Odds for a white applicant applying to Howard or Meharry dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
On Howard's website they have the following statistics.

2009 STATISTICS ON FALL 2009 CLASS

The average age is 24 years old.
36 females & 50 males
63% are underrepresented minorities
Class size: 80
Average GPA: 3.17
Average DAT Total Science: 17
National Board Results - Average passing score:
Part I 90% and Part II 80%

So in 2009, 37% were not underrepresented minorities. Thus, non minorities made up a larger percentage of the student body at howard in 2009 than minorities make up at most schools. I checked a few school's websites try to find exact percentages of minorities and couldn't easily find any so I gave up. *shrugs*

Who cares about minorities in dentistry anyway? Well, on the ADA's website they have the following information:
Only 12 percent of students entering dental school are minorities, while minorities make up 25 percent of the general population. Recent data shows that minority dentists treat a very high number of minority patients.

More underrepresented minority dentists (African American, Hispanic and American Indian) are necessary to eliminate the barriers to oral care. This need is expected to increase as statistics indicate that 58 percent of the population will be comprised of underrepresented groups by the year 2050.

So to the OP, I'd say go for it that's what you want to do. For anyone who wants to contest these things that I simply copied and pasted from other websites. Your time would probably be better spent contacting the website creators directly :)

Members don't see this ad.

Whoops. just realized that this was from last year. I wonder if the OP applied and got in?

63% are underrepresented minorities
Class size: 80
Average GPA: 3.17
Average DAT Total Science: 17
National Board Results - Average passing score:
Part I 90% and Part II 80%

So in 2009, 37% were not underrepresented minorities. Thus, non minorities made up a larger percentage of the student body at howard in 2009 than minorities make up at most schools. I checked a few school's websites try to find exact percentages of minorities and couldn't easily find any so I gave up. *shrugs*

Who cares about minorities in dentistry anyway? Well, on the ADA's website they have the following information:
Only 12 percent of students entering dental school are minorities, while minorities make up 25 percent of the general population. Recent data shows that minority dentists treat a very high number of minority patients.

More underrepresented minority dentists (African American, Hispanic and American Indian) are necessary to eliminate the barriers to oral care. This need is expected to increase as statistics indicate that 58 percent of the population will be comprised of underrepresented groups by the year 2050.

So to the OP, I'd say go for it that's what you want to do. For anyone who wants to contest these things that I simply copied and pasted from other websites. Your time would probably be better spent contacting the website creators directly :)

If anyone wanted an actual breakdown for Howard, it's 10 Asian, 54 African American, 3 Hispanic, 5 White, and 7 Other in a class of 80 based on the 2011 ADEA book.

Members don't see this ad :)
Minority x makes up y percent of the population and therefore they should represent y percent of a given occupation.

Is that just another way of asking for a hand out?

Minority x makes up y percent of the population and therefore they should represent y percent of a given occupation.

Is that just another way of asking for a hand out?

The article did not say that the fact that African Americans make up 25% of the population is WHY there should be more African American dentists. The ADA's argument was that because African American dentists treat the majority of African American patients, having a larger number of African American dentist (and probably dentists of any race that were willing to work on patients from low socioeconomic status) would help to provide a greater access to health care for people from this group.

Whether or not you care about access to health care is up to you. Just like it is up to Meharry and Howard to value providing access to health care and choose the students that they believe will most likely serve people of low socioeconomic status. Nevertheless, providing more opportunities for African Americans to receive a dental education is NOT a hand out. The HBCUs still have the same pre-reqs as other schools, they still cost a substantial amount of money, and the dentists who go through those schools still have to pass the same boards as all other dentists. Even if the schools do have slightly lower average stats for their entering class, a significant portion still pass their boards and become dentists indicating that they were not "unqualified".

NONE. ZIP. ZILCH. ZERO....this whole application process is honestly a huge scam, ESPECIALLY howard and meharry. i doubt they even looked at my app....dont wast your time.

Hi Guys. I just stumbled on this site and the "Rants". I should not be trolling the site but I do, but rarely. OK, so I am a graduate of a southern Jim Crow high school in NC (Hi, Duke/UNC, etc), Howard undergrad ("67), Meharry Dental ('71), Boston Univ ('73). I have been a faculty/dept chair at Meharry (dental) since 1974 (Emeritus now). Most importantly, I have been integral to the admission process at Meharry for much of those 35 odd years This is my first reply to a blog !!! Ugh !! (I'm dental, but our med school is even more strident.)

The naivete that you guys are showing about MMC (HBCUs in general) is painful to an old head like me. I have come to understand, though, that the experience is so different from PWIs that it's like comparing apples and oranges. Forget about using the same criteria for each.

Did you know that Meharry gets about 6500 applications for about 100 spots in med and 2000 for 50 spots in dental? Let me assure you that neither school would have any problem filling it class with the "high MCAT and DATs" that you describe yourselves as having. The problem is that Meharry takes its Mission (note the capital) very seriously. We are one of 65-odd dental schools, and one of about 125-odd med schools. Yet we still produce the bulk of the doctors who serve my "peeps". The school has done it since 1866 (Yea, 18 !!)

The MMC dental school does the impossible. Did you know that some 80 % of our graduate do extra study after graduation. (GPRs, Specialty, Military, Public health, etc.?) ALL MMC grads pass all National boards and essentially all pass state boards. Subjective clinicals are not perfect, though. Contrary to your rumors-heard, Meharry students are highly sought out. (Again, I speak for dental since that's what I know best.) Last year I saw 6 of my Black students accepted into grad programs in highly competitive programs in pediatric dentistry. This year I saw 7 in peds alone. I don't think the other 60 schools can match that - My frame of reference is always URM students !) I have had over 110 over my career !!...BLACK !!! In a study of these pediatric graduates, 82% serve mostly minority patients.. by choice !) Yea. I can remember their entering DATs an GPAs too, as a group !! As well as their interviews, too

Here is the scoop (the "dokey") We simply have the slightly lower overall standardized scores (MCAT and DAT) because these scores tell less about the minority student than any other criteria - relative to our Mission. That is, "what we are trying to accomplish!" So we put less emphasis on the scores. The scores are not "indicators" of anything special. How about passion, caring, ethic, pride, leadership, “representin”, responsibility to a cause, etc, etc, etc,?? We also have strong feelings about our responsibility to HBCU undergrad schools. (Me, especially) and to the students who choose to attend them. There are a zillion other criteria other than “high gpa and DAT” that make you an outstanding professional. Believe me, I know. Ever had to stop on the highway? How many Benzs and Bentley’s stopped to help?

What's "best"? "A3.5 from Tulane or a 3.5 from Tugaloo?" A 3.5 from Florida State or a 3.5 from FAMU? A 3.5 from Harvard or a 3.5 from Howard. Our (MY) thought is that it purely depends on what you want them to do with the degree. I’ll pick the latter every time ! Some 65 dental schools are looking for the former.

Consider these very common MMCSOD applicant profiles:

1. A black male/female ("target student") from Fisk, a Jubilee Singer, from the "hood", inner city public high school valedictorian, from single mom, dad left when he was six, supports his two brothers, a 3.3 avg in biology. and a 24/5 MCAT/or 17 DAT, supported by his church, wants to do public health/primary care medicine/dentistry and go back home to practice with the underserved from her community.

2. A suburban daughter ("non target" of an established neurosurgeon in Beverly Hills..........(etc.), 30 MCAT/(22DAT) and a 3.6 from UCLA and wants to do dermatology and join her dad.

3. A "Minority" student (That's YOU at PWIs....grouped with the Asian, Middle Eastern, Hispanic. Indian, etc. Usually, the "minority" group leaves about 2 to 4 Blacks in a class at most PWIs - that have any, half of which will be from HBCUs.) The minority, ie, immigrant student has a 3.8 gpa, a 32 MCAT/24DAT and is undecided on his/her plans.

Question: Who gets the last available spot at Meharry Medical College, specifically ? Why? (Hint: The only school in the whole damn country that fully gives a damn about underserved populations !!! ) Yea, Yea, I know

Hint: If YOU fell desperately sick right now and fell on the floor in agony....What's the most important thing about a doctor?? (Think Benz/Bentley)

Incidently, “All-Black” Howard and Meharry both have more non-black students (by %) than any other school has black students. Is that MMC and HU being “racist”?

I could go on for days about this stuff. I bleed Meharry blood.

Let me know if you want more from me.

“Ol-Timer”

Reactions: 2 users
Hi Guys. I just stumbled on this site and the "Rants". I should not be trolling the site but I do, but rarely. OK, so I am a graduate of a southern Jim Crow high school in NC (Hi, Duke/UNC, etc), Howard undergrad ("67), Meharry Dental ('71), Boston Univ ('73). I have been a faculty/dept chair at Meharry (dental) since 1974 (Emeritus now). Most importantly, I have been integral to the admission process at Meharry for much of those 35 odd years This is my first reply to a blog !!! Ugh !! (I'm dental, but our med school is even more strident.)

The naivete that you guys are showing about MMC (HBCUs in general) is painful to an old head like me. I have come to understand, though, that the experience is so different from PWIs that it's like comparing apples and oranges. Forget about using the same criteria for each.

Did you know that Meharry gets about 6500 applications for about 100 spots in med and 2000 for 50 spots in dental? Let me assure you that neither school would have any problem filling it class with the "high MCAT and DATs" that you describe yourselves as having. The problem is that Meharry takes its Mission (note the capital) very seriously. We are one of 65-odd dental schools, and one of about 125-odd med schools. Yet we still produce the bulk of the doctors who serve my "peeps". The school has done it since 1866 (Yea, 18 !!)

The MMC dental school does the impossible. Did you know that some 80 % of our graduate do extra study after graduation. (GPRs, Specialty, Military, Public health, etc.?) ALL MMC grads pass all National boards and essentially all pass state boards. Subjective clinicals are not perfect, though. Contrary to your rumors-heard, Meharry students are highly sought out. (Again, I speak for dental since that's what I know best.) Last year I saw 6 of my Black students accepted into grad programs in highly competitive programs in pediatric dentistry. This year I saw 7 in peds alone. I don't think the other 60 schools can match that - My frame of reference is always URM students !) I have had over 110 over my career !!...BLACK !!! In a study of these pediatric graduates, 82% serve mostly minority patients.. by choice !) Yea. I can remember their entering DATs an GPAs too, as a group !! As well as their interviews, too

Here is the scoop (the "dokey") We simply have the slightly lower overall standardized scores (MCAT and DAT) because these scores tell less about the minority student than any other criteria - relative to our Mission. That is, "what we are trying to accomplish!" So we put less emphasis on the scores. The scores are not "indicators" of anything special. How about passion, caring, ethic, pride, leadership, “representin”, responsibility to a cause, etc, etc, etc,?? We also have strong feelings about our responsibility to HBCU undergrad schools. (Me, especially) and to the students who choose to attend them. There are a zillion other criteria other than “high gpa and DAT” that make you an outstanding professional. Believe me, I know. Ever had to stop on the highway? How many Benzs and Bentley’s stopped to help?

What's "best"? "A3.5 from Tulane or a 3.5 from Tugaloo?" A 3.5 from Florida State or a 3.5 from FAMU? A 3.5 from Harvard or a 3.5 from Howard. Our (MY) thought is that it purely depends on what you want them to do with the degree. I’ll pick the latter every time ! Some 65 dental schools are looking for the former.

Consider these very common MMCSOD applicant profiles:

1. A black male/female ("target student") from Fisk, a Jubilee Singer, from the "hood", inner city public high school valedictorian, from single mom, dad left when he was six, supports his two brothers, a 3.3 avg in biology. and a 24/5 MCAT/or 17 DAT, supported by his church, wants to do public health/primary care medicine/dentistry and go back home to practice with the underserved from her community.

2. A suburban daughter ("non target" of an established neurosurgeon in Beverly Hills..........(etc.), 30 MCAT/(22DAT) and a 3.6 from UCLA and wants to do dermatology and join her dad.

3. A "Minority" student (That's YOU at PWIs....grouped with the Asian, Middle Eastern, Hispanic. Indian, etc. Usually, the "minority" group leaves about 2 to 4 Blacks in a class at most PWIs - that have any, half of which will be from HBCUs.) The minority, ie, immigrant student has a 3.8 gpa, a 32 MCAT/24DAT and is undecided on his/her plans.

Question: Who gets the last available spot at Meharry Medical College, specifically ? Why? (Hint: The only school in the whole damn country that fully gives a damn about underserved populations !!! ) Yea, Yea, I know

Hint: If YOU fell desperately sick right now and fell on the floor in agony....What's the most important thing about a doctor?? (Think Benz/Bentley)

Incidently, “All-Black” Howard and Meharry both have more non-black students (by %) than any other school has black students. Is that MMC and HU being “racist”?

I could go on for days about this stuff. I bleed Meharry blood.

Let me know if you want more from me.

“Ol-Timer”
Bringing an old thread back from the dead haha. I like the idea that you guys are trying to go after in selecting students that have not had it easy coming up through their lives and education. However one thing that bothers me about your post and by your explanation, institution's admission criteria, is the frequency by which you are using the word BLACK and MINORITY. While a good number of disadvantaged students may be from diverse cultural backgrounds, I think it goes without saying there is a comparable number of Caucasian, Hispanic, Asian, students that may have had similar difficult paths to put them where they're at. If we are to ever achieve racial equality, how will this be possible as long as people are identified by their ethnicity instead of their experiences that make them the person they should be judged as. It shouldn't be: the BLACK student that had a rough childhood and wants to go back to an unserved population. If the adcom at the school is selecting people on the basis of their skin color, I think this is wrong.

I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.
-Dr Martin Luther King

Bringing an old thread back from the dead haha. I like the idea that you guys are trying to go after in selecting students that have not had it easy coming up through their lives and education. However one thing that bothers me about your post and by your explanation, institution's admission criteria, is the frequency by which you are using the word BLACK and MINORITY. While a good number of disadvantaged students may be from diverse cultural backgrounds, I think it goes without saying there is a comparable number of Caucasian, Hispanic, Asian, students that may have had similar difficult paths to put them where they're at. If we are to ever achieve racial equality, how will this be possible as long as people are identified by their ethnicity instead of their experiences that make them the person they should be judged as. It shouldn't be: the BLACK student that had a rough childhood and wants to go back to an unserved population. If the adcom at the school is selecting people on the basis of their skin color, I think this is wrong.

I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.
-Dr Martin Luther King

The term "Black" (especially with the capital like I use it) does not refer to skin color, like white or black. The term refers to a culture, one with a history and a reality. The issue is who has a responsibility to "face the realities of the culture and influences? Not to mention the results". With 65 other "better" dental schools out there and only one tiny school, or two, trying to put salve on one specific problem, What can they do to please everybody? The school already selects more non-Black to its program than any other school helps us in a similar fashion. Is that one school expected to do more? Forget this "difficult path" thing. The question is, " Who will make the most difference where it is needed?" (Rich kids Black and white (No capital ???) get into MMC without prejudice.) In fact I am up early this morning to fight the Nashville ice storm to go interview 4 students, I checked.. one Black, Asian, Caucasian, and Middle Easterner. (25% for a Black school, huh?). Believe me, No decision is pre-made. It will be made on just what I said. It will not be made on who simply has the highest DAT/GPA!! Incidently, I don't decide on who gets a spot. That's a committee. I just recommend and give opinions, etc. Everybody knows me and respects nearly 40 years of input (and sucesses) though. I'm enjoying this.

Reactions: 1 users
I honeatly dontbthink youll have a problem at all if you have the grades and a history of extracurriculars that support their philosophy. The personal statement is a great place to highlight aspects of your predental lifestyle and future goals in line with their mission to provide general care to medically underserved individuals. I have a Caucasian buddy who is a D2 at Meharry this year, he loves it!!

Last edited:
You hit it right on the head. That is exactly what is done. My experience is that most non-Black MMC students rapidly learn to have an appreciation for the school. It's very unique. Its methods of teaching/learning are very "hands-on" and person to person with deep communication the standard-of-the-day. The culture is very different, so it takes a little time to get used to it but most do so quickly. Rarely do these students fare worst at MMC than their grades/DAT suggest that they would do elsewhere. Virtually all do much better. Virtually all get grad programs or other desired opportunities. A surprising percentage serve underserved populations (though not necessarily exclusively) as a matter of responsibility. All this stuff is documentable. This is why the school gets full accreditation.

I'm very happy to be attending Meharry this summer to start my DDS, would you elaborate on the unique teaching methods? How is this different from other dental schools?

Sent in my secondaries and fee, rejected me before they even cashed the check. I am asian.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Remember now, I bleed MMC blood. Not everyone agrees with me but I see Meharry as a national treasure and resource. So I can't speak to my Asian (lower case ??) friend from Atlanta (above) who thinks the school is a joke because he did not get in. How dare Meharry not accept another Asian from Atlanta, even though we take many just such applicants. I'll just have to assume my friend WAS accepted to many of the other schools he/she applied to.

Congrads to the person who will be coming this summer. You probably remember me from the interview sessions (The older guy). Teaching dentistry technique and information is the easy part. Most stuff is rather finite. Some schools have more "advanced tech stuff", though. Meharry has it too, but often not for "every student every time". What sets the school apart is the attitude. The competitive approach, "Look to you right, look to your left....." is generally replaced with ....." We expect to see the 3 of you at graduation". It takes the very competitive entering freshmen nearly a year to get into the "family" groove in which the students work closely together supportively. The school has a small fiercely dedicated faculty who will interact with each student on a personal basis. There is not a rush to expel a person who may have difficulty, rather, to get each person up-to-snuff. Each faculty will surprise the student with how much they know of the student. There is a lot of "role modeling". Students are generally accepted as compared to their "group standard", so there are different expectations for different "groups". My Asian friend from Atlanta (above, had he been accepted) would not have the same expectation to "serve the under-served" as compared to an African-American male, for example. So their entering numbers might be different (often higher) . Their performance in basic science might be reflected comparatively too. The goal is to follow the Mission of the school, however. The African American students are much more dependable in this regard. We are proud of that. I'm enjoying this.

Reactions: 1 user
Remember now, I bleed MMC blood. Not everyone agrees with me but I see Meharry as a national treasure and resource. So I can't speak to my Asian (lower case ??) friend from Atlanta (above) who thinks the school is a joke because he did not get in. How dare Meharry not accept another Asian from Atlanta, even though we take many just such applicants. I'll just have to assume my friend WAS accepted to many of the other schools he/she applied to.

