Odds for a white applicant applying to Howard or Meharry dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FLOSS UR TEETH

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering and was thinking of applying to these schools.. I don't have the most recent ADA Official Guide, but from the one I have.. there were maybe 1 or 2 white students.. do you think it is still the same?

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering and was thinking of applying to these schools.. I don't have the most recent ADA Official Guide, but from the one I have.. there were maybe 1 or 2 white students.. do you think it is still the same?

I guess there's always the chance. Just curious, why would you be applying there?

I guess there's always the chance. Just curious, why would you be applying there?

Why shouldn't I? It is a dental school and is accredited just like all the other ones.. I also like there locations.

On a side note, I know one of their major goals is to increase the amount of dentists working in underserved areas.. Even though I may be white, I have had the grateful opportunity to complete a couple summer enrichment programs that were mainly directed toward minorities and disadvantaged students.. through these programs I have made many friends from all different races and backgrounds (which I have also had before the programs as well) and also learned WHY we need dentists in certain areas across the US..

I also don't believe a school should accept only one race.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with you. The price seems decent too. I also plan to go work in an underserved area if that repayment plan is still available.

There GPA/DAT also seems to be a little lower than average. I just wonder if we'll be able to be competitive their because we may not fit the goal of the school, which is a historically black school.

Why shouldn't I? It is a dental school and is accredited just like all the other ones.. I also like there locations.

On a side note, I know one of their major goals is to increase the amount of dentists working in underserved areas.. Even though I may be white, I have had the grateful opportunity to complete a couple summer enrichment programs that were mainly directed toward minorities and disadvantaged students.. through these programs I have made many friends from all different races and backgrounds (which I have also had before the programs as well) and also learned WHY we need dentists in certain areas across the US..

I agree with you. The price seems decent too. I also plan to go work in an underserved area if that repayment plan is still available.

There GPA/DAT also seems to be a little lower than average. I just wonder if we'll be able to be competitive their because we may not fit the goal of the school, which is a historically black school.

Every other dental school in the nation is "a historically white school" but yet we all admit the quota of minors.

I would advise you to apply and express your interest in serving in the underprivileged population. I would go as far as calling them and asking if you could set up an appt with the director of admissions to go over your application and see if the school was a good fit for you.

I would advise against this if you are a applying with a subpar GPA/DAT and hoping to get an 'in' at a school with lower acceptance standards (well, IMO, higher because of the cost at the end of four years = serving in those areas; hats off to those colleagues!)

GL

mr24 said:
Because of what you said in the beginning..... They only accept 1 or 2 whites!

Well if you read my question, I was asking if this is still the same. Even if they did accept one or two, then well looks like theres a chance buddy

Good answer. Some people just say "they have lower stats, so I can get in." It seems like your reasoning is solid. I would give them a call and see if you can talk to someone and just show your interest. It's not much but it puts a voice/person to a name out of the hundreds of applications they well get.

Since you have good experience dealing with disadvantaged people and they lean towards that type of care, it seems like you would have something to talk about.

Well if you read my question, I was asking if this is still the same. Even if they did accept one or two, then well looks like theres a chance buddy

Then why the Hell are you asking the question, buddy ;)

Every other dental school in the nation is "a historically white school" but yet we all admit the quota of minors.

I would advise you to apply and express your interest in serving in the underprivileged population. I would go as far as calling them and asking if you could set up an appt with the director of admissions to go over your application and see if the school was a good fit for you.

I would advise against this if you are a applying with a subpar GPA/DAT and hoping to get an 'in' at a school with lower acceptance standards (well, IMO, higher because of the cost at the end of four years = serving in those areas; hats off to those colleagues!)

GL

Good answer. Some people just say "they have lower stats, so I can get in." It seems like your reasoning is solid. I would give them a call and see if you can talk to someone and just show your interest. It's not much but it puts a voice/person to a name out of the hundreds of applications they well get.

Since you have good experience dealing with disadvantaged people and they lean towards that type of care, it seems like you would have something to talk about.

Thanks to both of you for the advice.. that is a very good idea to call them up and maybe set up an appointment to see if the school is a right fit

Then why the Hell are you asking the question, buddy ;)

lol i think ur a lil confused brah.. again, I am just trying to see if they have accepted more than 1 or 2 white people the past year or two.. I don't have an updated book with me.. and yes I think I will take my chances if only 1 or 2 get accepted. I'm not the type to get scared and back away like some people may be ;)

Thanks to both of you for the advice.. that is a very good idea to call them up and maybe set up an appointment to see if the school is a right fit

lol i think ur a lil confused brah.. again, I am just trying to see if they have accepted more than 1 or 2 white people the past year or two.. I don't have an updated book with me.. and yes I think I will take my chances if only 1 or 2 get accepted. I'm not the type to get scared and back away like some people may be ;)

Scared? Ha ha wouldn't apply there if someone else paid for it. But good luck. Sounds like you will be a good fit there!!!!!

Scared? Ha ha wouldn't apply there if someone else paid for it. But good luck. Sounds like you will be a good fit there!!!!!

Thank you soo much!!!!!!!!! so what kind of dentist are you trying to become? tryin to help people or just in it for the money? my guess, you would make a good one huh.. so diverse, so happy, so charming

Thank you soo much!!!!!!!!! so what kind of dentist are you trying to become? tryin to help people or just in it for the money? my guess, you would make a good one huh.. so diverse, so happy, so charming

You don't need to be a pretentious butt about it. Just because he doesn't have your set of experiences and your reason for wanting to become a dentist, doesn't make his motivation any less valid.

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't need to be a pretentious butt about it. Just because he doesn't have your set of experiences and your reason for wanting to become a dentist, doesn't make his motivation any less valid.

True, my bad. I formally apologize. Mr24 I see u didn't write back, but I am very very sorry. :)

Zero chance. Caucasian implies 350 year head start.

Anyways, back to my original question.. does anyone have exact and updated numbers of white matriculants/acceptances to these schools? I would greatly appreciate it, thanks!

If you want to give $300 away to these schools then apply.

Money is definitely part of it, but not the only reason or else I would be an anesthesiologist:) but I also love dentistry, love the lifestyle ( meaning I'm my own boss so I have more family time), and providing a great service for others at the same time( for a price tho. Got to pay off my Loans from the school that I'm attending that wasnt even diverse. I got ripped off. Guess ill just treat white people because I didn't go to Howard.)
But to answer you original question they accept more than 1 or 2 white people.

Here's your answer according to the latest ADEA Guide to Dental Schools:

Last year they accepted 4 white males and 1 white females...but that was out of 328 white males and 230 white females.

So if you're a guy you have a 1.2% chance and if you're a female you have a 0.04% chance.

^^ that was for Howard. (Notice my great grammar, "one white females")

For Meharry, they accepted 0 white people total. So your chances really, really, really suck there.

Money is definitely part of it, but not the only reason or else I would be an anesthesiologist:) but I also love dentistry, love the lifestyle ( meaning I'm my own boss so I have more family time), and providing a great service for others at the same time( for a price tho. Got to pay off my Loans from the school that I'm attending that wasnt even diverse. I got ripped off. Guess ill just treat white people because I didn't go to Howard.)
But to answer you original question they accept more than 1 or 2 white people.

Dinner time. No problem. I love threads like this, makes me laugh.

hey man, seriously I was just playin around lol.... i hear ya im actually pretty hungry myself.. just about dinner time.

hey man, seriously I was just playin around lol.... i hear ya im actually pretty hungry myself.. just about dinner time.

I was typing the rude one while you posted the apology. My bad. But seriously good luck with everything.

For Meharry, they accepted 0 white people total. So your chances really, really, really suck there.

Here's your answer according to the latest ADEA Guide to Dental Schools:

Last year they accepted 4 white males and 1 white females...but that was out of 328 white males and 230 white females.

So if you're a guy you have a 1.2% chance and if you're a female you have a 0.04% chance.

lol your straight man, much thanks for those numbers– really helpful.

Wow.

Funny how only non-black institutions need to be diverse and schooled in the ways of cultural sensitivity.

good luck to you too

I hope you know that YOU DONT have to go to howard to help underrepresented/unprivileged people.

most people who goto dental school for treatments are the once who cannot afford dental care outside. which includes poor white folks too.

But the main point is, if you want to "HELP" people i would suggest you take any opportunity in any given school. But this thread sounds fishy when you say howard and you want to help people, why didn't you say ASDOH or costa rica, etc...

if you look at some dental students blogs or YouTube videos of certain d-schools it proves that you can go anywhere and still make a tangible difference.

The patient population will depend on location. Most likely there will be a melting pot.

He likes black chicks. They got alllllll the right curves in allllll the right places. Can I get an AMEN? :D

I will apply there and i am technically not white. Will see what happens :)

A friend of mine who is not a minority talked to Meharry and they encouraged her to apply.

He likes black chicks. They got alllllll the right curves in allllll the right places. Can I get an AMEN? :D

lol they definitely got curves, but..... nvm idk what to say to that lol.. i like the italianas w/ curvess

I hope you know that YOU DONT have to go to howard to help underrepresented/unprivileged people.

most people who goto dental school for treatments are the once who cannot afford dental care outside. which includes poor white folks too.

But the main point is, if you want to "HELP" people i would suggest you take any opportunity in any given school. But this thread sounds fishy when you say howard and you want to help people, why didn't you say ASDOH or costa rica, etc...

if you look at some dental students blogs or YouTube videos of certain d-schools it proves that you can go anywhere and still make a tangible difference.

The patient population will depend on location. Most likely there will be a melting pot.

Yes, I am fully aware of that– thank you anyways though. Didn't mean to make the thread fishy lol, but ASDOH takes a lot more white people I would believe.

I've seen several asian students at meharry. Do they get preferences as well? Granted I{m going with a small sample size here?

A friend of mine who is not a minority talked to Meharry and they encouraged her to apply.

More applications=more money. Case Western encouraged me to apply, then rejected me the day after they cashed my secondary fee. Also schools love to report how many students applied to their programs.

Zero chance. Caucasian implies 350 year head start.

Look Mr. taiji, don't be dumb. Not ALL white people have it easy. Don't think that all white people have a "head start" b/c it's simply not true. There are white who are born into WAY worse circumstances compared to many minorities. Just like there are many minorities born into WAY worse circumstances compared to many whites. Don't be so quick to judge. :thumbup:

Is it just me or isn't it kind of inconsiderate for a honky lol to be applying to Howard or Meharry?

I mean these schools are designed to help out African-Americans who may not have as many opportunities for dentistry available at other schools.

By applying and getting accepted, a honky is essentially taking away a seat from the intended audience. Not to mention the bad karma that will follow you.

There are enough white dominated schools to choose from. Shame on you!

Is it just me or isn't it kind of inconsiderate for a honky lol to be applying to Howard or Meharry?

I mean these schools are designed to help out African-Americans who may not have as many opportunities for dentistry available at other schools.

By applying and getting accepted, a honky is essentially taking away a seat from the intended audience. Not to mention the bad karma that will follow you.

I disagree with your argument. I think he should go ahead and let the school decide if the applicant deserves the seat. Even if the applicant doesn't get in, he/she is supporting the school via the application fee =)

It is just you...I disagree with every single word in your post!

It is just you...I disagree with every single word in your post!

No, it's just me. I agree with every single word in your counterpost!

Dudes, I was being facetious in my earlier posting. I hope you all can realize it.

wait... honkey is an acceptable word?
I'm about to call NAAWP

I wouldn't apply to any of those schools anyways. Choosing applicants based on their skin color is just wrong.

wait... honkey is an acceptable word?
I'm about to call NAAWP

I wouldn't apply to any of those schools anyways. Choosing applicants based on their skin color is just wrong.

Yes, the whites need to unite and boycott these white-discriminating schools! Strength in honky unity!

Although I agree with your argument, you really need to articulate your thoughts better. This topic has been beaten to death many times :beat:

Many URMs grew up in poor environments that made it tougher on them to succeed. There are many challenges to being poor that I won't get too deep into, but the limited availability of role models, along with financial hardships to fund their education, have made their road through college a lot tougher than the average middle classed caucasian/asian student.

Many patients are more comfortable with going to dentists that are their own race, and there is a serious lack of African American and Hispanic dentists serving these communities.

Competition at regular dental schools is tough, and even though adcoms are encouraged to accept more URMs with lower stats, they do not accept enough to meet the needs of many racially diverse communities.

That's why schools like Meharry and Howard were created. It's purpose was to fulfill the needs of many of these communities, not for a middle classed caucasian/asian students with mediocre stats to become dentists.

I understand that there is a new Dean at the MMC School of Dentistry, and that she is bringing major changes to the curriculum and the faculty.

She has exceptional credentials and will do very well.

yanqin4.jpg
yanqin2.jpg
yanqin3.jpg

Last edited:
Meharry has one of the lowest percentage of students who pass their boards(50%). That being said you might as well save the 75$ for a plane ticket or gas to interview at another school.

Meharry has one of the lowest percentage of students who pass their boards(50%). That being said you might as well save the 75$ for a plane ticket or gas to interview at another school.

I don't know where you are getting your information. I am a student at Meharry and my class had an 96% first time pass rate and our average score was higher then the national average. If the pass rate was that low the school would have lost there accreditation.