Obama Declines Signing National Governors' Assoc Opioid RX Rec...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drusso

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score
I can count on one hand the number of times that I've agreed with an Obama Administration policy decision, but this might be one them. Rural communities need real help NOT hot air, useless guidelines, and moo-shu medicine. Instead, rural practitioners need resources and access to state block grants that aren't awarded based on crony politics and closed door/back table shenanigans, but bonafide expertise:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_OBAMA_GOVERNORS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

"If we go to doctors right now and say 'Don't overprescribe' without providing some mechanisms for people in these communities to deal with the pain that they have or the issues that they have, then we're not going to solve the problem, because the pain is real, the mental illness is real," Obama said. "In some cases, addiction is already there."

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I agree that before endorsing any such limits, the amounts and under what conditions there would be limits would have to be spelled out, and the ramifications of withdrawal and heroin seeking such limits would create would have to be addressed pre-emotively. On the other hand, doctors need limits on prescribing given the current state of medical science that fails to support high dose opioids.