General Admissions & OTCAS Occupational Therapy Volunteer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Is it important to get volunteer hours for Occupational Therapy at a hospital ?

• Yes

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

Flipchick312

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it important to get volunteer hours for Occupational Therapy at a hospital ? Lately, I have been getting my hours at a nursing home and a rehab center.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think so. I didn't get any hours at a hospital (although I heard the hospital setting is really interesting so check it out it if you can). I actually did the same settings you are doing now. It is helpful to have a wide range of observation in different settings, but having them at a hospital isn't a requirement unless a school requests it(which I haven't run into). Most schools I've seen require two to three settings. Hope this helps!

No its not important to get volunteer hours at a hospital. I was able to get some shadow hours at a hospital, but the hospital only allowed me to get up to 10 hours due to a hospital policy. Just get a large amount of shadow hours in different settings because it will strengthen your application :)