Congrads to the person who will be coming this summer. You probably remember me from the interview sessions (The older guy). Teaching dentistry technique and information is the easy part. Most stuff is rather finite. Some schools have more "advanced tech stuff", though. Meharry has it too, but often not for "every student every time". What sets the school apart is the attitude. The competitive approach, "Look to you right, look to your left....." is generally replaced with ....." We expect to see the 3 of you at graduation". It takes the very competitive entering freshmen nearly a year to get into the "family" groove in which the students work closely together supportively. The school has a small fiercely dedicated faculty who will interact with each student on a personal basis. There is not a rush to expel a person who may have difficulty, rather, to get each person up-to-snuff. Each faculty will surprise the student with how much they know of the student. There is a lot of "role modeling". Students are generally accepted as compared to their "group standard", so there are different expectations for different "groups". My Asian friend from Atlanta (above, had he been accepted) would not have the same expectation to "serve the under-served" as compared to an African-American male, for example. So their entering numbers might be different (often higher) . Their performance in basic science might be reflected comparatively too. The goal is to follow the Mission of the school, however. The African American students are much more dependable in this regard. We are proud of that. I'm enjoying this.
You definitely have good points. I think the bigger picture here is different people have different personalities and shouldn't be narrowed down to what race they are. I am Asian but most people say that I don't act like Asian because of my open personality. I like to serve the under-served and help out people, too, not because I am Asian or I am not Asian. I am sorry if I misunderstood your post.

For Howard you have a chance. For Meharry there's little to no chance. This is from looking at the ADEA book. Meharry generally takes a large percentage of African Americans. Howard is way more diverse in it's selections of all ethnic backgrounds.

I just noticed that you bumped an old thread..... Wow

I'm totally new at this process. I did not know that this was an old thread. I don't even know what "bumped an old thread" means. It's just that one day I was lurking around blogs, etc. and ran across these messages, and wrote a reply !

Howard takes a lot of federal money and must be a stickler to stay in "compliance", etc. (This is my understanding). MMC is private and is known to have a Mission that benefits the nation as a whole by being a leader in supplying competent providers for under-served and disadvantages populations. I promise you, MMC does NOT have any policy, overt or hidden, to exclude any group. It simply recognizes many additional qualities in addition to DAT/GPA that define a needed professional. In addition, it has traditions, values, histories, etc that define it as an institution (since 1866). We see ourselves as that singular institution where under-served, disadvantaged, and otherwise under represented applicants can avail themselves of a focused culturally appropriate and sensitive education.

Remember, I mentioned in a previous post that I was going to interview 4 applicants during a snow storm. Well only one showed up. She (Black) waited in an iced-in northern airport all day and was going to come "at all costs". She had wanted to go to MMC since childhood. She was from a difficult background but mentored several similarly under priviledged girls, worked a couple jobs, had a difficult social time at a up-scale private school (scholarship) where even her recommendation letters alluded to her difficulty there. A wonderful interview all around, actually. Question: What DAT/ GPA should be considered "acceptable" for her to go to MMC. (Hint: Her numbers would probably not get her application past the screening secretary at many schools) What should this old-timer do?

I'm totally new at this process. I did not know that this was an old thread. I don't even know what "bumped an old thread" means. It's just that one day I was lurking around blogs, etc. and ran across these messages, and wrote a reply !

Howard takes a lot of federal money and must be a stickler to stay in "compliance", etc. (This is my understanding). MMC is private and is known to have a Mission that benefits the nation as a whole by being a leader in supplying competent providers for under-served and disadvantages populations. I promise you, MMC does NOT have any policy, overt or hidden, to exclude any group. It simply recognizes many additional qualities in addition to DAT/GPA that define a needed professional. In addition, it has traditions, values, histories, etc that define it as an institution (since 1866). We see ourselves as that singular institution where under-served, disadvantaged, and otherwise under represented applicants can avail themselves of a focused culturally appropriate and sensitive education.

Remember, I mentioned in a previous post that I was going to interview 4 applicants during a snow storm. Well only one showed up. She (Black) waited in an iced-in northern airport all day and was going to come "at all costs". She had wanted to go to MMC since childhood. She was from a difficult background but mentored several similarly under priviledged girls, worked a couple jobs, had a difficult social time at a up-scale private school (scholarship) where even her recommendation letters alluded to her difficulty there. A wonderful interview all around, actually. Question: What DAT/ GPA should be considered "acceptable" for her to go to MMC. (Hint: Her numbers would probably not get her application past the screening secretary at many schools) What should this old-timer do?
I didn't mean to disrespect about bumping the old thread. I apologize.

Howard, I'm pretty sure doesn't receive a lot of federal money to stay in compliance. I can assure you because they are also private. They interview about 170 students for 70 seats. They're also an HBCU. Their facilities aren't all the best, but they teach students to work with what they have so that when they graduate, they'll know how to practice in any community they serve with just bare essentials.

And about that student you interviewed, you only knew about her story because she was given the chance to interview. I'm just pointing out facts because given that this is a 3 year old thread. Year in and year out, Meharry predominantly admits African Americans only. This may not be your policy to hold agendas against other ethnic backgrounds but that doesn't disclose the truth year in and year out that this is what the information is given to those who look at the ADEA book. It is okay though. It's not a big deal given that MMC is an HBCU. What I find disturbing is that people continue to encourage non-African Americans to apply here when the school admits 1-3 non-African American students. In my opinion, it is a waste of application money if they don't get an equal chance to be applying here. I also find it intriguing that MMC also asks for photographs of students on their supplemental application.

Howard's mission is just as strong as any dental school out there. Especially to the underserved and disadvantaged populations. Howard is very well known in my home state which is 3 hours of a flight away. They have many alumni leaders from all sorts of different ethnic backgrounds scattering throughout the nation to not only serve the underserved populations, but to help in communities that are disadvantaged in which they came from.

Last edited:
You definitely have good points. I think the bigger picture here is different people have different personalities and shouldn't be narrowed down to what race they are. I am Asian but most people say that I don't act like Asian because of my open personality. I like to serve the under-served and help out people, too, not because I am Asian or I am not Asian. I am sorry if I misunderstood your post.

This was my point earlier. I think its hogwash to say one race is superior to any other. Sounds eerily similar to some interesting historical figures...

