Obstacles....Secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IntelInside

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about obstacles on the secondary applications.

For example:

Suny Stony Brook

DESCRIBE AN OBSTACLE YOU'VE OVERCOME AND HOW IT HAS DEFINED YOU.

I have been blessed in the fact that I have not really encountered hard obstacles in my life and I am truly fortunate for that. So would it be ok/good to say this and go on to explain that in many other ways my actions/volunteer work are what has defined me and how I would deal with an obstacle when I encounter one?

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt many people will respond to this since any good response will likely be plagiarized.

your obstacle is that you've never had to overcome any obstacles

Members don't see this ad :)

For example:

Suny Stony Brook

I have been blessed in the fact that I have not really encountered hard obstacles in my life and I am truly fortunate for that. So would it be ok/good to say this and go on to explain that in many other ways my actions/volunteer work are what has defined me and how I would deal with an obstacle when I encounter one?

You don't have to think of some amazing obstacle that you overcame. Just be sincere and pick something personal to you that challenged you. For instance, I wrote about a situation that occurred when I participated in high school sports.

Life is basically a bunch of obstacles, and you grow from overcoming them. It doesn't have to be a big, rising-from-the-ashes type of obstacle. Come on, you can't possibly say you haven't had any difficulties ever, not even an academic one?

Adcoms want to know how you have dealt and will deal with obstacles because you will more than likely run into at least one in medical school.

Everyone has something! If you can't come up with anything you will look lazy.

For example:

Suny Stony Brook

Does anyone you know seriously doubt your ability to succeed in medicine? Have you had a professor who had a super tough course, yet you aced it? Did you have to compete for an exec position in an organization? Do you play an instrument and had to audition for something? Do your friends not understand how much you need to study and get upset when you pick school over them? Have you had to take a class more than once? Did a family pet die? Did you break a bone and couldnt do dance class when you were little?

These are just a couple ideas. They aren't serious obsticles, but things that can make you a better person.

thanks for responses, I thought they meant serious obstacles thanks for the insight.