Other OT-Related Information Occupational therapy private practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InfoNerd101

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can occupational therapists open up private practice?

If so what can an occupational therapist do in private practice if they specialize in mental health?

Members don't see this ad.

OT can do private practice- it means you can do whatever you want with your business by definition. The realistic point to address is how you are going to be paid. Either you successfully receive payment through 3rd parties or from your clients directly. Mental health is tricky because there is lack of funding even in the public sectors. The most common place for an OT to work in mental health would be a state hospital. I think the issue is that recreational therapy, nursing, and other professionals are fulfilling the role that OT once solely had. You see less and less OT even in public mental health. If you can find a specific niche then I think any private practice is possible including mental health.

Reactions: 1 user
I've shadowed several OTs in private practice: one is a combined OT/PT/SLP clinic for kids and teens with developmental disabilities and the other is more geriatric-based.

Like stated above, OTs can open a private practice but I've been told many open with another OT or therapist and do so after they've been in the field a while. It's definitely possible to do mental health in a private health but tricky because of funding.

Members don't see this ad :)
OT can do private practice- it means you can do whatever you want with your business by definition. The realistic point to address is how you are going to be paid. Either you successfully receive payment through 3rd parties or from your clients directly. Mental health is tricky because there is lack of funding even in the public sectors. The most common place for an OT to work in mental health would be a state hospital. I think the issue is that recreational therapy, nursing, and other professionals are fulfilling the role that OT once solely had. You see less and less OT even in public mental health. If you can find a specific niche then I think any private practice is possible including mental health.

I've shadowed several OTs in private practice: one is a combined OT/PT/SLP clinic for kids and teens with developmental disabilities and the other is more geriatric-based.

Like stated above, OTs can open a private practice but I've been told many open with another OT or therapist and do so after they've been in the field a while. It's definitely possible to do mental health in a private health but tricky because of funding.

Why is there lack of funding in mental health OT?

And why are nurses and recreational therapists allowed to do the work of an OT in mental health and are taking over?

What could a Mental health OT do in private practice?

Why is there lack of funding in mental health OT?

And why are nurses and recreational therapists allowed to do the work of an OT in mental health and are taking over?

What could a Mental health OT do in private practice?

OT is functional based and do activities that are meaningful for the clients. Recreational therapy do many vocational work and nursing staff can facilitate group activities. OT use to do everything and now have a smaller role. Mental health OT in state hospital often work on grooming, vocation, and schedule maintenance. Medication and symptom management is also usually a big part. Private practice can address any of these needs. I know you didn't ask for there is nonprofit on the other end of the spectrum. Mental health and poverty have an association. You would able to help individuals and families allocate variety of resources to address biological and occupational needs.