*~*Official 2011-2012 PharmCAS Thread!*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just an update:

My transcript was finally posted today (8/22). They were received on 8/15. Also, my PCAT scores for the July testing window were also applied to my application.

Members don't see this ad.

Also, my PCAT scores for the July testing window were also applied to my application.

I read your post and ran for PharmCAS. Yep, mine is there too. I had to do a double-take, because they listed the date taken as "July 11" - I was like, but I took it on July 27! Yeah, that's the year. :rolleyes:

It surely be Monday morning.

Am I safe if my transcripts arrived at PharmCAS, but will not be processed before the deadline, or do they have to be processed before the deadline?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a quick question...

Is the pharmcas app sent out right after the GPA is calculated? I'm asking because my pharmcas GPA was calculated today, but one of my LOR's hasn't arrived yet (it will probably be in by tomorrow). It would be convenient if all the LOR's were mailed out at once with the whole "packet"..

I read your post and ran for PharmCAS. Yep, mine is there too. I had to do a double-take, because they listed the date taken as "July 11" - I was like, but I took it on July 27! Yeah, that's the year. :rolleyes:

It surely be Monday morning.

Oh I see now. I thought the same and was a bit freaked out. Silly me.

I have a quick question...

Is the pharmcas app sent out right after the GPA is calculated? I'm asking because my pharmcas GPA was calculated today, but one of my LOR's hasn't arrived yet (it will probably be in by tomorrow). It would be convenient if all the LOR's were mailed out at once with the whole "packet"..

Well, they send them out once a week. Last year it was Mondays. If someone could confirm which day they're sending them this year...

Need some help/conformation here. This is basically the steps i'm taking in this whole process.

1. Sign up for PCAT
2. Fill out PharmCAS application.
3. Request transcript from PharmCAS
4. Give form to my school so they can send out my transcript to the list of schools I am applying to via PharmCAS.
5. After PharmCAS received my transcript and calculated my GPA, i submit my pharmcas (assuming all other sections are completed).
6. Fill out all supplemental forms.

If I follow all these steps everything should go smoothly right? :confused:

Need some help/conformation here. This is basically the steps i'm taking in this whole process.

1. Sign up for PCAT
2. Fill out PharmCAS application.
3. Request transcript from PharmCAS
4. Give form to my school so they can send out my transcript to the list of schools I am applying to via PharmCAS.
5. After PharmCAS received my transcript and calculated my GPA, i submit my pharmcas (assuming all other sections are completed).
6. Fill out all supplemental forms.

If I follow all these steps everything should go smoothly right? :confused:

You forgot to end it with:
???
PROFITS

but other than that it seems complete to me.

For the PCAT scores...
I just read the posts about the July scores showing up today on PharmCAS.
I took it in July but did not list PharmCAS as one of my original four "schools" to send results to, I didn't realize it needed to go directly to PharmCAS, but I have since paid for an extra transcript to be sent to PharmCAS after I took the test.
So does anyone know how much longer this will take for them to get the scores?
*sigh*

And also, once I submit my PharmCAS, will they start processing GPA, etc. right away? I am still waiting on one of my LORs to come back and don't want my ap to get held up (the lady writing it is very disorganized and all over the place...). Will they send to schools once complete or wait for all LORs?

I'm working at a pharmacy and asked my supervisor (who is a pharmacist) to write me a LoR. Is his "primary relationship" with me gonna be pharmacist or supervisor (or something else)?

For the PCAT scores...
I just read the posts about the July scores showing up today on PharmCAS.
I took it in July but did not list PharmCAS as one of my original four "schools" to send results to, I didn't realize it needed to go directly to PharmCAS, but I have since paid for an extra transcript to be sent to PharmCAS after I took the test.
So does anyone know how much longer this will take for them to get the scores?
*sigh*

And also, once I submit my PharmCAS, will they start processing GPA, etc. right away? I am still waiting on one of my LORs to come back and don't want my ap to get held up (the lady writing it is very disorganized and all over the place...). Will they send to schools once complete or wait for all LORs?

I believe PharmCas will start verifying and calculating your GPA once you have e-submitted and paid the fees. Your application will be sent to your desired schools once it has been verified. As for your LOR's, the application will be sent without them. The LOR's will be sent once they arrive. According to PharmCas, anything that comes in after you e-submit will be mailed out on the following Monday. Good luck!

I've submitted my application and I am currently waiting for my PharmCAS GPAs to be calculated...In the GPA Calculations section, is it supposed to say something like "under review"?

