*~*Official 2011-2012 PharmCAS Thread!*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Im in a sticky situation. All the California schools that I am applying to go through rolling admissions. I still haven't done any of the supps and the deadlines nov. 1. Should I attempt to finish everything within a few days to send it in or wait till next year? I feel like i am very late in this admissions process...

You're not late. Go ahead and finish everything up.

Members don't see this ad.

Items from high school should be added as an exception. Here are the only cases that I would consider high school awards:

(1) Your duration of time in college is very short (e.g, you're going straight from minimum pre-reqs to pharmacy, so high school stuff is only 2-4 years old).

(2) The awards from high school were very extraordinary.

(3) This one is iffy but some people believe that if it was a precursor to a more recent and relevant achievement, listing older items demonstrate a history of excellence.

Those sound like reasonable exceptions to me :thumbup:

hmmm, i know you get mailed your actual scores in that time but I'm not sure how long it takes PharmCAS to get it...I would imagine that they would send them at the same time tho....

For the official grade report to be sent to you, 5 weeks from the test date.

For the grade report to all your designated schools (including PharmCAS), mailed "within 2 weeks" of the date they send the official grade report to you. Other people have mentioned that they have usually mailed in batches on Mondays.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the official grade report to be sent to you, 5 weeks from the test date.

For the grade report to all your designated schools (including PharmCAS), mailed "within 2 weeks" of the date they send the official grade report to you. Other people have mentioned that they have usually mailed in batches on Mondays.

WHHAAATT??? 7 weeks for pharmcas to get it! Dude, now I'm scared my application won't be completed in time...

I have a question relating to PharmCAS. I took the PCAT in October 2010 and I know PharmCAS received my score (I sent it to 104). I was planning on applying last year but decided I wanted to graduate first. So now I am working on my application for this cycle. Will PharmCAS know or find my PCAT scores from last year or do I have to pay the $20 to Pearson for them to send them to PharmCAS again? My PCAT CID is entered into my new application as well. Thank you

How long did it take Pharmcas to receive and post your academic transcript(s)? I sent mine in on August 5 and they have yet to be posted on my application. Did it take others several weeks to have their transcripts posted?

How long did it take Pharmcas to receive and post your academic transcript(s)? I sent mine in on August 5 and they have yet to be posted on my application. Did it take others several weeks to have their transcripts posted?

I'm wondering the same thing. They say at least a week for them to be posted. My school sent mine Aug 1st and PharmCAS says they still have not received them. Hmmm.

You guys are submitting stuff at one of the busiest, if not THE busiest time of the year for pharmacy apps. Be patient and don't panic.

Not to criticize anyone here because I know there are often legitimate reasons for waiting to send in things like transcripts, but let this be a lesson to anyone applying in later cycles (or still has a deadline that is months away): submit everything as early as you can and save yourself some stress.

Hello everybody,

I need your advise please, I'm international student. what are my chances to get in fall 2012?

schools that I applied: nova southeastern, loma linda, western, pacific ca, shenandoah, midwestern (glendale & chicago), massachusits (worchester), albany ny & vt , Tennessee memphes.

my stats:

B.S degree in pharmaceuticals sciences (GPA was evaluated by WES to 2.51).

M.S degree in hospital admin ( will be awarded by summer 2012 GPA 3+).

6 years experience as licensed pharmacist in hospital.
1 year as coordinator of continues professional development in pharmacy department.
3 years as pharmacy tech. in private pharmacy.

Pcat planned in sept 2011 ( but I forgot a lot of basics b/o I graduated since 2005 so, I might got a low grade ).

a little bit of extra-curriculum activities.

4 LORs from prof, pharmacist, supervisor, teacher.

IELTS exam I got 6.5 band.

what are my chances and, which schools do you advise me to apply?

thank you

Im not sure if this ? was asked earlier or not but I was wondering how the application gets submitted on Pharmcas if you are applying to different colleges with different deadlines? Do we get to choose when we decide to submit our application for colleges which have a later deadline. Or once we hit Esubmit; all the designated colleges receive the application from Pharmcas?

Im not sure if this ? was asked earlier or not but I was wondering how the application gets submitted on Pharmcas if you are applying to different colleges with different deadlines? Do we get to choose when we decide to submit our application for colleges which have a later deadline. Or once we hit Esubmit; all the designated colleges receive the application from Pharmcas?

All designated colleges will receive the application. What you could do is add more designations after esubmitting, but you won't be able to modify the application.

Thank you. I ask because I have couple deadlines that come a month after the other and I am not completely sure if I am applying to all or need to apply to all!

Not sure if it's been asked but when PharmCAS says you can edit your reference contacts after you've turned in your application, does that mean you can add references after you've turned in the application or does it just mean mean I can only edit the references' contact information so I would have to have all my references listed before I turn in the application?

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys are submitting stuff at one of the busiest, if not THE busiest time of the year for pharmacy apps. Be patient and don't panic.

Not to criticize anyone here because I know there are often legitimate reasons for waiting to send in things like transcripts, but let this be a lesson to anyone applying in later cycles (or still has a deadline that is months away): submit everything as early as you can and save yourself some stress.

I know it is VERY busy time but does anyone know how long is too long to wait before I would have to think my transcripts just weren't received and to try and send them again? 4 weeks? 6 weeks?

Related question: Once PharmCAS does receive the transcripts, what is the GPA calculation thing they have to do? How long does that take?

I know it is VERY busy time but does anyone know how long is too long to wait before I would have to think my transcripts just weren't received and to try and send them again? 4 weeks? 6 weeks?

Related question: Once PharmCAS does receive the transcripts, what is the GPA calculation thing they have to do? How long does that take?

You should call PharmCAS to verify if it's been more than a couple of weeks.

On their end, they verify that your courses were entered properly and then calculate your GPA based on their rules for various categories (e.g., science gpa, cumulative gpa, 1st year gpa, etc.). That could take up to 5 weeks. At this point of the cycle, I would guess about 1-2 weeks.

I have a specific question regarding one question in my supplemental application:

I had an honorable mention in my University's Award Winning Essays contest. This also meant that I was published in the book that all freshman have to buy for their English class. I was planning on listing this accomplishment as one of my Publications. However, I want to discuss this accomplishment in my supplemental application. The issue is that the supplemental application specifically lists "Extracurricular, Work and Honors/Awards."

Can I list this accomplishment as an Honor and also a Publication? Technically I was given an honorable mention and published in the book. This way I can have a publication in PharmCAS and also use this accomplishment to respond to the supplemental application question.

I don't think you should double list items. Besides, the publications I think they had in mind were scientific ones.

Not sure if it's been asked but when PharmCAS says you can edit your reference contacts after you've turned in your application, does that mean you can add references after you've turned in the application or does it just mean mean I can only edit the references' contact information so I would have to have all my references listed before I turn in the application?

Jvinny, I have the same question. I think the answer is yes, but I am not sure.

If it helps, I was unable to edit anything about my references once I entered them initially & hit "ok." My only option was to delete (even though all I needed to change was a phone number - both my references have extensions). This caused the instruction e-mail to go to each reference twice.

I know this doesn't answer your original question - if no one can answer it here, you might want to call PharmCAS so you don't accidentally submit with too few references... then come back & post here. :p

I have already E-submitted my application on pharmcas. There are a couple more schools I want to add now. Is it too late for that?

When do I do the background check on pharmcas? Do we do it when we are accepted or do we do during application process? I'm really confused on this.

When do I do the background check on pharmcas? Do we do it when we are accepted or do we do during application process? I'm really confused on this.

When accepted. You'll probably be prompted by the school at that point.

I have E-submitted my pharmcas app. I have my transcripts being sent to them right now so they have NOT calculated my GPA or send them to my schools yet. Can I send out the Supplemental application even if the schools haven't received my Pharmcas app?

Last edited:
I have E-submitted my pharmcas app. I have my transcripts being sent to them right now so the have NOT calculated my GPA or send them to my schools yet. Can I send out the Supplemental application even if the schools haven't received my Pharmcas app?

Maybe someone in the PharmCAS sticky will know. Moving.

I won't be taking my pcat test until September but I will be applying to some schools that do not require my pcat scores. Do I not submit my pharmcas application until my pcat scores are entered? Or can I submit my pharmcas now (so that the non-pcat schools can see my application EARLY) and then add my pcat scores when they are available, hopefully in early October

You can submit now. The schools that require PCAT will look at your application once they get your scores.

I won't be taking my pcat test until September but I will be applying to some schools that do not require my pcat scores. Do I not submit my pharmcas application until my pcat scores are entered? Or can I submit my pharmcas now (so that the non-pcat schools can see my application EARLY) and then add my pcat scores when they are available, hopefully in early October

You can submit now. The schools that require PCAT will look at your application once they get your scores.

Moving to PharmCAS thread.

In case it helps anyone: My transcripts just showed up as received in PharmCAS today.
My three transcripts were postmarked on 8/3 & 8/4 from AZ.
PharmCAS marked the following dates:
- Received 8/12 (sent 8/3)
- Received 8/12 (sent 8/4)
- Received 8/15 (sent 8/4)
None showed "received" in PharmCAS until today (8/17).

July 27 PCAT score reports are out today. Expecting that Pearson will mail them to PharmCAS within 2 weeks, a week in the mail, and a few days for some poor schlup at PharmCAS to key it. That means PharmCAS will update within 3-4 weeks, by my calculations. While it could be much earlier, I am not going to get nervous until then. :smuggrin:

Hmm okay I was an idiot and submitted my July 27th PCAT info to Code 022 (University of Kentucky) and not 104. I did this because I submitted a PCAT transcript request for PharmCAS earlier this summer to Code 022 and it worked (meaning that PharmCAS has the grades from my PCAT transcript request to Code 022).

Should I worry about this and submit a PCAT transcript request to Code 104 just incase?

The official scores are up now for the July testing window. I sent mine to 104 and I can let you know when they are posted on my application so you can check yours.

I'm guessing if code 022 worked it may work again for Pharmcas, if not you'll probably have to pay $20 to send a PCAT transcript to them. I had to do this with my first PCAT because I did not designate code 104.

Anyone know how long it takes for the fee waiver to be processed? I just e-submitted my application using a waiver and I'm wondering if there's anything else I need to do to process the waiver. Also, why can't I add more schools to my application? (The waiver requires me to apply to one school first then I'm supposed to be able to add more schools.)

Hi guys, I have a quick question.

I am applying Early Decision to one school. However I see some of you guys are applying to numerous schools right now.
I know once I get in to a school through ED, I am not allowed to apply to any other schools. However, right now, am I allowed to apply to one ED school along with other schools for regular decision? And withdraw my other applications once I get into ED?

Thanks

i have ACS certification because i took certain courses at my school. it shows up on my degree progress as well. can i enter this under the certification section? there is no expiration date, so what should i do about that?

Hello all! I just have a quick question.

So I'm trying to add my coursework to PharmCAS at the moment. I'm a bit confused about repeated courses. If I repeated a course, do I list the course twice on PharmCAS? And do I list the second listing as "repeated" or should they both say "repeated"?

Thanks!!!

P.S. Also, 1 more question! So I took some courses at a community college during some summers that were transferred to my current university. Do I just send a transcript from my current university (which includes the courses I took at the community colleges) to PharmCAS or do I need to send individual transcripts from the community colleges as well??

Both courses should be marked as repeated. Check out the application instructions about entering coursework and the answer is there.

You need to send transcripts from ALL universities that you have ever attended. This is mentioned in red in the application in the section for transcripts and coursework and is included multiple times in the instructions as well.

Good luck!

What are you for real? That means I could have sent my application a long time ago! Why am I so stupid, I should have found this out before.
Now I have to start on references and get all this done before next Wednesday, when all the final grades are done. I feel like beating myself in the head right now :bang:

Don't beat yourself in the head, just read the instructions ;)

Nah, there's a lot to read. That's why you ask on SDN, right? Unless your school varies from what seems to be the norm, you're still pretty early in the application cycle. Take a deep breath, it'll all get done. (Now, to take my own advice!)

From what I understand (and someone more experienced please correct me) - just because your PharmCAS application is forwarded to the institution doesn't mean the school thinks it's complete. They probably won't review until the PCAT score and the LoRs come in anyway.

