Obtaining In-state tuition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Bumping this thread for updates, seeing as it's been two years! Does anyone know if Missouri still offers instate after one year?
Yes, Mizzou still offers instate after a year, and from what I heard from second years and classmates, it's not too difficult to get. Most (if not 100%) get it if they try for it, I personally haven't heard anyone who failed to get it after one year.

Members don't see this ad.

Bumping this thread for updates, seeing as it's been two years! Does anyone know if Missouri still offers instate after one year?

It is super easy to do as long as you follow the steps. Feel free to shoot me a pm about it. Just got my in-state this past fall.

Any insight on schools that allow you to switch if you marry a resident?

edit: marrying a member of the army national guard for that state, if it makes a difference?

Members don't see this ad :)

edit: marrying a member of the army national guard for that state, if it makes a difference?
From what @GoldenGirl28 told me, Missouri will allow 1st year as IS if you marry a full time working resident. if I recall from what she said as well, Wisconsin will not for the first year, but might for the second year? I don't really remember so she may have better insight into that!

From what @GoldenGirl28 told me, Missouri will allow 1st year as IS if you marry a full time working resident. if I recall from what she said as well, Wisconsin will not for the first year, but might for the second year? I don't really remember so she may have better insight into that!
Yup, @SummerTheLynx is correct. I spoke with Kathy at Mizzou about obtaining IS residency if my husband moves with me and starts working. He would become a Missouri resident immediately, and therefore so would I. And I believe there is some wiggle room in the dates of beginning work (i.e. if the spouse doesn't start working until after classes begin you can still be considered an IS resident for that academic year). For Wisconsin, it's a bit more unclear. The wording of the statute a somewhat ambiguous and my husband is currently looking into that.

Reactions: 1 user

I believe UTK will allow it but you have to get married after that person has established residency.

Bumping this thread...

Does anyone know which (if any) schools allow IS tuition for military veterans?

Bumping this thread...

Does anyone know which (if any) schools allow IS tuition for military veterans?
Michigan State does for sure, I'm a current recipient of it. Colorado does give veterans in state tuition, but not for vet school, unless they changed the application, it states that vet school doesn't qualify at the top of the form.
You may want to look into Iowa and UTK, I think they might do something for vets as well

Iowa State does as well. You'll probably have to speak with financial aid directly to get it set up if you're accepted, as it's not really something that is advertised by the vet school at all.

Michigan State does for sure, I'm a current recipient of it. Colorado does give veterans in state tuition, but not for vet school, unless they changed the application, it states that vet school doesn't qualify at the top of the form.
You may want to look into Iowa and UTK, I think they might do something for vets as well
They do for vet school. In my acceptance email there was a paragraph that mentioned it and I’ve talked to admissions about it. A veteran can also petition his dependent (child or spouse) for in state tuition as well.

They do for vet school. In my acceptance email there was a paragraph that mentioned it and I’ve talked to admissions about it. A veteran can also petition his dependent (child or spouse) for in state tuition as well.

It states at the end of the initial paragraph that, " If you will be enrolled in the DVM program you are not eligible for this adjustment."

They do adjustments for active military and their dependants, but not veterans.

Attachments

• GI Promise tuition adjustment form.pdf
    379.1 KB · Views: 47
F0153B89-D4EB-4BD2-969A-830BA65DFD5A.jpeg
It states at the end of the initial paragraph that, " If you will be enrolled in the DVM program you are not eligible for this adjustment."

They do adjustments for active military and their dependants, but not veterans.

I’m not able to open your attachment because it doesn’t work on mobile, but here’s a snippet of my acceptance offer. I contacted the phone number provided and was informed yes, veterans do receive in state tuition for veterinary school and a veteran may petition the CSU veterans benefits office for their spouse to receive it, however they cannot both (the veteran and the dependent) use this benefit. Only one or the other.

Perhaps they recently changed their policy and didn’t update their website?