OB/GYN Shelf

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My 2 cents on the Ob/Gyn Shelf, I used:

Blueprints Ob/Gyn
Case Files Ob/Gyn
UWorld Ob/Gyn
UWise

The week before the test I did UWise again quickly and went over my marked UWorld questions. I felt like UWorld/UWise covered nearly all the shelf material aside from things from other subjects (had some minor surgery and medicine). Blueprints was a clutch book but was large, I had no questions relating to practical things like cardinal movements of labor, pregnancy physiology, or specific dating. I did however have more questions than expected on risk factors.

I scored 90, I don't know my percentile because for some reason our school gave us our percentile relative to our class (the only time they ever did something like this).

Members don't see this ad.

My 2 cents on the Ob/Gyn Shelf, I used:

Blueprints Ob/Gyn
Case Files Ob/Gyn
UWorld Ob/Gyn
UWise

The week before the test I did UWise again quickly and went over my marked UWorld questions. I felt like UWorld/UWise covered nearly all the shelf material aside from things from other subjects (had some minor surgery and medicine). Blueprints was a clutch book but was large, I had no questions relating to practical things like cardinal movements of labor, pregnancy physiology, or specific dating. I did however have more questions than expected on risk factors.

I scored 90, I don't know my percentile because for some reason our school gave us our percentile relative to our class (the only time they ever did something like this).

Agree, I highly recommend those resources.

So, I have a question about this stupid shelf exam. I just got back my score and, although I passed, I didn't honor it by any means. How much weight does this have wrt residencies? I thoroughly enjoyed my OB/GYN rotation and am considering going into it, but it has been my lowest shelf yet (gosh, I am stunned as I don't know what happened). Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question regarding practice guidelines...

For breast ca screening, ACOG/ACA and the USPSTF have different recommendations.

For cervical ca screening, CDC and ACOG have different recommendations also...

Do we go by ACOG???

I used Uwise, uworld, casefiles and blueprints.

to be honest, I don't think blueprints helped that much because it's in textbook format and it's really hard to plow through. I haven't gotten back my score yet, just took the exam this friday. Uworld did not cover the subjects well enough and went too much into minutia, I felt like the best high yielding material were the uwise questions and case files, because case files is managment based and not boring to read, and uwise is a lot harder and has more topics than uworld. I felt like the best way to prepare is to ask people on your rotation to pimp you, or just be ready for them to pimp you all the time. The more they pimp you, the more information you retain.

Is it just me or did anyone else notice that there is a bunch of errors in Blueprints? This seems to especially be the case in the gyn chapters I've read so far. This kind of makes my wonder what other errors there are that I haven't caught. Is there an errata list out there somewhere?

I'm really not feeling this Blueprints book - it's really light on the explanations in some areas and think some stuff is explained pretty poorly; anyone have any experience using the Beckmann text?

I just took this shelf last friday, and man was it hard. I did all of uWise, uWorld, CaseFiles, and Beckman, and it just wiped us all out. No one in my school finished early, and not a single person felt great coming out of that exam. I want to say that every question on there was harder than uWISE (definitely seems like those questions are getting outdated). It also totally went against what our clerkship director said would be the case: "The shelf is going to seem easy after uWISE".

My apologies. I overlooked the thread on this topic on this page.

Last edited:
Is there more OB or GYN on the shelf? Also, what are the most commonly tested topics?

Any good question sources other than UWorld and UWise? I plan on hitting UWorld hard of course, but since there are only ~250 questions I don't think this is enough. It also seems that UWise is getting to be out of date and I have heard that Pretest is weak for OB. Any other resources? Thanks!