# of Programs to Rank to match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kl323

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was just wondering what's a good number of programs to rank to safely match?

I am not part of this application cycle, so I'm just trying to gauge my odds and how realistic it will be for me to get into anesthesia.

My stats aren't spectacular.

US Allopathic
Step 1: 215
Preclinical year: All passes with a few HP.
Clinical year: HP (Med, Surg, Anesthesia (no honors given for Anesthesia))
No research.
Quite a few volunteer and extracurricular stuff.
No red flags.

I'm looking to stay in the NYC/tri-state area. I know my desires to stay in NYC doesn't help my cause, but I'm trying to be realistic. Theres a total of 14 programs in the NY/NJ area that I would go to. Of those 14, I already know I won't match into the top tiers (Columbia/Cornell/Sinai/NYU/Einstein)... That takes out a big chunk of my list.

The only advice I have so far (from my anesthesia preceptor) --- Kill step 2 and apply broadly.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I was just wondering what's a good number of programs to rank to safely match?

I am not part of this application cycle, so I'm just trying to gauge my odds and how realistic it will be for me to get into anesthesia.

My stats aren't spectacular.

US Allopathic
Step 1: 215
Preclinical year: All passes with a few HP.
Clinical year: HP (Med, Surg, Anesthesia (no honors given for Anesthesia))
No research.
Quite a few volunteer and extracurricular stuff.
No red flags.

I'm looking to stay in the NYC/tri-state area. I know my desires to stay in NYC doesn't help my cause, but I'm trying to be realistic. Theres a total of 14 programs in the NY/NJ area that I would go to. Of those 14, I already know I won't match into the top tiers (Columbia/Cornell/Sinai/NYU/Einstein)... That takes out a big chunk of my list.

The only advice I have so far (from my anesthesia preceptor) --- Kill step 2 and apply broadly.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

Look at the Charting outcomes 2011 for the detailed breakdown but, in short, with 6 contiguous ranks there's a 94% of matching. However, take that with a grain. Your preceptors right. Try and rock the rest of your 3rd year rotations, do well on Step 2, do some aways, etc.

Yep, Charting Outcomes in the Match can answer most people's general questions about stats, numbers etc that are asked on this forum. People must read Charting Outcomes and think "I don't agree, maybe someone on a forum will be more authoritative than these statistics"

Kill step 2 and apply broadly.

Exactly. Try to honors the rest of your rotations. Don't be a douche on your interview.
If you're certain you want to secure a career in anesthesiology and don't want to have to scramble, then apply and interview to as many programs as you can and rank them all. No need to worry about "what are my chances" when making your rank list. As long as you can rank 6-8 programs, you will almost certainly match. Good luck. :thumbup: