Odd question, Need Advice on best chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ciestar

All grown up!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.73 cGPA (AAMC), 3.82 sGPA (approximately)
Pending MCAT
PA resident, ORM

~Two years as a TA for economics - includes tutoring, exam proctoring, grading, etc (basically had my own online office hours)
~225 hours direct patient care for nursing clinicals (nursing homes and oncology unit)
~38 Shadowing Hours (Pediatrician, Family Practice, Surgeon)
~1000+ hours as a pharmacy tech (lots of patient "care" and patience…)
~50+ hours volunteering with a no-kill dog rescue

-Active membership in Alpha Epsilon Delta pre-medical honor society (limited time frame but I did the best I could before leaving campus and graduating)
-Small amount of volunteer work with the Red Cross (about 10 hours volunteering)
-member of the pep band for basketball (1 year)
-Awarded the privilege of being the student marshall for the science college

-Small research project developed my senior year. Had to formulate our hypothesis regarding plant stomata and different growing conditions, and then test and evaluate. I am not sure how far down the line this counts as "research", but it gave me a clue into how much dedication these projects take.

For what it's worth: PTCB certified, PADI Open Water Diver

Now, my question is, with that pending MCAT, this is about as complete as this application is going to get except for increased volunteer hours and CVS hours. Currently, i find myself aiming for the June 21st MCAT, however, I am still working full time. I have come to discover the pace I'm currently going at for my content review, I'll finish approximately on June 15th, but this is just the average amount of time I'm taking per TPR "lesson". It could vary, and it would have to by about a month in order for me to be ready for the MCAT, since I obviously need time for FLs.

But my question is, how far back should I postpone my MCAT? It's becoming clear I'll likely have to.
Basically, how bad would it hurt me to be complete later on in the summer, given my current stats?
What is the "latest" (approximately, many of you have great insight into this stuff) I could take the MCAT and still be competitive? Any other advice?

Members don't see this ad.

It's hard to say, we don't know how you are going to score on the MCAT, and besides that, every few weeks/month you take beyond the opening decreases your chances of getting considerations and interviews that you may have earlier. If you aren't going to even take your test until the end of June/sometime July, you aren't getting your score until around August at best. Then you still have all your secondaries to do, which often takes people a month to a few months, depending on the number of schools, and especially when you are working (and because it doesn't seem like you can really get ahead on them because now you need the time to study for the MCAT).

All of this adds together to you turning in all your application materials fairly later into the season, does this mean you won't receive any invites? No. But does it mean you may have lost the opportunity at some schools due to being late, and in the very worst case, that you may not end up being accepted that cycle and then have to reapply and somehow better your application to show some effort to improve? Maybe. I'm not saying you can't take your mcat later and apply later and not get in, but you have to make the decision on whether or not you want to risk the possibility of losing out on some schools vs. taking another year to do it on the more ideal timeline.

Yeah I suppose I asked a very broad question. Let's assume 30+ on mcat. Without that, I won't be competitive for md regardless of when I apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
3.73 cGPA (AAMC), 3.82 sGPA (approximately)
Pending MCAT
PA resident, ORM

~Two years as a TA for economics - includes tutoring, exam proctoring, grading, etc (basically had my own online office hours)
~225 hours direct patient care for nursing clinicals (nursing homes and oncology unit)
~38 Shadowing Hours (Pediatrician, Family Practice, Surgeon)
~1000+ hours as a pharmacy tech (lots of patient "care" and patience…)
~50+ hours volunteering with a no-kill dog rescue

-Active membership in Alpha Epsilon Delta pre-medical honor society (limited time frame but I did the best I could before leaving campus and graduating)
-Small amount of volunteer work with the Red Cross (about 10 hours volunteering)
-member of the pep band for basketball (1 year)
-Awarded the privilege of being the student marshall for the science college

-Small research project developed my senior year. Had to formulate our hypothesis regarding plant stomata and different growing conditions, and then test and evaluate. I am not sure how far down the line this counts as "research", but it gave me a clue into how much dedication these projects take.

For what it's worth: PTCB certified, PADI Open Water Diver

Now, my question is, with that pending MCAT, this is about as complete as this application is going to get except for increased volunteer hours and CVS hours. Currently, i find myself aiming for the June 21st MCAT, however, I am still working full time. I have come to discover the pace I'm currently going at for my content review, I'll finish approximately on June 15th, but this is just the average amount of time I'm taking per TPR "lesson". It could vary, and it would have to by about a month in order for me to be ready for the MCAT, since I obviously need time for FLs.

But my question is, how far back should I postpone my MCAT? It's becoming clear I'll likely have to.
Basically, how bad would it hurt me to be complete later on in the summer, given my current stats?
What is the "latest" (approximately, many of you have great insight into this stuff) I could take the MCAT and still be competitive? Any other advice?
What's the latest MCAT date you envision needing? Are we talking July 1, August 1, or September sometime?

Are you willing to submit your AMCAS application the first week of June to get it verified (perhaps to just one school, thus only putting $160 at risk in case you bomb the test)? If you apply early without the score, and have all materials in, LORs sent, and Secondary essays prewritten for schools that are likely targets, then you could turn around Secondary invitations rapidly and be Complete at each school in 2-4 weeks.

Reactions: 1 user
FYI I think you could get II's from low-tier MD with only a 28MCAT & your stats, ECs, and an early app.

In all honesty, I don't currently foresee myself needing time past August for the mcat. At least that's what I'm hoping.

And yes, I plan on submitting my amcas app on June 1st regardless. I'm going to try and do everything I can early on without my mcat.

I also qualify for FAP which will help the financial ramification of completely bombing.

Thanks for all the advice!

What is the "latest" (approximately, many of you have great insight into this stuff) I could take the MCAT and still be competitive?
I'd suggest trying very, very hard to be ready by July 15-20 to take the MCAT. If all Secondaries are in by Sept 1, you'll be minimally disadvantaged. After that date, it would be wise to emphasize more schools below your Lizzy M score.

Maybe consider cutting back on work hours?

I'm working on that currently. We are very understaffed but we have 3 full time students on staff. So come may I can be spared.

If my hours aren't cut back though at all, I'll end up quitting. This is more important

30 is close to the minimum. The national avg is 33 for acceptees. For DO programs it's creeping up to 26-28. Applying by end of August will be too late for MD programs.

Apply with the best possible app, as early as possible.

Yeah I suppose I asked a very broad question. Let's assume 30+ on mcat. Without that, I won't be competitive for md regardless of when I apply.

Here's what you need to do. Take a full-length practice MCAT this week to determine where you stand with the test and use this to gauge your progress. Each week you then need to take a full-length practice MCAT and also focus on the areas you got wrong from the previous MCAT. Don't wait until you're done with your course to begin taking FL exams because you need to be constantly assessing and making changes to your study habits and without the tests how will you know what you know and don't know. Aim for the July test date. Your practice exams should be indicative of how you will perform come test day.

If you aren't up to par then I would hold off on sitting for the exam. The MCAT is a test you want to take once and only only. Right not it is mid April so I don't see why you can't schedule for late June or early July. You may have to lose sleep but it is possible. Because it is much better to apply early and have a great score than to apply later with a great score. But the worst is to apply late and have a bad score.

Also there is never a rush to getting into medical school. If it shows you are not prepared then you may honestly need to sit out this application cycle so you can have a better chance of admission. Your MCAT score will dictate what medical school you do and don't get into. Also taking a longterm approach with how competitive residencies are nowadays you can rest assured residency directors may take a look at your MCAT score to choose between equally qualified candidates.

Therefore, at this point everything in your application is pretty much out of your control and already set except for your MCAT score. I would do everything in my power to have the best possible score and if that means taking all summer to study for the exam and applying next year then it may be what's necessary.

Not sure how i missed your post, but thanks for all of that!
And absolutely, I only want to take it once. I have a ton of FLs at my disposal (TBR, TPR, Kaplan since I have a nice friend)
I have been losing a ton of sleep, but I am working slowly through the material. My work hours are also steadily decreasing, I have about 5 less this week and less, and about 15 less the week after. So it's improvement. It's just a bit frustrating sometimes.

However, if i stay at my current job and am promoted to a leadership role before my application is complete (MCAT will be the determinant here), will that help my application?

However, if i stay at my current job and am promoted to a leadership role before my application is complete (MCAT will be the determinant here), will that help my application?
Personally, I don't think that one month or less of a leadership role will have a significant impact on your application.