As the director of PharmCAS, I think I qualify as more experienced, right? ;)

You are correct, each school has different requirements of what "complete" means and they are VERY unlikely to review your application until you are complete (in their terms).

i have ACS certification because i took certain courses at my school. it shows up on my degree progress as well. can i enter this under the certification section? there is no expiration date, so what should i do about that?

I'd never heard of ACS certification, so I did a quick google search. It's a certification that says you have enough well-rounded & certified experience & knowledge to be a practical chemist, right? That's totally applicable! As a fellow first-time applicant, if I had that certification, I would list it.

Does PharmCAS require an expiration date? Like, won't let you save if you leave it blank? If so... This is not an official answer, so you may want to wait for someone with more experience or call PharmCAS, but what I'd do is put something like 1/1/2099. I think the adcoms will know the ACS certification doesn't have an expiration date.

Anyone have experience seeing / listing the ACS certification on a PharmCAS application?

I think that by definition any course taken at a community college has to be considered lower level. Anyone that has experience with this issue please correct me if I'm wrong.

You are correct.

In regards to my application being viewed. Will they only look at it once the PCAT scores are in? Should I wait until I take the PCAT is done or should I go ahead and submit it?

Thanks

Go ahead and submit it, just know that the school will only take action on it after it is "Complete" to them, which means that your PCAT scores are in. That way they are comparing all applicants on the same scale.

I have a question relating to PharmCAS. I took the PCAT in October 2010 and I know PharmCAS received my score (I sent it to 104). I was planning on applying last year but decided I wanted to graduate first. So now I am working on my application for this cycle. Will PharmCAS know or find my PCAT scores from last year or do I have to pay the $20 to Pearson for them to send them to PharmCAS again? My PCAT CID is entered into my new application as well. Thank you

If you did not submit and pay for your PharmCAS application last year, you will need to request that Pearson send your scores to PharmCAS again.

Hi guys, I have a quick question.

I am applying Early Decision to one school. However I see some of you guys are applying to numerous schools right now.
I know once I get in to a school through ED, I am not allowed to apply to any other schools. However, right now, am I allowed to apply to one ED school along with other schools for regular decision? And withdraw my other applications once I get into ED?

Thanks

You are only allowed to apply to the one ED school. If you do not get accepted to that school you can apply to other schools regular decision. The system will not allow you to apply ED and regular decision.

Anyone know how long it takes for the fee waiver to be processed? I just e-submitted my application using a waiver and I'm wondering if there's anything else I need to do to process the waiver. Also, why can't I add more schools to my application? (The waiver requires me to apply to one school first then I'm supposed to be able to add more schools.)

Once your waiver has been processed (3 to 4 business days) you will be allowed to add other schools. Did you follow all the instructions sent with your waiver to e-submit, if yes then you are set, if not you will want to go back to the email to double check.

:bow: Oh great Jen Director Of PharmCAS, please enlighten us with your wisdom! :bow:

(PS, thanks for taking the time to respond to questions here!!)

You're funny :)

Thanks - we try to help where we can, but we know we can't always make everyone happy, so it's nice to hear the appreciation.

Check out the application instructions. It details the process that begins after you are offered admission by a participating school.

I'd never heard of ACS certification, so I did a quick google search. It's a certification that says you have enough well-rounded & certified experience & knowledge to be a practical chemist, right? That's totally applicable! As a fellow first-time applicant, if I had that certification, I would list it.

Does PharmCAS require an expiration date? Like, won't let you save if you leave it blank? If so... This is not an official answer, so you may want to wait for someone with more experience or call PharmCAS, but what I'd do is put something like 1/1/2099. I think the adcoms will know the ACS certification doesn't have an expiration date.

Anyone have experience seeing / listing the ACS certification on a PharmCAS application?

Hmmm alright. Oh pharmcas it shows 2015 as the last year for expiration of a certification. And it is a required field.

So I got a mail from one of my schools on Friday saying I didn't pay $4 for them to send my transcript. Early Decision PharmCAS app is due Sept 2 and I was wondering if it's too late now to resend my transcript request form. If I pay $10, I can have the school process and send the transcript within a day, and I guess I could pay for express mailing too if I have to, but even with those, will my transcript get updated on PharmCAS on time?

Thanks.

Last edited: