October 15th ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mandarin142

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All....

I had a couple of questions question for those folks who have been through an application cycle or two before. In the MSAR, it states "earliest regular acceptance notice" and the date "October 15" for a great many schools.

Is October 15 *really* a big day for acceptances to go out?

About when would people be interviewing for spots that are offered in October?

Typically, how long after your secondary application was complete at a given school until you were asked to interview?

Thanks in advance! :)

Members don't see this ad.

October 15th is a pretty big day, especially for early interviewers. I completed the bulk of my interviews before that day and was able to get an acceptance on that first day.

I'd say that if you interview in September (or earlier if that's possible), you will probably know good or bad what the decision is by 10/15.

Time from completion to interview varies by school and where you are in the cycle. I was complete everywhere by early August and waited anywhere from a few days to a few months to receive invites. The later you apply in the cycle the longer it will take to receive an interview as there will be more and more applicants waiting to be reviewed. Schools can get backlogged and it could be a while before anyone actually sees your app.

Hello All....

I had a couple of questions question for those folks who have been through an application cycle or two before. In the MSAR, it states "earliest regular acceptance notice" and the date "October 15" for a great many schools.

Is October 15 *really* a big day for acceptances to go out?

About when would people be interviewing for spots that are offered in October?

Typically, how long after your secondary application was complete at a given school until you were asked to interview?

Thanks in advance! :)

No. I don't remember October 15th being a big acceptance day. I remember October being a good interviewing month. I guess if you apply really early in June/July, and then get interviewed very early in August/September, you can expect to get an acceptance as early as October 15th.

While some schools make a small number of offers on October 15, many do not make their offers until later in the season (as late as March, as you may know) and some do a rolling thing where they make a few offers every few weeks throughout the season.

There is a palpable excitement that second week of October for the lucky few (and it is a few, <25% of all interviewees, I'd guess) who have had an interview early enough to qualify for an October 15 decision.