off-service rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsyYaYaYaYai

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I just wanted to ask what you think are the most important things to take away from off-service rotations, particularly inpatient medicine, pediatrics, and neurology. I know sometimes we are just there to work versus learn, but I wanted to poll some of the experienced folks and see what are some things you 1) should glean or 2) wish you had gleaned.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

1) Step 3, Step 3, Step 3.
2) Confidence in managing common medical conditions seen on inpatient psychiatry.
3) Comorbidity alertness for all your future patients.
4) Experience with how floor teams run to make you an effective consultant.
5) Step 3.

Reactions: 2 users
I'll add recognition of delirium, although C&L can help with this too.

Members don't see this ad :)
On Neuro, definitely make sure you have mastered doing a GOOD neuro exam so you can pick up on it if your patient has neuro deficits.
On IM, definitely pay attention to what initial steps you should take with HTN, DM, UTIs, and chest pain (the most common problems that seem to crop up with my psych inpatient admissions).
With Peds, well, I guess that depends on if you are considering CAP or not.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone!

I just wanted to ask what you think are the most important things to take away from off-service rotations, particularly inpatient medicine, pediatrics, and neurology. I know sometimes we are just there to work versus learn, but I wanted to poll some of the experienced folks and see what are some things you 1) should glean or 2) wish you had gleaned.

Thanks in advance!

How to be efficient/triage/multitask when you're exhausted, hungry and covered in strange liquid

Reactions: 1 users
In other words, parenting.

Except intern year there are at least duty hours and occasionally free pizza.

I'm amazed that humanity has survived for so long.

Reactions: 1 user
I think one should focus his or her attention on learning as much medicine/neuro in the months allotted as possible. You have the rest of residency to learn psychiatry- though I don't necessarily remember everything I learned on my IM or neuro months, I put a ton of energy into the cases I saw and really am glad I did.

Reactions: 4 users
I think one should focus his or her attention on learning as much medicine/neuro in the months allotted as possible. You have the rest of residency to learn psychiatry- though I don't necessarily remember everything I learned on my IM or neuro months, I put a ton of energy into the cases I saw and really am glad I did.

I second this. Don't blow off your off-service rotations. Psychiatry may be your specialty, but you're still a physician. You are responsible for whatever happens on that psych ward, psych-related or not. I had to identify and manage hypovolemic shock in a geri patient bleeding internally from a pelvic fx and stabilize until help arrived and got her transferred to the ICU.

This is what I was gonna say. Learn to be a good general doctor and it'll pay off.