Prof Emer, you're entitled to your opinion to think African American students should be more preferable to your school's mission than a student of any other race, we obviously share different viewpoints. I unlike Mr. Atlanta am a current dental student that is very happy at the school I attend. The administration (I am quite certain) does not hold any racial bias predicting student success when selecting students and in the end has great board scores and graduation rates as do most other dental schools that share this idea. Quite honestly I would be upset too if I were held to a different expectation based on the color of my skin. You may be trying to help the schools image on this forum explaining the schools mission but you've repeatedly said how African American students are preferred over others which is probably driving away most other applicants that are reading your posts. Who would want to go somewhere they are not desired? As for the girl that you interviewed and had always wanted to attend, she sounds like a really nice person. You weren't very specific but sounds Like her DAT/GPA were less than stellar. You have pointed out that you are more willing to overlook these factors more than other schools, however as you know becoming a dentist requires a certain cognitive ability for scoringg well on tests and learning difficult material. Potentially unfortunate for her there is a standard held by the ADEA that she must achieve in the form of board exams to test her cognitive ability that she may have great difficulty with having not been the best student in undergrad. This is not to say people with low GPA/DATs cant pass but I would consider it to be a predictor, otherwise why would every other dental school be considering it. Just for the record id like to note that I have no ties to the school and hold no bad blood from experiences in the past (applied\interviewed\rejected).

Good luck during accreditation with your current views on race. Some liberal at the ADEA would have a heyday

I am offended by your assumption that your school is the only school In the country that cares about underserved populations. I should probably go tell our well respected head of Community Dentistry she must be an idiot that doesn't do her job. Along with that I might as well quit doing exams/sealants on underserved elementary schoolers myself since I don't care in your mind.

Last edited:
This was my point earlier. I think its hogwash to say one race is superior to any other. Sounds eerily similar to some interesting historical figures...
The supplemental is how they determine who gets interviewed or not. they ask you to upload a photo of yourself to determine your race. some other schools ask for photos too but only AFTER the interview invitation.

I agree that to select candidates based on the color of their skin is also hogwash. If a school took only one race other than an HBCU, I can only imagine we will be seeing Al Sharpton on tv very quickly

The supplemental is how they determine who gets interviewed or not. they ask you to upload a photo of yourself to determine your race. some other schools ask for photos too but only AFTER the interview invitation.

I agree that to select candidates based on the color of their skin is also hogwash. If a school took only one race other than an HBCU, I can only imagine we will be seeing Al Sharpton on tv very quickly

What is hogwash is that most other schools have the stats in reverse where there is only 0-4 African Americans in a class of ?70. I guess I should be grateful for my 5% chance. Thank God there aren't more schools like Meharry otherwise Sean Hannity or Ann Coulter would be all over television.

Prof Emer, you're entitled to your opinion to think African American students are more preferable to your school's mission, we obviously share different viewpoints. I unlike Mr. Atlanta am a current dental student that is very happy at the school I attend. The administration (I am quite certain) does not hold any racial bias predicting student success when selecting students and in the end has great board scores and graduation rates as do most other dental schools that share this idea. Quite honestly I would be upset too if I were held to a different expectation based on the color of my skin. You may be trying to help the schools image on this forum explaining the schools mission but you've repeatedly said how African American students are preferred over others which is probably driving away most other applicants that are reading your posts. Who would want to go somewhere they are not desired? As for the girl that you interviewed and had always wanted to attend, she sounds like a really nice person. You weren't very specific but sounds Like her DAT/GPA were less than stellar. You have pointed out that you are more willing to overlook these factors more than other schools, however as you know becoming a dentist requires a certain cognitive ability. Potentially unfortunate for her there is a standard held by the ADEA, as opposed to your school, that she must achieve in the form of board exams to test her cognitive ability that she may have great difficulty with. This is not to say people with low GPA/DATs cant pass but I would consider it to be a predictor, otherwise why would every other dental school be considering it. Just for the record id like to note that I have no ties to the school (applied\interviewed\rejected).

Good luck during accreditation with your current views on race. Some liberal at the ADEA would have a heyday

P.S. I am highly offended by you saying your school is the only school In the country that cares about underserved populations. I should probably go tell our well respected head of Community Dentistry she must be an idiot that doesn't do her job. Along with that I might as well quit doing charitable exams/sealants on elementary schoolers myself since I don't care in your mind.

Studies show that minorities do not do as well on standardized tests as their white counterparts which would surmise that standardized tests are not the best indicators for future success. Your insinuation about cognitive ability is laughable and insulting. I guess only the 0-4 African Americans in a dental class have the "cognitive ability" to pass the boards when compared to all the other African Americans that applied. You seem like a highly intelligible person who "cares" about the underserved. Can you please explain why minorities make up such a low percentage of dental classes in many of the dental schools?

I didn't mean to disrespect about bumping the old thread. I apologize.

Howard, I'm pretty sure doesn't receive a lot of federal money to stay in compliance. I can assure you because they are also private. They interview about 170 students for 70 seats. They're also an HBCU. Their facilities aren't all the best, but they teach students to work with what they have so that when they graduate, they'll know how to practice in any community they serve with just bare essentials.

And about that student you interviewed, you only knew about her story because she was given the chance to interview. I'm just pointing out facts because given that this is a 3 year old thread. Year in and year out, Meharry predominantly admits African Americans only. This may not be your policy to hold agendas against other ethnic backgrounds but that doesn't disclose the truth year in and year out that this is what the information is given to those who look at the ADEA book. It is okay though. It's not a big deal given that MMC is an HBCU. What I find disturbing is that people continue to encourage non-African Americans to apply here when the school admits 1-3 non-African American students. In my opinion, it is a waste of application money if they don't get an equal chance to be applying here. I also find it intriguing that MMC also asks for photographs of students on their supplemental application.

Howard's mission is just as strong as any dental school out there. Especially to the underserved and disadvantaged populations. Howard is very well known in my home state which is 3 hours of a flight away. They have many alumni leaders from all sorts of different ethnic backgrounds scattering throughout the nation to not only serve the underserved populations, but to help in communities that are disadvantaged in which they came from.

If 1-3 implies that there is not an equal chance. Why is it that 0-4 is the number of African American students in a lot of dental classes?

I don't have any problem having ANY number of qualified students of ANY race Asian, Caucasian, African American...etc. If there Is any interesting feature to make someone a desirable student and member of a school I understand that. What I have said repeatedly in my post about this is there should be no feature of race is the dental school application process. There should be no generalizations or expectations of an applicant based on what race they are. A good majority of my friends in my class are a different race than me so I assure you I have a very open mind on the subject. Its ridiculous to say though that a member of any race should be preferred over any other in any sense. Period. If someone is not a good student that is a member of any race I would say that taking any 8 hour standardized board exam that covers complex dental anatomy and occlusion, physiology and micro, pathology and immunology, general anatomy, biochem, etch comprising years worth of credit hours in class. (Ill let you know how It goes in June), might present a difficulty for them. I know plenty of people that are very nice and caring people but what good are they as a dentist if they don't have the ability to learn all the complex thought processes that go into determining how to treat a pathology or develop a treatment plan. These are the type of people that make great dentists I agree but you need to be at a certain educational level to make it through dental school. I don't think you would be able to comment on the subject well informed unless you are a current student.

Last edited:
Want to know what gives a school like Harvard the name that it does across all fields? Its the fact that they have the highest statistics for students in test scores look up the highest DAT year after year... it doesnt matter if theyre black, white, yellow, or blue.

You think youre 1 in 4 students in an accepted class factoring in your ethnicity but tell me what GPA/DATand any relevant things to your application are and Ill tell you what your chances of getting into dental school overall are without knowing your race. You're looking at the wrong statistic. No sane dental school threw out the _____ kid with the 3.8 24 DAT without a blatant red flag.

Last edited:
What is hogwash is that most other schools have the stats in reverse where there is only 0-4 African Americans in a class of ?70. I guess I should be grateful for my 5% chance. Thank God there aren't more schools like Meharry otherwise Sean Hannity or Ann Coulter would be all over television.
Exactly as arlmay has said. What are the stats of these students that are applying? You sit here and claim that 0-4 African American students are admitted into certain schools yet what you fail to realize is what were the statistics of those that actually did apply? I don't see ANY African American student on these boards complaining that they get rejected from a school with competitive GPA or DAT simply because of their race. Go ahead and let me know when you find one. I'll wait.

MMC on the other hand, heh, let's just say that's my only rejection with a 3.8 GPA and 24 DAT. Had I indicated I was African American I would've been given an interview without delay.

Last edited:
I'm almost willing to bet these 0-4 students that are accepted are actually competitive students.

Facts are facts and the fact is MMC has the LOWEST DAT average and GPA averages for their acceptances out of all dental schools. You can still be a good HBCU and pick a good diverse class. Just ask Howard. That's why their average matriculated student possesses a well rounded application enough that typically gives them options to make when accepting a dental school

Last edited:
Studies show that minorities do not do as well on standardized tests as their white counterparts which would surmise that standardized tests are not the best indicators for future success. Your insinuation about cognitive ability is laughable and insulting. I guess only the 0-4 African Americans in a dental class have the "cognitive ability" to pass the boards when compared to all the other African Americans that applied. You seem like a highly intelligible person who "cares" about the underserved. Can you please explain why minorities make up such a low percentage of dental classes in many of the dental schools?
I can tell you right now that that's an inaccurate statement for many if not myself alone. I'm a minority. And there are many other minorities besides just African American. You can include Latino, Native American, Asian and all others into this discussion.

And if standardized tests are not the best way to gauge everyone on fair grounds, why do we even do it to begin with? By the very same measure, why even test for boards during dental school LOL. Surely not all 60+ dental schools are wrong. You sound like you're bitter by the competitiveness that surrounds dental school. I applied 2 times to get in. It's no easy task. I can attest for you as a minority, I've never faced racial persecution in school applications until I applied to MMC.

Last edited:
Wow! Maybe I have started something good here. I'm thrilled. Remember, I'm an old dude so you can expect some old thinking from me. It's really fascinating to me to realize that thinking is so different in its nature via age, experiences and "race" (whatever that is). I am learning over time that a reason there is so much dissension among people(s) is because we are simply not on the same page. The frames of reference are widely variant. My singular focus in each of my posts is to express a urgent need for providers to service a very damaged culture...and I am proud to have been part of an institution that has focused on that specific need for decades by doing a certain thing for a certain group for a certain purpose using a certain method/focus. I do not even see the issue as "racial". I definitely do not question the quality or intent of the other 65 dental schools. "It is what it is, they do what they do." Nor is any part of my thinking or psyche based on some prejudiced notion of other groups or "races". Believe me, I have fought hard in support of tons of Asians, gays, women Middle Easterns, White (up-case!), Natives, Hispanics, etc !! (Again, my school has more of these than any other school has my focused group, which includes women!) My point is that the art of creating a cadre of sensitive and caring persons focused on a specific need requires more that "standard" evaluation criteria. It requires focused effort, understanding and proper methodology. Every body (as expressed in groups) is very different. We just happen to be one of two schools that happen to focus on the A-A group. I understand Oklahoma does Native Americans, Wash-Seattle does Asians. The southern state schools focus on in-state students, etc. I like nearby Kentucky's dental school, for example, because it is said to focus on under-served Kentuckians (is my understanding), or West Virginia too. My Howard reference had no negative intention at all (my undergrad school!). Just that it possibly has more restraints on admissions policy than MMC because it is largely federally supported historically. ("Freedsman's Bureau"). "It's all good", as the young'uns say. Am I really that out of tune?? Let me know.

Last edited:
How about Loma Linda? What are we to assume about that school, not withstanding that they are focused on Seventh Day Adventists? I happen to think it's great and a filling a great need. No apologies there, huh? Is there really a huge difference between selectively picking students to fill a spiritual void vs a school selectively picking students to fill a huge social void? Help me here somebody.

How about Loma Linda? What are we to assume about that school, not withstanding that they are focused on Seventh Day Adventists? I happen to think it's great and a filling a great need. No apologies there, huh? Is there really a huge difference between selectively picking students to fill a spiritual void vs a school selectively picking students to fill a huge social void? Help me here somebody.
I was actually accepted there and I'm not a seventh day Adventist.

I'm not sure if you really are a representative/faculty member of MMC but if you really are, and are that old to come on here to spread your agenda, it really speaks volume on your institution's reputation. First, you mention that it is not in your policy or admissions mission to select ethnic groups but your most recent reply asks what's wrong with selecting students to fill a social void. Simply amazing.

Last edited:
Just letting you guys know, a bunch of schools ask for pictures with your secondaries (before you get an interview)... I know I sent out four this past cycle, and I didn't apply to Meharry.

Just letting you guys know, a bunch of schools ask for pictures with your secondaries (before you get an interview)... I know I sent out four this past cycle, and I didn't apply to Meharry.
I had only 2 schools ask for pictures. Meharry and UDM.

If I could roll back time, I would've not applied to MMC either. You're fortunate not to have wasted your money and time.

https://www.mmc.edu/_modules/events/didyouknow2.html

Also, the first-time Part I passing rate for the 2013 class was 94%... So all y'all implying they accept idiots who are incapable of learning the "rigorous dental curiculum necessary to diagnose blah, blah, blah" can calm down.

Last edited:
I had only 2 schools ask for pictures. Meharry and UDM.

If I could roll back time, I would've not applied to MMC either. You're fortunate not to have wasted your money and time.

Yes, because I did my research and saw it was a private school that mostly accepted a certain demographic. I did this with every school and only applied where I knew my chances were high. Don't blame them for your lack of preparation.

Yes, because I did my research and saw it was a private school that mostly accepted a certain demographic. I did this with every school and only applied where I knew my chances were high. Don't blame them for your lack of preparation.
I'm blaming them right now because ProfEmer here is spreading hypocrisy so other prospective applicants take his word that they do accept people equally. This is just leading to false information and going to cause the hopeful prospective student to apply and waste time and money.

I researched the school using the ADEA book so don't assume that I lacked preparation. Honestly if you had the credentials I had, you would be quite hard pressed to understand why you got rejected. And after calling them to ask why, ask they can tell me is to all my own advisors at my own institution. My advisors were confused as to why I even got rejected with my GPA, DAT, research and service.

Last edited:
I'm blaming them right now because ProfEmer here is spreading hypocrisy so other prospective applicants take his word that they do accept people equally. This is just leading to false information and going to cause the hopeful prospective student to apply and waste time and money.

I researched the school using the ADEA book so don't assume that I lacked preparation. Honestly if you had the credentials I had, you would be quite hard pressed to understand why you got rejected. And after calling them to ask why, ask they can tell me is to all my own advisors at my own institution. My advisors were confused as to why I even got rejected with my GPA, DAT, research and service.

What? Did you even read his last post?

We just happen to be one of two schools that happen to focus on the A-A group. I understand Oklahoma does Native Americans, Wash-Seattle does Asians. The southern state schools focus on in-state students, etc.

And dude, I know plenty of people who got rejected with high stats for seemingly no reason. If MMC really focuses on the underprivileged, they probably look at your history and past more than your grades (as @ProfEmer so clearly demonstrated with his story). It makes sense that they accept more African Americans/Hispanics since there are higher percentages of those two ethnicities living below the poverty line.

What? Did you even read his last post?

And dude, I know plenty of people who got rejected with high stats for seemingly no reason. If MMC really focuses on the underprivileged, they probably look at your history and past more than your grades (as @ProfEmer so clearly demonstrated with his story). It makes sense that they accept more African Americans/Hispanics since there are higher percentages of those two ethnicities living below the poverty line.
Brother, I am Hispanic. I'm Dominican and El Salvadorian.

He said this way up in the thread that he doesn't select students based on ethnic backgrounds.

I have helped the underserved communities and I continue to do so. I do mission trips to Jamaica, Haiti, and countries in South America. I've gone on 5. I have done more than I can possibly list unless I copy and paste you my AADSAS volunteering and professional experiences. So again, I'm still confused why the blatant rejection without reason.

I promise you, MMC does NOT have any policy, overt or hidden, to exclude any group.

Last edited:

Lol, most other dental schools only accept a handful of African American students... are you saying it's "disturbing" when people recommend that African American students apply to UAB (5/62 African Americans in 2013 class), ASDOH (4/76 AAs in 2013 class), MWU-AZ (3/140 AAs in 2013 class), Loma Linda (7/93 AAs in 2013 class), USC (7/144 AAs in 2013 class), UCLA (1/132 AAs in 2013 class), UCSF (1/87 AAs in 2013 class)...? I was going to do all the schools but I think you get the point.

Brother, I am Hispanic. I'm Dominican and El Salvadorian.

He said this way up in the thread that he doesn't select students based on ethnic backgrounds.

No, he said they didn't exclude any group. He's been pretty straight up from the beginning that they give certain groups preferences. Just like some schools prefer IS over OOS, some schools prefer certain religions, etc.

Also, you were wrong earlier: http://ideas.time.com/2012/10/11/why-its-time-to-get-rid-of-standardized-tests/, minorities do perform worse on standardized tests, but I don't know if they included DAT in this category (although one could argue that minorities are already phased out when they don't get accepted to the same colleges as their counterparts).

Lol, most other dental schools only accept a handful of African American students... are you saying it's "disturbing" when people recommend that African American students apply to UAB (5/62 African Americans in 2013 class), ASDOH (4/76 AAs in 2013 class), MWU-AZ (3/140 AAs in 2013 class), Loma Linda (7/93 AAs in 2013 class), USC (7/144 AAs in 2013 class), UCLA (1/132 AAs in 2013 class), UCSF (1/87 AAs in 2013 class)...? I was going to do all the schools but I think you get the point.
That's entirely different. What were the students that applied to those schools grades? Like I said, if their credentials were good, why aren't there people complaining on SDN that they're African American and haven't gotten in with competitive numbers?

That's entirely different. What were the students that applied to those schools grades? Like I said, if their credentials were good, why aren't there people complaining on SDN that they're African American and haven't gotten in with competitive numbers?

You see plenty of people complaining about how they were denied from state schools even with extremely high numbers.

You see plenty of people complaining about how they were denied from state schools even with extremely high numbers.
Yeah but the point is, they actually get somewhere. And they often don't disclose their race. People will always complain about not getting in state schools because it's cheaper.

