OChem advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Samin23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm currently a freshman about to head into my second year of school at Texas A&M. I took Intro Chem 1 last semester and made an A. This semester, I'm in Chem 2, and if I am able to make at least a B on my final, I have a good chance at pulling out another A this semester. I know that OChem is one of the harder science courses, and I'm pretty nervous about it. I'll be attending SMDEP this summer, and the schedule says that I will be taking an Organic chem class during the program. I'm pretty nervous because I plan on joining some extra-curricular programs (possibly a fraternity, no sure yet) to build my resume and I don't want to have too many things going on and end up hurting my OChem grade. Anyways, what were some of y'all's experiences from OChem and is there any advice you can give me as I head into the summer?

Thanks for the feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

stay on top of it, dont fall behind. if you consistently study and do A LOT of practice problems you will be fine. i know this sounds cliche/generic but its true,

Reactions: 1 users
Best advice I can give is to not cram. It's really not that hard if you give yourself time to understand what you're learning. O chem was hard for me because I made it hard on myself. Sophomore year of college I had other "extracurricular activities" that seemed more fun to me than studying which then led to cramming. I honestly never understood o chem 1 or 2 until I studied for the DAT lol..

Members don't see this ad :)
Ochem is not a class you can cram for, especially when it comes to multistep synthesis questions. Practice as many problems as you can. I also highly recommend reading Organic Chemistry as a Second Language

Reactions: 1 users
Orgo 2, at least at my school, has a broader focus on synthesis. In the first part of the course, you will study carboxylic acids, enol/enolate chemistry, amines, metal catalyzed carbon-carbon bond formation, pericyclic reactions and benzene/aromaticity. For these topics, follow the same strategies as in the latter part of orgo 1 - review mechanisms/understand reactions and practice synthesis. Right now we are doing intro to biochem and this part is significantly easier and a refreshing break from all reactions.

Just stay on top of the your work and don't stress.. you know what to expect. Good luck!

Also, I forgot to mention that you should review orgo 1 reactions b.c you will need to know them solid to be successful at synthesis in orgo 2.

I will also be taking organic chemistry in the fall 2015 semester and was also concerned because I would like to participate in more extracurriculars as well so I wasn't sure if I should be worried about time management. Thanks for starting the thread :) oh and also congrats on being able to get an A in gen chem 1 and gen chem 2 specifically that class is tough (at least at my university), the fact that you are able to get an A in both classes shows that you have a good work ethic and should be able to do great in organic chem. I'm in gen chem 2 right now and hopefully should be able to pull a B+. Good luck on your finals :):)

Hey everyone,

I'm currently a freshman about to head into my second year of school at Texas A&M. I took Intro Chem 1 last semester and made an A. This semester, I'm in Chem 2, and if I am able to make at least a B on my final, I have a good chance at pulling out another A this semester. I know that OChem is one of the harder science courses, and I'm pretty nervous about it. I'll be attending SMDEP this summer, and the schedule says that I will be taking an Organic chem class during the program. I'm pretty nervous because I plan on joining some extra-curricular programs (possibly a fraternity, no sure yet) to build my resume and I don't want to have too many things going on and end up hurting my OChem grade. Anyways, what were some of y'all's experiences from OChem and is there any advice you can give me as I head into the summer?

Thanks for the feedback.

Are you going to Louisville? If so, don't worry. The professor is amazing, and the material they give you is pretty basic. It's not that hard. Trust me you won't be doing any multi step synthesis

If it's not Louisville, then I agree with pretty much everyone above.

GET A HEAD START!

I went through a study book before I took the class. It was very helpful, cause I already knew a little bit before going in

Reactions: 1 user
Khanacademy.org for Orgo if you struggle with any topics or your teacher is no good. Great resource.

I would go through Orgo as a second language before the semester starts. I struggled with o chem partly because I didn't have a grasp on the basics/foundation and then it all snowballed from there. And, like others have said above, you CANNOT cram for this course!

My biggest regret was not getting a head start and not staying on top of the material.

Are you going to Louisville? If so, don't worry. The professor is amazing, and the material they give you is pretty basic. It's not that hard. Trust me you won't be doing any multi step synthesis

If it's not Louisville, then I agree with pretty much everyone above.

I am a freshman going to UofL's SMDEP this summer, what classes do you take while there? I am currently in gen chem 1 and will not be done with gen chem 2 until after next fall. Thanks!

Organic Chemistry is not a hard subject (I thought Orgo 2 was an easy A cause you didn't learn anything new, just the same reactions seen in different ways). It's just time consuming. I personally thought organic chemistry more of a puzzle game that you can find in the back of a newspaper. Everyone is right, if you cram for Organic chem, then you're screwed. If you do stay on top of things though. It's an easier subject than General Chemistry. (atleast it was for me).

I am a freshman going to UofL's SMDEP this summer, what classes do you take while there? I am currently in gen chem 1 and will not be done with gen chem 2 until after next fall. Thanks!

Congrats on getting into SMDEP, especially Louisville ;) I loved it so much. Anyway, last summer we took intro to ochem, which for me was easy because I had already taken both orgos. But the professor explains so well. If I had him as a professor in ochem, I would have definitely had a better/easier time.

We also took basic biochemistry classes and physiology classes. Also, a couple of physics classes. But it was mostly orgo, biochem and physio. I was finishing up my sophomore year when I participated in SMDEP so some of the material I either already knew or heard about; I wasn't totally clueless. Even though you are a freshman, I wouldn't worry too much because the professors are amazing (some of them teach in UofL's med school) and they explain very well and help you if you need it. I think you'll be fine, as long as you have some basic chemistry and biology knowledge.

Congrats on getting into SMDEP, especially Louisville ;) I loved it so much. Anyway, last summer we took intro to ochem, which for me was easy because I had already taken both orgos. But the professor explains so well. If I had him as a professor in ochem, I would have definitely had a better/easier time.

We also took basic biochemistry classes and physiology classes. Also, a couple of physics classes. But it was mostly orgo, biochem and physio. I was finishing up my sophomore year when I participated in SMDEP so some of the material I either already knew or heard about; I wasn't totally clueless. Even though you are a freshman, I wouldn't worry too much because the professors are amazing (some of them teach in UofL's med school) and they explain very well and help you if you need it. I think you'll be fine, as long as you have some basic chemistry and biology knowledge.

Ok great!! Thanks!