OB switching to FM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deucerp

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be switching to an FM program that doesn't have an OB fellowship. I was wondering if anyone knew if I might still be able to apply for the CAQ with all the stats I've racked up this year as an OB intern and possibly taking some electives in my FM program? Thanks, any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

what is the "CAQ"?

I was wondering if anyone knew if I might still be able to apply for the CAQ with all the stats I've racked up this year as an OB intern and possibly taking some electives in my FM program?

The only fellowships that are accredited by the RRC/ACGME and lead to a Certificate of Added Qualification (CAQ) by the ABFM are in geriatrics, sports medicine, and adolescent medicine.

Completion of an OB fellowship in FM just gives you additional training and experience, and may assist you in credentialing.

Members don't see this ad :)
About a year and a half ago, there was talk of an OB-FP board certification in the works, with a standardized test administered jointly by ACOG and AAFP.

I'd do a little research on that front to see if those discussions have cooled or if that process is still moving forward. And keep good records of your deliveries and CS's so that you can jump on the opportunity if it occurs.

Agreed. You don't need a fellowship to do OB in FM. You've kind of pretty much already done your fellowship, you know?! ;)

All you need is numbers and hospital privileges, and that varies by region and hospital. Once you find out where you want to work, ask around at the hospitals in the area for their requirements. I imagine you'll have more than enough deliveries for privileges.

In many ways, you are in a great position. Sometimes I wish I had done the same, though the switching is a pain.

Best of luck to you!

Thanks for the input. Yeah, i'm pretty excited to have the flexibility in the future to do kind of what I want to. I'm actually somewhat interested now in possbily finding an academic spot and maybe become the OB attending for a Family program. Who knows? Nice to have options