OD admission after MBA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FLeyeGUY

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I had completed all prerequisite courses for most OD programs in undergrad as a Bio major. Senior year, my life situation changed, as an opportunity presented itself, and I took a year off of school to start my own business. After that year I transferred to another institution to finish my undergrad degree, graduating with a Bachelors in Liberal Arts. Final GPA = 3.25, SCI GPA = 3.0.

Since my interests changed to the realm of business, I am now enrolled in an MBA program. Recently, I discovered that many OD's have MBA's and many OD programs offer various types of MBA dual-degrees. (I attribute this to the fact that many OD's start their own practices.) This got me thinking about Optometry again...

My question is: When I graduate with my MBA (GPA= 3.5 at least), take the OAT, and apply, will my MBA improve my chances of admission?

My assumption is that by successfully completing an MBA with a good GPA, I have proven my commitment and abilities as a student, despite my brief absence from school during undergrad. Also, I have started a successful business, which I can document if needed. To me, this displays an ability of applying academic concepts and knowledge in the real world. All of which, in my mind, make me a better candidate for admission.

In addition to this, I have a total of 5 years experience working for optometrists before and during college. I have hands on field-experience with auto-refraction, tonometry, retinal cameras, FoV screenings, and everything else involved in pre-screening patients.

What do ya think? Do I have a shot? :xf:

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have an MBA but I do have an MS, so to a certain degree I can relate to what you say about having a professional degree upon applying to optometry schools. I asked your same question when I visited SCO for the first time back in March (I was already in grad school at the time), and quoting the dean there, he said "having a master's degree is one of those things that cannot hurt you, it can only help you".

On a personal note, I've already applied this cycle and been accepted to where i wanted to go. Before my MS, I was an average applicant ( GPA 3.3, shadowing, etc). If a school had 5 applicants and 1 seat left, there was no reason they should've chosen me over anyone else, there was nothing above and beyond about me. A lot of people will say that going 1.5 years out of my way to get an MS first was a waste of my time because I would've "gotten in anyway", but no one knows your situation or your time better than you do. This cycle I applied to 7 schools, was invited to all 7 for interviews, ended up attending 4 of those interviews and got into all 4 schools with some scholarship offerings, including my first choice school. I honestly feel that my MS really helped me out. It shows another level of professionalism, the fact that you've already made that transition between undergrad and grad. Schools don't have to worry about whether you'll be able to handle the course load in optometry school because you've already been in grad school and proven the amount of work you can handle. Anyway this is just my opinion but I hope it helps you out.

Also, have you already taken your OAT? Doing well on that is pretty crucial.

csandova,
Thanks for the info, and congrats on your acceptance! That certainly makes me feel a bit better, you having talked to the Dean and all... I think a masters degree would help solidify my particular application and resolve any potential contentions an admissions board would have regarding my academic attendance. I have read here and elsewhere that an admissions board's primary concern is that you are comitted to and capible of completing the rigors of an optometry program. This makes sense as they can not fill an empty seat in a second year Ocular Anatomy class with just anybody, there arent exactly a whole lot of second year optometry students searching for a school...

I have also experienced some "backlash" from academic friends who say just apply already, or that my time would be better spent improving undergrad grades. The truth is, one of the reasons I am drawn toward optometry is for the prospect of starting my own practice, being my own boss (again) etc. As you said, nobody knows you better than yourself...I WANT to become more knowledgeable in the realm of business. Also, worse case scenario and I don't get in (knock-on-wood) I've got an MBA.

I have not taken the OAT yet. I plan on taking it within the next few months... I have all the goods, Kaplan books, OAT Destroyer, blah-blah-blah, and plan on getting a tutor to help brush up. I know my prereqs and undergrad aren't standout, I don't know if I would "get in anyway" considering, so I am aware of the cruciallity of the OAT for me and in general... If you don't mind, how did you do on it and/or what is your idea of a "target" score for an applicant with a 3-3.25 undergrad GPA? Any tips for applying etc.?

You are a big help and confidence booster! I'm not so crazy after all!

Members don't see this ad :)
csandova,
Thanks for the info, and congrats on your acceptance! That certainly makes me feel a bit better, you having talked to the Dean and all... I think a masters degree would help solidify my particular application and resolve any potential contentions an admissions board would have regarding my academic attendance. I have read here and elsewhere that an admissions board's primary concern is that you are comitted to and capible of completing the rigors of an optometry program. This makes sense as they can not fill an empty seat in a second year Ocular Anatomy class with just anybody, there arent exactly a whole lot of second year optometry students searching for a school...

I have also experienced some "backlash" from academic friends who say just apply already, or that my time would be better spent improving undergrad grades. The truth is, one of the reasons I am drawn toward optometry is for the prospect of starting my own practice, being my own boss (again) etc. As you said, nobody knows you better than yourself...I WANT to become more knowledgeable in the realm of business. Also, worse case scenario and I don't get in (knock-on-wood) I've got an MBA.

I have not taken the OAT yet. I plan on taking it within the next few months... I have all the goods, Kaplan books, OAT Destroyer, blah-blah-blah, and plan on getting a tutor to help brush up. I know my prereqs and undergrad aren't standout, I don't know if I would "get in anyway" considering, so I am aware of the cruciallity of the OAT for me and in general... If you don't mind, how did you do on it and/or what is your idea of a "target" score for an applicant with a 3-3.25 undergrad GPA? Any tips for applying etc.?

You are a big help and confidence booster! I'm not so crazy after all!

My GPA was 3.62 and I scored 340/340 AA/TS on my OAT. Ideally you want to score above 300, the higher you are above 300 the more competitive your score will be.

My thought is that once you have an MBA you'll realize how to invest properly and go somewhere other than OD school.

of course you have a shot. Last year about 2500 unique applications were submitted nationally about 1700 got in so getting into OD is not that hard.

My thought is that once you have an MBA you'll realize how to invest properly and go somewhere other than OD school.

Well, looks like someone got a bad eye exam or something... :laugh: Seriously though, just curious, what would you recommend as a sound "investment"? Why not optometry?

of course you have a shot. Last year about 2500 unique applications were submitted nationally about 1700 got in so getting into OD is not that hard.

yup even my friends with 2.5 GPAs and 250 OATs went to Puerto Rico and will probably become ODs, everyone gets in, it's not that hard. If being an OD is what you want to do, then I would stop wasting time with your MBA and just apply already.

BUUUTTT you could also take your MBA and probably make a lot more $$$ in business.

Last edited:
Well, looks like someone got a bad eye exam or something... :laugh: Seriously though, just curious, what would you recommend as a sound "investment"? Why not optometry?

No, I have nothing against optometrists or the work they do. I despise the institution that many of you are blindly buying in to. I refuse to take out around $50k/year with 6.8% and 7.9% interest for 4 years to get into a profession that pays peanuts.

That compounded with other factors lead me to turn down the acceptances to optometry school that I had and go a different direction in my career.

If you're going to go into health care go into something else. I don't believe any of you for a second when they say, "I'm really passionate about the eyes!" How much have you people shadowed? If it is not more than 100 hours I encourage you to do more and ask very serious questions to the optometrist about the direction of the profession.

Whatever road you choose, I'm open to give advice. I know what it takes to get into optometry school and am more than willing to help people out that wish to go that route.

The pre-optometry board just has a heavy heavy naive fog where 90% of posters are quite delusional about the profession they're buying.