About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

occupational medicine

Discussion in 'Medical Toxicology (MD, DO, PharmD)' started by stoppednmiddle, Nov 27, 2008.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. stoppednmiddle

stoppednmiddle

Medical Student

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    what are the prospects of occupational medicine.
    How is it different from preventive medicne residency.
    where do i get more information
  2. dragonfly99

dragonfly99

Attending Physician
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I would google it. I'm sure there's an "American Society of Occupational Medicine" or something.

Similarities include that both specialties have little or no call once you are in practice/out of residency.

Occupational medicine you can work for a large corporation, etc. as a doctor on their staff. Also you could probably work for some larger physician practices that do worker's compensation claims, etc.

Preventive medicine is more like public health - generally concerned not w/individual patients but with groups of patients/people. It's more like health promotion and disease prevention.

Neither one has a high income vs. some other specialties, but I think the lifestyle is pretty good. Would think you could work for a gov't agency with preventive medicine residency as well.

I have seen a few help wanted ads for these, but there doesn't seem to be the demand that there is for primary care docs or hospitalists.