Official 2008 "Woe is me" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chuck's Right Foot

Class of 2013
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, ready to vent? Frustrated over lack or responses? Life kicking you when you are down? Tell it friends.

I'll start.

I started volunteering at the local hospital working with the Cancer Navigator. This was good!

I received two interviews. This was good too!

I received two waitlists... Not TOO bad.

Two weeks later, my mom was diagnosed with cancer. Ok, now the bad stuff starts.

Post surgery (end of March) my mom suffers two strokes. The 2nd one from the PIC line they used to administer the dopamine to treat the first stroke. Big time bad.

I spend about three weeks or a month caring for my mom (I was her medical advocate...this was good, but emotionally difficult).

I get d!cked around by her insurance company (this is bad!) and waste three weeks where she could've recovered in therapy. Paperwork was like a full time job. Freaking horrible.

Now my grandmother is probably dying. I'm completely anxious about my mom's procedure to fix her patent foramen ovale, my father loosing his mom, me loosing my grandmother, and my future as a physician. I'm right on the edge of overload.

I just wish I KNEW so I could deal with everything else.

Ok, that's a horribly organized post... feel free to ignore.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, your life is way more frustrating than mine. I just keep hoping I'll make it off the UCLA waitlist. Other than that, life's good.

First, it sucks that all this is happening at once. I'm sorry.

Secondly, write about this in your update letters to those schools. I'm sure it'll help some.

Best of luck getting off one or both those waitlists!

Thanks.

Today has been a very hard day. I'll focus on getting my stuff together for the 09 cycle and keep my fingers crossed.

My GM is magnaminous in her state it is amazing. She said it would make her so happy if I were to get into med school, mind you, not that she's unhappy now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't see why you didn't have more success, your stats seem good. Sorry to hear about your family, best of wishes.

JW, im sorry...those are very tough times that i have been fortunate enough to have never experienced. I'm sitting on a couple waitlists, so i feel your frustration, anxiety, anger, etc... in that department. I've been so miserable and pissed off about not getting accepted to medical school this time around, and I feel like i'm just a drag to be around right now. Then I think about how much worse things could be for me, and I feel really pathetic for being so self-centered.

Just hang in there, things are bound to get better. I'm with dArroway, you have great stats and will surely get into medical school eventually...if not this year, then maybe next year. Keep your chin up, and I wish the best for your mother and grandmother.

Oh yeah, and f@%! the insurance company!

Hey, i'm so sorry to hear about your family/situation.

You will be in my thoughts/prayers. If you need anything at all, even just to talk/vent, feel free to message me.

Hang in there.

Thank you all for your support. It really has been helpful. I felt kind of silly writing the post, but I'm really glad I submitted it; i think venting my frustrations lightened my load just a bit.

you guys rock...

JWLuiza - use this experience as an example of how you have learned compassion, you have increased your understanding of insurance companies and finally, you have come to realize that you can withhold your own needs for the needs of others.

Site examples of each of the above.

Your stats are so good, maybe you need help with interview skills? Request a friend or professor interview and critique your skills. Then after you have improved or understood your weak areas, request a second interview from the school.

My thoughts are with you at this time.

JWLuiza - use this experience as an example of how you have learned compassion, you have increased your understanding of insurance companies and finally, you have come to realize that you can withhold your own needs for the needs of others.

Site examples of each of the above.

Your stats are so good, maybe you need help with interview skills? Request a friend or professor interview and critique your skills. Then after you have improved or understood your weak areas, request a second interview from the school.

My thoughts are with you at this time.

It's not the interview. I'm pretty good one-on-one... I was in training to be a psychotherapist... I even have confirmation from Jefferson that my interview went so well that if I had to apply again in 09 that they wouldn't need to bring me in for another interview.

It's probably sub-par clinical experience and quitting a Ph.D. program to pursue medicine... We shall see though. And of course, I am using what I have learned as I send out LOIs.

Thanks though for the suggestion.

Grrr. Now my grandmother passed away. I miss her. She would've been excited to see me get into school.

Hey JWLuiza,

I'm so sorry for your loss, and offer you and your family my condolences. May God (or whatever deity(ies)/entity/idea/philosophy you believe in) rest her soul.

You've probably heard a lot people trying to console you or offer their sympathies. It's nice, but sometimes it's not what you want to hear. Guess we all have to go through the motions and formalities. But just know that she is always with you... in thought, in spirit, and in heart.

It only gets harder for a while. You start missing all the little things that used to go unnoticed or hardly mattered. In time though... all in time...

I don't believe that anyone truly ever dies. Every single person leaves a part of themself behind in the world.

Her love has become a part of you, and you will pass that love on to others... Thus her legacy will continue for lifetimes.

It seems as if we're going through very similar situations. Message me if you wanna talk or something. We're here for ya.

Mr. Magorium: ""Light bulbs die, my sweet. I will depart."

