# of weeks for interviews? Dec/Jan. Dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blutie202

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks -

How many weeks should be allotted for EM interviews? I was told to keep all of December (and 1/st half of Jan.) free but I'm planning to go to London for a week in mid-December. This would only leave me with 2 weeks (Dec.) + 1 month (Jan.) for interviews. I'm also told programs stop interviewing around mid-January....

Will a trip to London hurt my chances?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey folks -

How many weeks should be allotted for EM interviews? I was told to keep all of December (and 1/st half of Jan.) free but I'm planning to go to London for a week in mid-December. This would only leave me with 2 weeks (Dec.) + 1 month (Jan.) for interviews. I'm also told programs stop interviewing around mid-January....

Will a trip to London hurt my chances?

Thanks.

I interviewed from the end of Oct through December. You will probably be able to schedule around your trip, but you need to be johnny on the spot with checking your email. One of the programs that I interviewed at in Dec sent me an email with a link to schedule interviews. I opened that email 7 minutes after it was sent and 2 days were already booked. I checked the link again at 15 min post-send and they were completely booked except for 1 day in January.

The point? Medical students are crazy about scheduling their interviews super quickly. You should be too.

Some of this depends on your likely geography of programs and how competitive you are as an applicant.
If you are a strong applicant and are interviewing at places where you can drive in a few hours, you may be okay.

Weak applicant, applying all over the country, you need maximum flexibility.
Nothing should be more important in your life than this process right now.
I wouldn't schedule any trips until you at least start scheduling some interviews.
If you can still fit in the trip great, if not, do it later in the year.

Members don't see this ad :)
You just have to ask yourself if you're ok missing an interview or two for the trip. Let's say a couple programs you think you'd really like invite you for that week and that's their only day, would you regret going? If the answer's no, then go.

Interviews area grind and you'll want to spread them out a little.

Thanks guys, very helpful. So it sounds like I should wait and see...

Last question: by what date should I wait to decide whether missing the week of Dec. 14-21 will be a problem (to buy my ticket)? Mid-October?

Interviews are my utmost priority and I certainly want to match at an excellent program -- just curious if I can make a better decision to buy my airfare for England by a certain date..

This will obviously vary...but the dates I saw at the majority of the places I applied were Nov - January 22ish. I did have 1 interview in October and my latest was end of January. I left Dec open in my schedule for interviews, but you have to keep in mind the majority of places will be taking a break around the end of Dec for holidays and restarting after the New Year. So if you are trying to plan a trip mid-Dec that really only gives you like 1 week in Dec.

RE your last question I think what TimesNewRoman said still applies. Once spots start to get tight they might call you and only offer you a spot for 1 specific date with VERY little notice. It could work out fine, but why chance it? Having flexibility during interview season is important. I moved around a lot of interviews to accommodate my top priorities. I tried not scheduling any flights more than 2 weeks out...even so I had to lose a 300 ticket after I got a last min. invite to my top choice after moving 2 interviews.

It's crazy how quickly some interviews go. I set up text message forwarding for an email filter so I knew ASAP about new interviews. Also make sure to answer all unknown numbers. I got at least 2 phone call interview invites. You may get some post-interview "follow up" by phone as well.

It's crazy how quickly some interviews go. I set up text message forwarding for an email filter so I knew ASAP about new interviews. Also make sure to answer all unknown numbers. I got at least 2 phone call interview invites. You may get some post-interview "follow up" by phone as well.

Hey, how did you set up the text messaging forwarding? I get the part about filtering e-mails, not sure about the phone part. Great idea btw.

Hey, how did you set up the text messaging forwarding? I get the part about filtering e-mails, not sure about the phone part. Great idea btw.

Thanks mybubbles, but how far in-advance did you receive interview notices? Did all programs notify you about an upcoming interview by Mid-October, or will some let you know as late as 2-weeks PRIOR to the scheduled dates? I'm trying to gauge whether I can wait and see by, say early November, as to whether I'll be able to travel overseas in mid-December...

For gmail...and I have verizon

1. Go to settings click on forwarding and POP/IMAP

2. Add a forwarding address it should be: your10digitnumber@vtext.com (ie for555[email protected])

(you should get a confirmation code to your phone)

3. follow the directions and enter the confirmation code

*make sure you keep the setting to disable forwarding checked otherwise it will forward every email you get*

4. Click on the hyperlink to Add Filter and type Interview into "Has the words"

5. click continue

6. check the box "forward it to" and select your forwarding text email address

7. click "update filter"

Thanks mybubbles, but how far in-advance did you receive interview notices? Did all programs notify you about an upcoming interview by Mid-October, or will some let you know as late as 2-weeks PRIOR to the scheduled dates? I'm trying to gauge whether I can wait and see by, say early November, as to whether I'll be able to travel overseas in mid-December...

I honestly don't remember the exact timeline of all of my invites. It also depends on where you apply. The majority I had plenty of notice, unless I picked a date that was very close. However quite a few of my programs didn't invite period until after ACEP (I believe it's the last week of Oct this year). Most of them sent out invites in multiple waves. I literally got notice for 2 interviews in under a week...probably because they knew I was local or within 3 hours drive. I also got off of some wait lists (1 date offered) with not much notice.

Reactions: 1 user