Other OT-Related Information Occupational Therapy in Mental Health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InfoNerd101

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think Occupational Therapy will make a comeback in Mental Health?

I work in a large behavioral health center of a hospital and I have to say I am impressed and fascinated with their approach to mental health. They look at the whole person and patients I've noticed are most responsive to the OT and claim they find her groups the most helpful.

I really think they make a huge impact on mental health patients and it's a shame their services are not utilized and appreciated as much as they should.

So do you think there will be a comeback?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I've noticed you've asked a lot of questions about mental health and aren't getting many answers. On reddit there's an OT subreddit that has practioners than in here. You might want to try there for some of these questions.

I wish I could tell you more!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think OT definitely has a role in community reintegration. I think the demand in OT in mental health less because there are other roles such as recreational therapists, nurses, and peer counselors. My mental health observation in OT school actually included a major mental institution that did not employee any OT. I think it is beneficial but not deemed as necessary when compared to physical dysfunction or special education.

We were repeatedly told in my program that OT mental health is really hard to get a job in, and pay is not so great. I wonder if this is true.
I think that's pretty accurate - I live in a major metro area, and I know that there were a very small (i.e., count on one hand, many) number of places where someone could be placed for a Mental Health-focused fieldwork, if they wanted it. Most community-based mental health service providers are small non-profits and don't have the money to hire an OT in the first place.

Reactions: 1 user