Hey JWLuiza,

I'm so sorry for your loss, and offer you and your family my condolences. May God (or whatever deity(ies)/entity/idea/philosophy you believe in) rest her soul.

You've probably heard a lot people trying to console you or offer their sympathies. It's nice, but sometimes it's not what you want to hear. Guess we all have to go through the motions and formalities. But just know that she is always with you... in thought, in spirit, and in heart.

It only gets harder for a while. You start missing all the little things that used to go unnoticed or hardly mattered. In time though... all in time...

I don't believe that anyone truly ever dies. Every single person leaves a part of themself behind in the world.

Her love has become a part of you, and you will pass that love on to others... Thus her legacy will continue for lifetimes.

It seems as if we're going through very similar situations. Message me if you wanna talk or something. We're here for ya.

Mr. Magorium: ""Light bulbs die, my sweet. I will depart."

Thanks,

I appreciate the sentiment. I'm going to bed. Hope when I wake up we both get Temple acceptance on "Temple Thursday".

Damn JW, sorry to hear that G. There's nothing I can really say to help you out but I will pray that God grants you strength.

I don't even know why I'm complaining but...

I don't have a job and I'm broke. Really broke, I live off of Top Ramen and tuna broke. And I've been crashing in my friend's living room since September because I can't afford rent.

I don't have health insurance which is going to make it difficult to get immunized. I also had a recent battle with strept throat that I fought with a cocktail of antibiotics I was able to scrounge from my friends. That was the worst sickness I've ever experienced and I truly feel for the uninsured and the underserved.

My uncle was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer the day of my UCSF interview.

He died while I was flying to 2nd look.

Lost my grandfather to annuerism (sp) a while back. The other one has had 3 strokes but he's still kicking. But I'm worried that his next will be his last.

I have an abundance of women problems.

Gas is expensive.

I'm just trying to last until I get that financial aid check and then I'm eating filet mignon for a week.

Last edited:
Grrr. Now my grandmother passed away. I miss her. She would've been excited to see me get into school.

She'll see you and she'll be proud, even though she's not "here" anymore I firmly believe that our loved ones on the "other side" (whatever it may be) watch over us and will always be a part of our lives.

Try to stay positive, and I really hope you come off one of those waitlists soon! I understand your frustrations, my boyfriend also had great stats and great interviews and zero acceptances - he's still on two waitlists and at this point all we can really do is hope and pray!

Good luck :)

I am so sorry about your grandmother. I'm sure she was proud of you, med school or not =)

My thoughts and hopes are with your mother and your family. Good luck, and I hope everything turns out for the best (including your waitlists! :luck:)

Thanks everyone. Hopefully that should be it for problems for a long time.

Damn JW, sorry to hear that G. There's nothing I can really say to help you out but I will pray that God grants you strength.

I don't even know why I'm complaining but...

I don't have a job and I'm broke. Really broke, I live off of Top Ramen and tuna broke. And I've been crashing in my friend's living room since September because I can't afford rent.

I don't have health insurance which is going to make it difficult to get immunized. I also had a recent battle with strept throat that I fought with a cocktail of antibiotics I was able to scrounge from my friends. That was the worst sickness I've ever experienced and I truly feel for the uninsured and the underserved.

My uncle was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer the day of my UCSF interview.

He died while I was flying to 2nd look.

Lost my grandfather to annuerism (sp) a while back. The other one has had 3 strokes but he's still kicking. But I'm worried that his next will be his last.

I have an abundance of women problems.

Gas is expensive.

I'm just trying to last until I get that financial aid check and then I'm eating filet mignon for a week.

Hope you make it :) Try some pasta too, that's cheap as well. Don't starve before med school!

Hey JW, was it your bday recently?

Any good news on this oh so lovely Temple Thursday (haha i like your phrase =))

Actually, I turn 30 8/7/08. No good news for me... you?

Oh, haha, sorry for being stalkerish creepy, but i thought i saw a 29 on your MDapps page a while back and then today it said 30, so ya anyways.

Nope not yet. What about you? Any news? What are your plans from here?

i'm rooting for ya man.

Oh, haha, sorry for being stalkerish creepy, but i thought i saw a 29 on your MDapps page a while back and then today it said 30, so ya anyways.

Nope not yet. What about you? Any news? What are your plans from here?

i'm rooting for ya man.

Yeah, I figured that's what you saw. That is KIND of creepy ;) But it's the age at matriculation. We'll see.

I've submitted AACOMAS and AMCAS and trying for the third time. If this doesn't work... maybe I'll go become a profusionist or a PA.... who knows.

Yeah, I figured that's what you saw. That is KIND of creepy ;) But it's the age at matriculation. We'll see.

I've submitted AACOMAS and AMCAS and trying for the third time. If this doesn't work... maybe I'll go become a profusionist or a PA.... who knows.

haha i wish my memory could be that "creepy" for scholastics/academia too, sheesh.

Ugh. Hopefully (and i'm praying for ya) something good will come very very soon so you won't have to go through this hell another time.