Off-Cycle Position Process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chicago2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am extremely curious about something, given the FM position that was posted in the Available Position forum here on SDN, and that is, how do you send all the information needed to apply for a newly open off-cycle position. I immediately attempted to contact my home institution to send my info, but no one responded. By the time the late evening came along, the position was filled. I can obviously send my CV, statement of interest, and personal statement easily enough, but sending my school transcripts, LORs, and the such obviously requires a bit of coordination with my school, coordination that does not appear to be present.

Members don't see this ad.

I am extremely curious about something, given the FM position that was posted in the Available Position forum here on SDN, and that is, how do you send all the information needed to apply for a newly open off-cycle position. I immediately attempted to contact my home institution to send my info, but no one responded. By the time the late evening came along, the position was filled. I can obviously send my CV, statement of interest, and personal statement easily enough, but sending my school transcripts, LORs, and the such obviously requires a bit of coordination with my school, coordination that does not appear to be present.

As a graduate, your medical school is probably not going to give your requests a "drop everything and take care of this now" priority rating. However, I would hope it would provide you with a .pdf of your transcript and MSPE so that you could be empowered to act on your own. Also, approach your letter writers for a .pdf of their letters and, if possible, get a .pdf of your ERAS application. Keep them in a file on your computer so that you can send them immediately when you find an program accepting applications.

Thanks, and no, they've never provided me with anything like that. I'm working with directly with my mentor now BECAUSE of the fact that my institution has not given me any help. My mentor was extremely displeased with them.

I've actually asked them multiple times and no one there seems to be able to give me a straight answer.

If nothing else you can order a copy of your official transcript through the registrar's office. I'm glad that you are still getting help and advice from your mentor--the dean's office will be more likely to respond to faculty than to you.

This is a long shot, but as coordinator, I printed, scanned, and saved the full packet (ERAS ap and all supporting documents) of everyone we interviewed last year. If I did that, there's a chance other coordinators do that as well. Check with the places you interviewed, starting at your home program if you interviewed there. Call rather than email--you'll be more likely to get a positive response if a program does, indeed, keep those files. And July/August is a good time to approach a coordinator for a favor.