Obtaining In-state tuition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Since this got bumped up...The list had Florida listed as "yes." I thought I heard somewhere on SDN that they actually changed it recently, and you can no longer become a resident for tuition purposes. Can anyone verify that?

Members don't see this ad.

Since this got bumped up...The list had Florida listed as "yes." I thought I heard somewhere on SDN that they actually changed it recently, and you can no longer become a resident for tuition purposes. Can anyone verify that?

I am pretty sure that you CANNOT get instate without first working full time for a year (and be part time or less) or by marriage. I have a friend who differed enrollment to work for a year then go to UF vet school as in state

Members don't see this ad :)
I called most of the vet programs today and here are the results:

No:
Auburn
Colorado State
Cornell
UF
LSU
Michigan State
Mississippi State
Oklahoma State
Oregon State
Purdue
Texas A&M
Tuskegee

Yes:
UC Davis
Minnesota
Missouri
NC State
Ohio State
Washington State

No one answered, left a message:
Iowa State
Kansas State
Tennessee
Virgina-Maryland
Wisconsin
Illinois- Called them, said to go to website under FAQ's but not addressed there.

Now I didnt call:

Georgia-They admit almost no non-residents
Penn- Same rates for IS/OOS
Western- Same rates
Tufts-3k difference, still paying 37k+ either way

Now when they said "no" I did not ask about the whole marriage thing as I would not be pursuing that. I also got alot of the no's saying that if the reason for you being in their state is solely education that it does not count as being a resident.

Some of those yes responses need clarification b/c if you read through some of the threads for specific programs you will find that "yes it is POSSIBLE, but 99% of the time, it doesn't happen." example....minnesota.

ETA: that's if you're considering obtaining residency after acceptance...not moving prior to applying.

Ah yes I did not ask anything specific, just if you have the option and are allowed to apply for in-state tuition after the first year. Does anyone have a list of the easier programs to get IS tuition after the first year?

The lady at washington state said that over 90% of students pay instate rates after their first year.

Thanks!

Ah yes I did not ask anything specific, just if you have the option and are allowed to apply for in-state tuition after the first year. Does anyone have a list of the easier programs to get IS tuition after the first year?

The lady at washington state said that over 90% of students pay instate rates after their first year.

Thanks!

Mizzou and Ohio State are 2 i know for sure.

Some of those yes responses need clarification b/c if you read through some of the threads for specific programs you will find that "yes it is POSSIBLE, but 99% of the time, it doesn't happen." example....minnesota.

ETA: that's if you're considering obtaining residency after acceptance...not moving prior to applying.

I'd like to back this up. I'm working on it for Minnesota, but the lady told me that it's not super likely or easy, "so if you can't afford it without residency, you should seriously consider other schools."

The only reason I'm working on it in spite of this is because I plan on being there for 8+ years and I have other incentives for going there. Also, I would like to live in the state post-graduation.

For Minnesota, you'll need to work 10+ hours a week outside the school, move all your identification (driver's license, permanent address, voting) to the state, wait one full year before applying (so the first year will be OOS regardless of what you do), and somehow indicate that you are forming connections that will lead you to employment in the state after graduation. It also appears that the standards for processing the application can be somewhat subjectively/capriciously applied.

The only reason I'm working on it in spite of this is because I plan on being there for 8+ years and I have other incentives for going there. Also, I would like to live in the state post-graduation.

Why are you planning on being there for 8+ years?

Why are you planning on being there for 8+ years?

DVM/PhD.

(Unrelated, but I'd never more than glanced at your avatar before, and I always thought it was some kind of photoshopped creepy horse head. I just looked closer today and was like "OH! It's a guy juggling fire!" Total surprise.)

I thought MN gave you tuition remission for the second half of your vet school once you defended, so it's only 1 year that you would potentially be saving (although it might be worth it given their OOS cost). When I was interviewing, they said that they were not supposed to talk much about gaining residency because there were a lot of rumors, but it does sound very subjective.

Iowa is a big, fat NO, as is Kansas. It looks like Illinois is a no, also. From their website (link was in their DVM brochure)(their emphasis):
1a. What do I, an independent student, have to do to become an Illinois resident for tuition purposes?
The University of Illinois requires that you be a bona fide resident of Illinois for one calendar year prior to the term for which you are applying for resident status. The University's requirements to establish residency may be different than other Illinois institutions of higher education or government agencies. Bona fide residency involves being gainfully employed and actually living in the state for one year, and taking other specific actions which link you to the state of Illinois. It also requires that you reside in Illinois primarily for reasons that are not related to receiving an education. It's important that actions be completed before the beginning of the term in which you are attempting to establish residency.

I thought MN gave you tuition remission for the second half of your vet school once you defended, so it's only 1 year that you would potentially be saving (although it might be worth it given their OOS cost). When I was interviewing, they said that they were not supposed to talk much about gaining residency because there were a lot of rumors, but it does sound very subjective.

Exactly, basically. Still worth it for 20k off, but also the reason I'm still going even if I can't get the 20k off.

Except, the residency lady and the grad school people apparently don't talk much, because she seemed to be trying to tell me that their promises had been bullpuckey, which I strongly doubt. That school is so supermassive that it doesn't particularly surprise me that some miscommunication has happened, though.

DVM/PhD.

(Unrelated, but I'd never more than glanced at your avatar before, and I always thought it was some kind of photoshopped creepy horse head. I just looked closer today and was like "OH! It's a guy juggling fire!" Total surprise.)

That's Dave juggling fire! Talk about an interesting talent, huh?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's Dave juggling fire! Talk about an interesting talent, huh?

Is it bad that I thought "that would be a cool ec" when you said that? :laugh:

That's awesome! I'd be afraid I'd burn myself. Because I'm a klutz.

I got a call back from virginia and they are a definite no.

I called most of the vet programs today and here are the results:

No:
Auburn
Colorado State
Cornell
UF
LSU
Michigan State
Mississippi State
Oklahoma State
Oregon State
Purdue
Texas A&M
Tuskegee

Yes:
UC Davis
Minnesota
Missouri
NC State
Ohio State
Washington State

very helpful list for going thru which schools to apply to now/be less scared of the really high fees, bumping it for all of us starting to shorten our lists now!

very helpful list for going thru which schools to apply to now/be less scared of the really high fees, bumping it for all of us starting to shorten our lists now!

i hope you read the rest of the thread b/c even though some are "yes" doesn't mean it is an easy accomplishment. for example, gaining IS tuition status after year 1 is a lot different for, say, mizzou & ohio, than for minnesota. this was already discussed in the thread after the list was submitted, but i just wanted to point it out since it was bumped...in case the newer members don't want to read through it.

Holy Crap! I've been trying to figure out what the heck that was. Now I can see it.

I do miss "dirty hippie" tho.

(Background)
So I'm a WI resident that was accepted as an undergrad to Madison, but decided to go OOS to AZ for my undergrad. As for vet school, I was rejected from Madison (tears:(....) But on the bright side, I've been accepted to Mizzou. The MO students I met during my interview were all bright and bubbly, and the interviewers were all very nice, besides a question about what the scientific name for brewers yeast was (I worked at a microbrewery and restaurant for a summer). Overall, very excited to go to Missouri! I plan on moving in July.

Anyways, for in-state tuition to Missouri, I understand that I should get a MO license, lease in my name, have bank records and earn 2,000 in taxable income.. but what about the specifics?

Do I need to get my car's license plate changed right away? Should I be keeping a weekly record of going to the bank, receipts, etc? How specific are they? Anyone refused in-state tuition after trying to apply their first year and why?

Thanks in advance. Any tips are appreciated.

Definite yes:
Ohio
Missouri
Florida
UC Davis
North Carolina
Minnesota
Washington State

Definite no's:
Colorado State
Mississippi State
Penn
Kansas State
Oregon State
Virginia-Maryland
Cornell
Louisiana State

Very difficult, but with exceptions
Auburn - marriage to resident; possibly military
Oklahoma - marriage to resident
Iowa State - marriage to resident
Tennessee - marriage to resident

Definite yes:
UC Davis
Florida
Minnesota
Missouri
North Carolina
Ohio
Washington State

Definite no's:

Colorado State
Cornell
Kansas State
Louisiana StateMississippi State
Oregon State
Penn
Virginia-Maryland

Michigan State - marriage to resident

Definite yes:
UC Davis
Minnesota
Missouri
North Carolina
Ohio
Washington State

Definite no's:

Colorado State
Cornell
Florida
Kansas State
Louisiana StateMississippi State
Oregon State
Penn
Virginia-Maryland

*** Correcting Florida. It is a definite NO for gaining residency, I confirmed with admissions this year as I was accepted OOS.

Also, I wouldn't say "definite" for some of the schools. Highly likely if you do everything they tell you to do and follow the guidelines, but not definite... you still need to apply to be reclassified as IS (i.e. NCSU)

Definite yes:
UC Davis
Minnesota
Missouri
North Carolina
Ohio
Washington State

Definite no's:

Colorado State
Cornell
FloridaKansas State
Louisiana State
Mississippi State
Oregon State
Penn
Virginia-Maryland

Illinois - marriage to resident

Also, I wouldn't say "definite" for some of the schools. Highly likely if you do everything they tell you to do and follow the guidelines, but not definite... you still need to apply to be reclassified as IS (i.e. NCSU)

You can say definite no to LSU. I would love to say there was a .00001% chance around that, but they are firm in their "if you pay OOS tuition you stay that way for 4 years"

You can say definite no to LSU. I would love to say there was a .00001% chance around that, but they are firm in their "if you pay OOS tuition you stay that way for 4 years"

Sorry, I should clarify... I meant that to be for the "definite yes" category. The definite NO's are definite NO's :p. But for those in the definite yes category, I wouldn't say "definite" for some of the schools. Highly likely if you do everything they tell you to do and follow the guidelines, but not definite... you still need to apply to be reclassified as IS (i.e. NCSU)

Sorry, I should clarify... I meant that to be for the "definite yes" category. The definite NO's are definite NO's :p. But for those in the definite yes category, I wouldn't say "definite" for some of the schools. Highly likely if you do everything they tell you to do and follow the guidelines, but not definite... you still need to apply to be reclassified as IS (i.e. NCSU)

So maybe more like, Can be done with perseverance :laugh:

I think I said this in another thread, but at RVC, students accepted from the USA will always have 'out of country' tuition prices. So RVC (London) would be a definite No for obtaining UK tuition prices (which btw, are ridiculously cheap!)

Anyone have any experience with Purdue's policy? I've read the website policy, but would like to know if someone actually was successful.

I talked to someone who went to purdue married, and was able to obtain instate after a year. He did say there were lots of loops to jump through.

Definite yes:
UC Davis
Minnesota
Missouri
North Carolina
Ohio
Washington State

Definite no's:

Colorado State
Cornell
FloridaKansas State
Louisiana State
Mississippi State
Oregon State
Penn
Virginia-Maryland

Illinois - marriage to resident
Purdue - marriage to resident

Tufts told me you must stay whatever you come in as - so no switching to instate. Though at Tufts instate only saves you like $2 or $3k a year anyways.

Tufts told me you must stay whatever you come in as - so no switching to instate. Though at Tufts instate only saves you like $2 or $3k a year anyways.

Haha, yeah...doesn't make much of a difference I guess. Thanks for the info though! :)

Does someone have an updated list of vet schools that allow a change in residency after one year, for the class of 2016 hopefuls.

Please and Thank You:D

I am unaware of any changes in the list since last year.

Same here. However, I would like to point something out to fellow 2016 hopefuls: the few schools that allow you to gain in-state residency this year may not in the future as we continue with this crappy economy. I think that's important to keep in mind! If you can't afford to pay OOS all four years, taking a seat at one of these schools with the intention of switching to in-state tuition after your first year could be a risky move.

Disclaimer: I'm not preaching; I am merely commiserating because I want to apply to Mizzou this year and I'm afraid I could end up doing this: :smack:

Same here. However, I would like to point something out to fellow 2016 hopefuls: the few schools that allow you to gain in-state residency this year may not in the future as we continue with this crappy economy. I think that's important to keep in mind! If you can't afford to pay OOS all four years, taking a seat at one of these schools with the intention of switching to in-state tuition after your first year could be a risky move.

Disclaimer: I'm not preaching; I am merely commiserating because I want to apply to Mizzou this year and I'm afraid I could end up doing this: :smack:

I know when Florida stopped allowing in-state changes (a year or two ago?) they let the last class who applied and accepted on the old rules to still switch. Hopefully other schools would be similarly gracious.

The way I read Minnesota's webpage it isn't very likely...
http://admissions.tc.umn.edu/PDFs/ResidencyReciprocity.pdf
"Students from Other States. If a student from another state moves
to Minnesota and attends a post-secondary institution within the
first calendar year before attending the University, that student
shall be classified as a nonresident and will remain a nonresident
throughout his or her presence as a student. The nonresident classification will not change for a student who moved to Minnesota
for the primary purpose of attending a post-secondary institution.
After the first year, the classification may change for a student who
establishes that his or her purpose in moving to Minnesota was
not primarily to attend school but rather that he or she moved to
Minnesota with the intent to remain in Minnesota as a permanent
resident. Look at the section Supporting Evidence on the next
page for more information.
Spouses and Common Households. Marital status and common
household relationships may support an application for resident
status but do not in and of themselves meet the Basic Definition of
Residency.

Supporting Evidence. Actions such as the following may help to
support an application for resident status insofar as they apply
to the Basic Definition of Resident Status: maintaining a
permanent address in Minnesota; listing Minnesota as the military
home of record; registering to vote or voting by absentee ballot
in Minnesota; maintaining Minnesota automobile registration;
owning property in Minnesota and paying state property tax;
filing a Minnesota tax return; and remaining in Minnesota during
the summer. Such actions are considered to indicate an applicant's
intention to remain in Minnesota as a permanent resident. They
are not, however, su icient in and of themselves to establish residency"

Hey Wallaroo,
I'm a WI resident as well. Applied to Mizzou, MN, and WI. My small animal vet reference is an Alum of Mizzou, so he steered me in that direction as well. Nice to hear that Mizzou saw something that WI did not. I hate that WI doesn't do interviews!!

As for everyone else, I toured MN and the question of residency came up. The answer was basically, if you start as an Out-of-State, you end as an Out-of-State.

Saw this on the UGA website, even though they rarely admit OOS students. Thought this might be helpful for the .01% :D.
*Important Note: Once a student matriculates into The University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine, he/she cannot change his/her tuition classification to become a Georgia resident for tuition purposes.

As for everyone else, I toured MN and the question of residency came up. The answer was basically, if you start as an Out-of-State, you end as an Out-of-State.

That was the answer at MN?? Who told you that? I know several people who started non-resident but gained residency status.

I can't speak to how easy/common it is, but it's certainly not as cut and dry as "if you start [non-resident], you end [non-resident]."

What if you were born in a "definite no" state but aren't a resident? I'm interested in Virginia-Maryland but I'm a resident of California. I was born in Virginia though and my mother still lives there.

Does anyone know?

What if you were born in a "definite no" state but aren't a resident? I'm interested in Virginia-Maryland but I'm a resident of California. I was born in Virginia though and my mother still lives there.

Does anyone know?
Where your mother lives is irrelevant. If you don't meet the residency rules, then you are SOL.

Now, you could always try establishing residency with your mommy to try to meet the requirements. Just don't screw up and end up with dual residency legally, especially if you have a job. Then you get to pay taxes in 2 states! Yes that happens as unfair as it seems.

And if you list the IS as your home state in VMCAS you are pretty much screwed.

That was the answer at MN?? Who told you that? I know several people who started non-resident but gained residency status.

I can't speak to how easy/common it is, but it's certainly not as cut and dry as "if you start [non-resident], you end [non-resident]."

I'm glad there's hope.... this is my number one question when I interview next week...

Does anyone know about Purdue if you are married to someone from out of state as well, but if they gain residency while you are there? I will be married by the time I go to school and he's planning on gaining residency where ever we go. He'll be working and supporting us so it won't be hard for him. I'm just wondering if they actually allow you to switch.

Bumping thread with all the chatter about income to debt ratio. If anyone has new information about residency regarding specific schools please post :)

So, I understand from this thread that you can apply for IS tuition after your first year at NCSU by obtaining a state drivers license, pay state taxes, etc. What else is there to it, and how does it work? Does anyone know? Thanks guys :D

Bumping this thread for updates, seeing as it's been two years! Does anyone know if Missouri still offers instate after one year?