% of pre-meds on SDN?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Consuela

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd be curious if anyone has a clue (maybe via members in Pre-medical Forums) as to what % of pre-meds actually know about/stalk SDN? It's an awesome resource! but I didn't find out about it until I was out of undergrad (taking a couple of gap years) and now I feel that I missed out on a lot (i.e. wasn't "gunner" enough). Have since been trying to play catch-up in a lot of areas.

Who told you about SDN?

Members don't see this ad.

Judging by how high everyone stats are vs the actual matriculate average I'd say very low. Also judging by the negative reaction I get from my other pre-med peers when I drop basic SDN knowledge ( like adcoms don't care about what you major in!!!) I also say very low.

Reactions: 3 users
I agree with listener. I don't think premeds know about this amazing resource. SDN needs to be promoted by pre-health advisors. Anyways, I found about sdn when I typed a question in google. Cant remember what the question was though..

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I actually heard about SDN from my MCAT instructor. He specifically mentioned the website to us as a place to never go to, telling us it will make us feel so inadequate/ill-prepared compared to everyone else.

Obviously, I didn't listen to his advice. SDN, like any other forum-based website, will give you terrible advice, great advice, and everything in between. You didn't necessarily miss out on anything in your undergrad years by not knowing about SDN.

SDN has never giving me wrong advice (you got to know who to ask) but it does make me feel inadequate

Reactions: 2 users
Listener I also would like to tell you that your account's image is of the Caduceus, the symbol of commerce. The rod of Asclepius is the one related with medicine. Just in case you didn't know...

I actually heard about SDN from my MCAT instructor. He specifically mentioned the website to us as a place to never go to, telling us it will make us feel so inadequate/ill-prepared compared to everyone else.

Obviously, I didn't listen to his advice. SDN, like any other forum-based website, will give you terrible advice, great advice, and everything in between. You didn't necessarily miss out on anything in your undergrad years by not knowing about SDN.

That's really weird, my MCAT instructor actually told me the same exact thing. Because of that, I applied late and got rejected because of it. I ended up on SDN due to confusion about why I got rejected. The difference between this cycle and last is amazing, but I'm still waiting to hear from the places I've interviewed at so this cycle could turn out exactly the same as last.

SDN is not widely known at my school (although my school is incredibly large). A number of premeds simply follow our premed advising blindly (admittedly, they're quite good, but still)

A number of premeds simply follow our premed advising blindly (admittedly, they're quite good, but still)

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeaah, probably not. My school (major, huge university) had awful premed advisers, and there's been many threads about adviser horror stories.

SDN suffers from being known as "premed CollegeConfidential" a lot here in the Northeast. People think it's filled with neurotic premeds screaming about their ill-preparedness in the cycle and that it doesn't have anything good to add for applicants.

That's good. That's very good. I'm a fan. How would we have an advantage if everyone knew about this great resource?

giphy.gif

Reactions: 5 users
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeaah, probably not. My school (major, huge university) had awful premed advisers, and there's been many threads about adviser horror stories.
Tell me about it. My adviser said that I'd have trouble getting into medical school this year. Granted I don't have an acceptance yet, but it's hard to call me a loser with 6 interview invites. Advisers are notorious for dispensing advice based on "truthiness."

I'm actually told to stay off SDN a lot if the time because it's filled with neurotic pre-meds and sometimes can make you feel really insecure. If I bring up something I saw on SDN, my friends tell me to go away lol. When it's not annoying posts like "OMG I got 10 interviews, I'm awesome!" Or "If I have a 3.97 am I doomed for med school??", a lot of the resources here are super helpful! I hope more pre-meds take (useful) information from here!