Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

Observership in usa

Discussion in 'International Dental' started by geministudent, 01.02.11.

1. Thanks to Crack the NBDE
  1. geministudent

geministudent

SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    how do i get an observership in dentistry in usa?
  2. VenkatV

VenkatV

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    By asking.
  3. shaaka

shaaka Junior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Can international dentist work in any state after a DDS degree and passing the licensure exam?
  4. dentistindia22

dentistindia22

can anyone plz guide me how long should i do observership in us??
  5. MexicanDDS85

MexicanDDS85

Pre-Dental
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Hi guys
    i wat to tell you what i know about the observationships.

Some schools have this programs,
    washington university 35 000 for 1 year
    usc 7 000 per month
    llu 15 000 per 3 months
    ucla 5 000 pero 4 months
    columbia university 8 000 per 3 months.
    Buffalo university i do not know how much
    san antonio (texas university) 36 000 per 1 year. They canceled this year
    ucsf 5 000 per 3 months

some schools also have special progrmas for foreign dentists where they can practice, such as nyu and ucla
    for instance nyu have this programs in all the areas (ortho, perio, pedo, endo, maxi, prostho, etc)
    the cost is 75 000 per 1 year and you will practice on patients.

Ucla hace 2 programs: Esthetic dentistry and restorative dentistry, both are clinical (work on patient) and preclinical (laboratory work)
    the cost is 30 k per year.

Next year, the nbde score will be only pass/fail, no numeric score!
    So all universities will check you curriculum vitae (cv) and scores in toefl, and gpa.
    So studying any observationship or preceptorship will make you cv very strong.

Some people will say that observationships and preceptorships are not useful or wasting time. I am not agree.
    Usually people who say that is because they do not have money to pay one. No matter is you take observationship or preceptorship, you will learn a lot, you will learn more because they give you lecture classes every day and clinical participation in all the dental specialties (it is better than just be dental assistant)
    how long you should take? Has long as you can, if you can take it 1 year, it is perfect, or if you take less it's good too.
  6. chamfer

chamfer

Dentist
    I didn't find anything in the Washington dental school for preceptorship or anything like that. can u guide me where to look for it?!
  7. BombayBDS

BombayBDS

Dental Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Also, it makes sense to take a preceptorship program at the school you want to study DDS / Advanced DDS.

If you do not have any exp in the USA, I would def recommend that you go for such a course.
  8. dentalgal22

dentalgal22

Pre-Dental
    hi,
    even im looking for observership in washington state.... can u plz guide me regarding this.... i wanna apply for it...
  9. MexicanDDS85

MexicanDDS85

Pre-Dental
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    hey guys!
    the observationship is at washington university.
    now only the prosthodontics observationship is available (you know some call observationship other schools name them as preceptorship, internship or externship).
    here is the link:

http://www.dental.washington.edu/departments/restorative/faculty/Externship.php

in case you cannot open the link
    here I copy and paste the informatin

Graduate Prosthodontics Observational Externship

Department Information:
    Please send all application materials to:
    Ms. Mickey Schulz,
    Program Coordinator
    Graduate Prosthodontics
    University of Washington
    Department of Restorative Dentistry, Room D-780 HSB
    1959 NE Pacific Street, Box 357456
    Seattle, Washington 98195

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].Externship Description

The Graduate Prosthodontics observational externship is a Continuing Dental Education program within the University of Washington, Department of Restorative Dentistry. It is designed to allow the extern to develop an in-depth appreciation and understanding of an advanced prosthodontics curriculum. The extern will participate in academic courses, review of the scientific literature, and intense observation of many different clinical procedures within the Graduate Prosthodontics Clinic. Externships are as short as one week, or as long as a year.

While this program does not involve the direct hands-on treatment of patients, the extern will have the opportunity to observe our broad spectrum of prosthodontic and implant related procedures. They will also have the opportunity to interact with the other graduate programs that we interrelate with closely, including Graduate Periodontics, Graduate Endodontics, and Graduate Orthodontics. The University of Washington has a world renowned faculty, in both the arenas of clinical and research, within each facet of dentistry.

Common procedures within the Graduate Prosthodontic Clinic include advanced diagnosis and treatment planning, the fabrication of removable complete and partial dentures, crowns, implant supported restorations, complete mouth rehabilitation and esthetic procedures. Externs will have the opportunity to observe complex cases in all phases of diagnosis, treatment planning and execution. Externs will also have the opportunity to participate in hands-on lab courses.

This program is available for variable durations decided after consultation with the director of Graduate Prosthodontics as to the applicants’ goals.

Fee Structure

One week: $2,000
    Four weeks: $5,000
    One Quarter: $9,000
    Six Months (2 Qtrs) $16,000
    One Year (4 Qtrs) $30,000
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

Application and Selection Process

A letter of interest or email correspondence from the applicant is sufficient in order to initiate the application process. Upon receipt of letter of interest, application materials will be sent to applicant by the department. The Director of the Graduate Prosthodontics Program will review the letters of interest. The oberservational externship can be customized based on the goals of the attendee.

Applicants will be selected based on availability. It is intended to admit no more than two externs at a given time. Applicants need to have a current dental license in the state or country of their residence. A proof of active licensure needs to be provided with the application. If the proof is in a foreign language, a translated and certified copy is to be submitted.

This is an elective non-credit program with no formal language proficiency requirement; however, the externship applicant should have a working knowledge of English. After application materials have been received and reviewed, a phone interview with the Program Director will be required before admittance in order to assess language proficiency. The interview will confirm the dates of attendance requested by the applicant, and will clarify the applicant’s goals and expectations for the observational externship during their visit to the University of Washington .

All application materials must be submitted to:

Ms. Mickey Schulz
    University of Washington
    Graduate Prosthodontics
    1959 NE Pacific Street, D780
    Box 357456
    Seattle, WA 98195-7456

10. aggg

aggg

Dental Student
    i am about to complete my one year internship in india. and i will be sitting for my step 1 nbde next year (maybe in may or june). hence i can only apply for colleges for the year 2014. i was wondering if there any any observerships or short courses that i can apply for. and if its possible to apply for these without my nbde scores. please help.
  11. nj dental

nj dental

Dental Student
    Hey guys
    I am done with part 1...and was looking for observership and volunteer positions..I asked few dentists ,left my resume but haven't heard anything till date...I dont have any clinical experience ...Should I enroll myself in mph or other health related program to improve my chances ? Can you please suggest how you guys get to do observership at local dentist..just walk in or send them email first ...was it like really hard to get ?
  12. dentovis

dentovis The Lady with the Words.

MPH is always a good option. It's an additional qualification!
  13. adks19

adks19

Dental Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    hey njdental,
    Take the yellow book and start calling one by one to all dentists' office and keep track of ur conversations if they ask ur resume or whatever, esp call those who are from ur country to start with.. You can even search online.
    Keep doing it daily, probably in few days, u ll get a chance.
    This is what i did, hope it works for you also.
  14. nj dental

nj dental

Dental Student
    Thanks dentovis and adks19 for your prompt reply
    I think calling dentists from my country is a good idea...I will definately call them first ..lets see how it goes
    I am also considering MPH as plan B to improve my resume ...do you have any idea if I have to complete MPH before starting dental school ? or I can just leave once I get in ?
  15. munmax

munmax

Dental Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    that is some amazing bit of information! :thumbup:

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal