Observation hours overkill...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scrawnyguy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it's not a great name for a thread title but I'm not feeling all that clever this morning.

I'm planning on applying to PT school for the fall 2016 term. When I left the Army last spring I was lucky enough to land an internship at a hospital that just ended yesterday and have me over 600 observation hours. With the hours I previously had I am probably sitting around 700 hours. I am going to volunteer on a military post next spring to bolster my app to Army Baylor. That should give me another 100 or so hours. I'm getting the GI Bill right now while I finish my last few prereqs which helps pay the bills but I'll probably get a part time to help me earn some extra gas/beer money. I thought it might be nice to pick up a part time or per diem PT Aide position so that I can gain even more experience but I'm really not seeing a lot out there at this time. Here's my question, should I even worry about getting another PT job or just take whatever I can find? I know a lot of applicants will have more than minimum 100 observation hours but do you think there is a point where the amount of hours doesn't matter. I'm not saying you can have too many but do you really think there is a big difference between 800 and 1000?

Members don't see this ad.

No, I dont think there is a big difference btwn 800 & 1000. What is important is that you have varied your observation hour settings - inpatient, out patient, geriatrics, peds, neuro, skilled nursing, etc. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
do you really think there is a big difference between 800 and 1000?

No difference between the two whatsoever. Unless those extra 200 hours were in multiple settings that you hadn't already observed.

Like the poster above me said, breadth of experience is valued more than depth. If you already have a ton of hours, piling on more without increasing the number of different practice settings you are observing won't have any effect on your chances of acceptance.

That's pretty much what I was thinking. I really like the work so if a part time job opened up I would definitely take it, but the only positions I see right now are per diem. I have friends who work in similar positions and their schedules are very inconsistent. They might get 4 hours one week and 30 the next. I would much rather have a job with a set schedule, even if it's something boring like answering phones for my school's admissions office.

Since I am using the GI Bill I am eligible for VA Work Study. That allows me to work pretty much anywhere the VA does business, including VA hospitals. I was trying to set something up with the local VA hospital to work in their PT dept. Unfortunately the HR guy over there that handles placements is extremely unreliable and perhaps even bordering on incompetent. He's
undoubtedly going to drop the ball. That may be for the best though. I've talked to people who work there and they said the facilities are decrepit and the morale is low. It's also probably at least a half hour each way (probably a lot longer during rush hour). I'm already drive 80 miles each way to Ft. Carson once a week so I don't know if I really to spend any more time in my car than I have to. I'm not a patient driver and that would probably leave me miserable.

It should be a light semester at school. I have a couple prereqs and some BS classes to fill my schedule. I think picking up an easy job at school might be the best bet. I could go from class, to work, and even the gym without leaving campus. The last couple of semesters have been super hectic. I think a nice chill semester is well deserved.

Last edited:
If I were in your position, I would probably try and volunteer at another setting different from what you already have, and apply for any part time job ! Being a PT aide surely helps regarding personal experiences as a PT, but it doesn't help drastically when it comes to applications, as mentioned above breadth over depth.

If I were in your position, I would probably try and volunteer at another setting different from what you already have, and apply for any part time job ! Being a PT aide surely helps regarding personal experiences as a PT, but it doesn't help drastically when it comes to applications, as mentioned above breadth over depth.

I think that's the route I'm going to go. Ft. Carson is willing to let me float between PT areas which should give me a little breadth. Most of my hours have been in Neuro thus far. I'm going to have to work full time from May of next year until August or so of 2016. If I play my cards right I might be able to turn whatever part time job I land into a full time gig once schools ends.

Honestly, there is probably no difference between 200 and 2500 in terms of applications. It depends on the variety more so.

Reactions: 1 users
truth

I just got home from Drexel, where the faculty member interviewing me simply noted that
I had "observed at a bunch of different places," going off some notes she had jotted down.

My PTCAS application explicitly states I have 100 hours inpatient, 150 hours outpatient,
and 2 hours hippotherapy.

