OCPM office of enrollment management here to answer your questions!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmcdona2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello my name is Dannita, I work in the enrollment management department at The Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine. I am excited to announce my availability to answer any questions or concerns you may have on your journey to becoming a Doctor of Podiatric Medicine. Please don’t hesitate to ask me anything you may be having trouble understanding or need clarity on in regards to The Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine, as well as podiatry in general. Have a great day and I look forward to speaking with you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Dannita,

I am absolutely certain that I want to go into podiatry, and am considering OCPM as my primary school of interest right now. I'm local, which is the major reason it's so attractive, but I've also been really impressed with current students and graduates that I've been able to work with. What would be extremely helpful, is if you could provide me with some information on how I could get in touch and schedule a meeting with someone involved in admissions. Right now, I am a current junior and am debating trying to complete an application and apply for the current cycle- forgoing my senior year of college. If I were to do this, I would apply exclusively to OCPM. Whereas, if I wait, I am going to plan significantly increase my gpa and MCAT score- and see what kind of scholarship offers I can elicit. Like I said though, I would really like to meet with someone from the school to discuss the feasibility of all of this, and also to visit the school and potentially sit in on some classes. I would be greatly appreciative for any way in which you are able to assist me.

Can you give us the "official word" on a merger with Kent State or some other institution?

Members don't see this ad :)
The Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine is currently in discussions with Kent State University regarding a possible affiliation. According to Dr. David Nicolanti, Executive Vice President of OCPM, "We're always pursuing beneficial relationships with other colleges and universities. We have not historically had a significant relationship with Kent, and we are interested in growing that." An affiliation between OCPM and Kent State would provide OCPM access to a comprehensive research university, which would elevate OCPM in the realms of teaching and research. In addition to the research opportunities that would be available to students and faculty, current and prospective students would have opportunities to explore dual degrees and become more involved in the sports medicine concentration of podiatric medicine. Kent State views a potential affiliation with OCPM as having strategic research and teaching synergies with the university's health and science departments. There is not a specific timeline for finalizing the discussions, but both organizations are motivated to quickly complete the necessary due diligence that would bring a full proposal to their boards for approval.

Hi Dannita,
Does OCPM offer any resources/placement for post residency graduates seeking employment?

These threads are always great. Too much hearsay out there if you ask me. I do have a question that has puzzled me ever since I was applying (OCPM included). Your website states that for the last 20 years OCPM has placed 100% of graduates into residency programs, but when you "graduate" students who have not passed boards, it is impossible for those students to get residencies. So how is the statement on your website factual? I know from first hand experience that this is the case, and don't worry, my school did it too!

The 100% refers to those individuals who pass the boards part 1 and 2.

The why does it say this?
OCPM Website said:
This statistic means each year the OCPM graduate has been adequately trained and highly desirable to hospital administrators in all areas of the country.

At some schools (like Ohio) being a graduate does not mean you passed part I or part II. The website is deceiving at best. But I get it, you are defending your choice in education. Now let's hear from the gal who knows what she's talking about...

Hello All

Thank you so much for contacting OCPM! In regards to our Residency placement, we place 100% of our eligible students in residency programs. Eligible meaning, they have passed boards one and two. All of our students do take boards and if any student has an issue with passing and/or have failed we have methods in place to allow more time/resources for that student to study for boards. Our faculty and staff take pride in stating that we try our hardest to provide whatever our students need to be successful in the profession.

Have a great day,

Dannita

Hi was wondering what my chances are >>> i am UCLA graduate with a 3.7 overall gpa and a 3.6 science gpa however I have taken my DAT and recieved a 16. I am a pre_podiatry studnet not dental. This is the health profession for me> Please let me know what you think. thank you

Hello EricLight

Please send any LOR or Transcripts to:

Attn: Office of Enrollment Management
6000 Rockside Woods Blvd.
Independence Ohio 44131

No forms need to be included

Have a great day!

Hi Donna,

I'd like to know if an applicant who receives an interview without a MCAT score can receive conditional admission provided the future MCAT score falls within an acceptable range? Or will their application be placed on hold until the score is submitted?

Also, how heavily is the MCAT score weighed in the admission process?

Thanks very much!

Hello Manunderfire,

OCPM is able to invite candidates to interview without an MCAT score, however OCPM cannot take FINAL admissions action (unconditional acceptance) or even require a deposit until an official, acceptable MCAT score has been received by AACPMAS. Please refer to our website, http://www.ocpm.edu/?page=admission-faq. The MCAT score is important to OCPM when considering an applicant for candidacy.

Have a great day,

Dannita

Hello Dannita,

I recently received an email from OCPM requesting an interview and an official campus visit. In the email, it says that OCPM's affiliation with Kent State will allow OCPM students to pursue a DPM/MBA dual degree. If I were to be accepted and choose OCPM, would I be able to pursue the DPM/MBA dual degree or will it not be available for the Class of 2016? If so, can you provide more details on the program?

Thank you!

Hello BlueRhino

The curriculum for the programs you are inquiring about are in the infancy stages (meaning the curriculum for these programs are currently being written). This would not be something that would be offered your first year if you were to be accepted into the class of 2016. Timing would also be a major factor due to the work load that your first year consists of at OCPM. However, these programs would be available to the Class of 2016. Thank you for contacting me!

Have a great day,

Dannita

Hi Denitta
Do you know what is the ocpm class size for 2016?
thanks

Hello Kiarash,

At this time we are still currently interviewing students. The cycle for the class of 2016 does not close until June 30, 2012. OCPM would then be able to better answer you question. Thank you for contacting OCPM!

Dannita

Hello Dannita,

I actually received an email to schedule for an interview. I have a really low MCAT score, and was told I would need an official, acceptable MCAT score before taking final admissions action. I was wondering, if all goes well during the interview, would I be accepted under the terms that I would need a higher MCAT score (conditional acceptance), or will my application be put on hold or wait listed until I have an acceptable MCAT score?

Thank you!