I honestly am done with this thread. It's an old resurrected thread. I'm just happy I got into a dental school where I'll be able to give back to my community and school. Congratulations to you on your acceptances this year. Best wishes

Yeah but the point is, they actually get somewhere. And they often don't disclose their race. People will always complain about not getting in state schools because it's cheaper.

I honestly am done with this thread. It's an old resurrected thread. I'm just happy I got into a dental school where I'll be able to give back to my community and school. Congratulations to you on your acceptances this year. Best wishes

1) I have no idea what you mean in the bolded statement.
2) Almost everybody discloses their race on the AADSAS application.
3) Congrats on your acceptances as well!

Just wondering and was thinking of applying to these schools.. I don't have the most recent ADA Official Guide, but from the one I have.. there were maybe 1 or 2 white students.. do you think it is still the same?

meharry and howard have cheap tuition. that should be the motivating factor.

bc honestly, you may like their locations...but nothing is stopping you from going anywhere else and then serving in said underserved areas.

Ok guys, I get it now. My distractors and I are just on totally different pages (or books !). After reading this entire thread over an over I am realizing that some people (especially GoingToSchoolForever) seem fully focused on the "individual" and their deserving to be accepted to a school rather than , like me, focusing on communities, and populations in need, deserving to have a focus on their health needs being alleviated. This is a fundamental difference in philosophy. The language gives my "disagreers" away. If you can read my posts and surmise that I am racist, agenda driven, hypocritical, and/or other terms used toward me, then I have failed in my venture into "social media". Again, before I return to what I do best these days of retirement from my years at MMC, (i.e., gardening and restoring my 1960 TR-3, Bug-Eye Sprite, and my Austin-Healey 3000), let me recap. MMC is fully accredited, focuses its acceptance on persons who demonstrate a high likelyhood of serving under-served populations, of all races, creeds, national origins, as well as "conditions of previous servitude", It successfully selects a widely diverse student body (more than most schools) that meets this goal at over 80+%, The gpa and DAT are used, though they are the weaker indicators of performance or goals of the typical MMS student. Generally these numbers on aggregate are only slightly lower, if at all, in comparison to more "selective" schools ( a cost of following the historic Mission of the school) No MMC graduate, does so without having passed Pt-1, Pt-2 and a state or regional board (over 95+% of entering d-1). Over 80+% do additional training after MMC, and 80+% actually serve a majority of under-served patients- by choice. As mentioned by a MMC student in this thread, some 90++ pass the Boards first time and virtually all by the second.
Congratulations to all of you who were accepted to your "top" school of choice. I hold no grudge against you, your school, or any aspect of your being/goals. Do your thing ! I only hope you can feel as gratified in your career as I have been in my 40 years at Meharry. I'm otta here ! I may lurk in another site, though. Maybe a public health or community service site, huh? Good luck to all of you. (I'll check back for a while to see if anyone wants to hear more from me for some reason.)

Ok guys, I get it now. My distractors and I are just on totally different pages (or books !). After reading this entire thread over an over I am realizing that some people (especially GoingToSchoolForever) seem fully focused on the "individual" and their deserving to be accepted to a school rather than , like me, focusing on communities, and populations in need, deserving to have a focus on their health needs being alleviated. This is a fundamental difference in philosophy. The language gives my "disagreers" away. If you can read my posts and surmise that I am racist, agenda driven, hypocritical, and/or other terms used toward me, then I have failed in my venture into "social media". Again, before I return to what I do best these days of retirement from my years at MMC, (i.e., gardening and restoring my 1960 TR-3, Bug-Eye Sprite, and my Austin-Healey 3000), let me recap. MMC is fully accredited, focuses its acceptance on persons who demonstrate a high likelyhood of serving under-served populations, of all races, creeds, national origins, as well as "conditions of previous servitude", It successfully selects a widely diverse student body (more than most schools) that meets this goal at over 80+%, The gpa and DAT are used, though they are the weaker indicators of performance or goals of the typical MMS student. Generally these numbers on aggregate are only slightly lower, if at all, in comparison to more "selective" schools ( a cost of following the historic Mission of the school) No MMC graduate, does so without having passed Pt-1, Pt-2 and a state or regional board (over 95+% of entering d-1). Over 80+% do additional training after MMC, and 80+% actually serve a majority of under-served patients- by choice. As mentioned by a MMC student in this thread, some 90++ pass the Boards first time and virtually all by the second.
Congratulations to all of you who were accepted to your "top" school of choice. I hold no grudge against you, your school, or any aspect of your being/goals. Do your thing ! I only hope you can feel as gratified in your career as I have been in my 40 years at Meharry. I'm otta here ! I may lurk in another site, though. Maybe a public health or community service site, huh? Good luck to all of you. (I'll check back for a while to see if anyone wants to hear more from me for some reason.)

that is a very interesting statement to make. Assumptions only get you so far as you do not know me. To claim that I am focused on myself and not on the community is not only an out-right lie but speaks volume about your school, especially on a forum like SDN. It makes you seem unprofessional and it can only hurt the image and reputation of your institution.

SDN by the way, is not social media. It is a forum for information and is used as such. You coming onto the forum to raise hypocrisy and false accusations (not only to me, but as well as others) just because you feel like you're "enjoying it" again, tarnishes the image of your very own school.

Hi Guys. I just stumbled on this site and the "Rants". I should not be trolling the site but I do, but rarely.

“Ol-Timer”

I also want to say that for you to say you also like trolling on here makes me really question if you are indeed a faculty member at MMC or if they really do have childish professionals such as yourself to go on here just to troll and have fun. For someone that is imposing themselves as a health professional that has 40 years experience, I am quite honestly surprised that you are even an interviewer for the school. But if you really enjoy it, then troll on brother. I just hope whoever reads this actually gets to see the bulk of your non-sense.

I applied 2 times to get in. It's no easy task.

Honestly if you had the credentials I had, you would be quite hard pressed to understand why you got rejected.

Hmmmm.... who's trolling now? Might be that you don't have a MMC problem, but a "you" problem?
There's a big world out there, that extends beyond you, and your stats. MMC feel like they have to select students to fulfill a social mission, using criteria that differ from the norm. As long as their graduates pass the boards, who cares how they got there?
I'm sorry dude, just like that girl who didn't want to go to prom with you, MMC wasn't as impressed with you as you are with yourself. Just move on?

Last edited: