizzes combined, you'll probably have time to at least look them over. If not, the material is largely common sense.

I actually found the UWise questions almost completely useless. It also pissed me off that many of them are written terribly. Not something I'd recommend to anyone with resources like UW around.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are the uWise vignette lengths comaprable to the shelf exam vignette lengths? The question stems are pretty short, so I'm wondering how the actual shelf is (hopefully not as long as IM!).

The UWise Q's are nothing like the shelf exam. At this point into 3rd year, haven't you taken any shelf exams yet??? They are all pretty much identical in terms of vignette length, number of answer choices, etc.

The UWorld Q's are very similar in terms of length. Though the topics they covered, the "high yield" facts, were few and far between on this test I took 2 weeks ago.

I found this to be by far the hardest shelf exam I've taken (Peds, and Psych so far). Not sure if this was a product of our Ob rotation giving us very little time to prepare versus the others, or more that the questions were just really out of nowhere.

Hmm... heard uWise were "useful", just wanted to get a feel for the length, I was pretty sure they were too short. Thanks though. Heard peds was harder than ob/gyn from multiple people...

Hmm... heard uWise were "useful", just wanted to get a feel for the length, I was pretty sure they were too short. Thanks though. Heard peds was harder than ob/gyn from multiple people...
You know, I did find the uwise q's useful--certainly they didn't exactly replicate the shelf, but I thought they were pretty good. I did well on it (99), brw.

I felt this exam was the most straightforward of all shelfs that I've taken. The scope of Ob/Gyn is so limited that it's not hard to have "seen" every possible scenario prior to the test. I felt very prepared with the books I used/APGO. I also didn't study insanely hard.

hey everyone,

my school never bought a subscription to uwise, so i was wondering if someone could tell me the new uwise login/pw. they seemed to have changed the passwords a few weeks ago :scared:

any help at all would be greatly appreciated!! thanks so much!! :)

Took the exam Dec 17th. Found it easier than peds, harder than family medicine. I used Pretest, Lange Q&A, Blueprints. I read through Blueprints once. With Pretest and Lange, I went through all the questions once, and then tried to go through all the missed questions one more time. The shelf was more like Pretest than Lange.

I wanted to Bump this topic since not many people have commented on this shelf lately.

I am currently using PreTest, Case Files, and UWorld. What do you guys who have taken the Ob Shelf think of these resources?

Main text: blueprints
Case book (time permitting): Casefiles
Questions: uworld then uwise (time permitting)

good enough for raw 90+,

pretest was too hard i thought. geared maybe more towards ob/gyn interns.

Seeing as how the scope of OB/GYN is relatively narrow compared to some of the other rotations, what do you all think about just reading FA for step 2 ck and doing practice questions? The 2 FA chapters are like 90 pages combined.

i took the OB GYN shelf exam last friday. i get the results tomorrow. does anyone know what the minimum passing raw score is around. I know it is around 60 or so but what's the spread and standard deviation. someone told me about 55 was passing. i odnt' think that is correct though.
No idea man good luck though