Last edited:
I have a new dilemma for the group. It looks like the VA Work Study at the local VA hospital I described above may come through after all, although with a caveat. I scrolled through the email traffic between the PT dept. and the HR guy who handles placements. Apparently there is a new regulation that severely restricts the duties of non-staff members in their clinics. The regulation is so strict that they are no longer allowing volunteers in the dept. The POC in the PT dept. is still unsure if my classification as a VA work study student would allow me a little more freedom or not. They are going to look into it some more but for the time being I would be restricted to administrative duties and I may have almost no direct contact with patients. If this is indeed the extent of of duties there would that type of experience even be able to be counted as under volunteer/observation hours? While my direct patient contact would be limited, I would probably get to see what happens behind the scenes of a PT clinic. From what I understand this is one of the reasons they like us to observe. It gives us a chance to see the "grease" that allows clinics to run smoothly. Any thoughts?

I have a new dilemma for the group. It looks like the VA Work Study at the local VA hospital I described above may come through after all, although with a caveat. I scrolled through the email traffic between the PT dept. and the HR guy who handles placements. Apparently there is a new regulation that severely restricts the duties of non-staff members in their clinics. The regulation is so strict that they are no longer allowing volunteers in the dept. The POC in the PT dept. is still unsure if my classification as a VA work study student would allow me a little more freedom or not. They are going to look into it some more but for the time being I would be restricted to administrative duties and I may have almost no direct contact with patients. If this is indeed the extent of of duties there would that type of experience even be able to be counted as under volunteer/observation hours? While my direct patient contact would be limited, I would probably get to see what happens behind the scenes of a PT clinic. From what I understand this is one of the reasons they like us to observe. It gives us a chance to see the "grease" that allows clinics to run smoothly. Any thoughts?

If you will be observing a specific PT who will be willing to verify your observation hours when the experience is over, then they will show up as observation hours. If not, I would say its probably not worth your time as far as applications go. And realize that you could be asked about your observation experiences in interviews, and they are going to want to hear about what you learned regarding PT, not clerical duties. You don't need to be actually working with patients yourself, but you do need to be watching a PT work with patients.

I should mention that as far as job opportunities for the spring term I don't have many options left. I am trying to stick to either on campus or VA work study positions because they are generally more accommodating when it comes to allowing time off for class, studying, etc. Unfortunately most on campus positions are already filled by students hired at the beginning of the academic year. My only other option is to work for the Veterans' Service Office on campus. It actually would pay be more per hour, but the VA work study pay is tax free so I would probably end up making more at the working at the hospital. Of course when figuring in extra travel time and gas money it will probably come out even from a monetary perspective.

Well if it's a job that you are getting paid for, then a job's a job, regardless of whether or not it's observation hours. You just have to do observation hours on the side.

I was thinking it might be good for networking as well. Getting to know a few more PTs can't hurt, especially if I want to practice in this area when all is said and done. They are in the process of building a brand new, billion dollar VA hospital in the area. When it is completed it will supposedly house one of the top TBI/SCI rehab facilities in the country. Unfortunately I will be long gone before they are finished.

Unfortunately I will be long gone before they are finished.

"Long gone", like in "dead"? I know the guvmint is slow, but it can't be that slow...

Reading through your first posts in this thread, I would just take the job with highest pay and best flexibility for you. You have tons of hours, I would bet a few more won't significantly influence your admission decision.

"Long gone", like in "dead"? I know the guvmint is slow, but it can't be that slow...
Didn't 40 or so people die while waiting for care on a "secret" waiting list at the Phoenix VA? The wheels of progress move very slowly at the VA.

Seriously though, I'll probably be heading elsewhere for PT school. Army-Baylor in Texas is my top choice. If I get in I'll put in 10 years or so which will give me 20 total for retirement. I love the area and would love to come back after I retire at the ripe old age of 45 but I think my wife is homesick for the west coast. When all is said and done I have a feeling I'll end up out there.