I've submitted my application and I am currently waiting for my PharmCAS GPAs to be calculated...In the GPA Calculations section, is it supposed to say something like "under review"?

Mine doesn't, even though I've met all the requirements. It just has this blurb, which didn't change when I e-submitted:
Your GPAs are not yet available. PharmCAS cannot calculate your GPAs until each post-secondary transcript has been received and you have e-submitted your application and paid your application fee. Once your application is complete, it may take up to 5 weeks for your GPA to be calculated.

I'm not going to worry about it - if it'll make you sleep better, shoot 'em an e-mail, though. I may be off base, but it seems like most everything in PharmCAS has to be touched by a person to be updated, with the exception of a couple e-mail triggers (LoRs, I got a background check e-mail when I submitted). I'm imagining that a person has to verify that all the right transcripts have been received, which is why they can't tell you that it's in process automatically.

Some bright sunny day, though, I'll log in & it'll say my GPA and that magical "mailed" next to my school's name. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm working at a pharmacy and asked my supervisor (who is a pharmacist) to write me a LoR. Is his "primary relationship" with me gonna be pharmacist or supervisor (or something else)?

I'd imagine pharmacist is considered a specific type of supervisor. The extent to which a pharmacist supervises a tech can vary though, from a mostly hands-off "you're operating under my license" to a direct "you report to me." A pharmacist is a type of supervisor, but not all supervisors are pharmacists, if you catch my drift. I'm sure he'll specify his more involved management in the LoR (or you could mention it to him, that you didn't get to pick something more specific.).

I'd also put pharmacist because these schools are more interested in seeing that than just a generic work supervisor.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

alot of schools i'm applying to require labs with Microbiology and Physiology. I am taking my prerequisites at the University at Buffalo and we dont need labs with those classes. Does that mean I cant apply to those other schools?

if our school requires background check, do we have to do the background check in order for pharmcas to forward the application?

if our school requires background check, do we have to do the background check in order for pharmcas to forward the application?

The way I read that e-mail, the background check would be completed after you are accepted, it'll just be PharmCAS that processes it. The background check you can do now is if you want to see it.

alot of schools i'm applying to require labs with Microbiology and Physiology. I am taking my prerequisites at the University at Buffalo and we dont need labs with those classes. Does that mean I cant apply to those other schools?

You could apply and have the labs as "planned" classes to take next year in the spring or summer, but then actually only take them if you get interviewed or accepted at the schools that require them.

application has been mailed! :D

have to say pharmcas was extremely fast....

submitted 8/4........GPA calculated 8/16........mailed 8/22

I have turned in one of my transcripts to pharmcas and it was received 8/4. I sent another transcipt from another college I attented. I sent it out on 8/15 but pharmcas still hasn't received it because the date is not up yet. What I am wondering is do they update the second transcript when they receive it? Or do the just calculate the GPA and then mark it as received after GPA is calculated?

I have turned in one of my transcripts to pharmcas and it was received 8/4. I sent another transcipt from another college I attented. I sent it out on 8/15 but pharmcas still hasn't received it because the date is not up yet. What I am wondering is do they update the second transcript when they receive it? Or do the just calculate the GPA and then mark it as received after GPA is calculated?

They should post the date received for all transcripts and won't calculate your GPA until after you e-submit.

It takes them like a week to process your transcript. Just wait for a few more days.

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone who's already applied through Pharmcas could help me on this. So, I know it's kind of late but this monday I sent for my transcripts and PCAT scores to be sent to the pharmcas office. I'm just finishing up my personal statement and will e-submit my application by the end of the week. Do you think its possible for me to make the early decision deadline (Sept 2)? My transcripts haven't come up on Pharmcas yet nor my PCAT score.

From your experience, does it take long for them to process your app before they send it off to your prospective schools? It says on the website 4-5 weeks??!! That would put me at the earliest late Sept, early Oct to get my application in. Is that too late?

It takes them like a week to process your transcript. Just wait for a few more days.

I just checked and that date is posted that they received my transcripts today! I know it says 5 weeks to calculate GPA but at this point of the process should they be able to calculate it in a couple weeks since it shouldn't be as busy as it is later in the process?

I also have another question. I was thinking of taking Spanish I and II in the summer, but it depends. If I get accepted this year then I'll take them in the summer (2012). If I don't get accepted into pharmacy school this year, but I get accepted next year then I'll take it in the summer of 2013. If I don't get any acceptance by 2013 then I'll ditch pharmacy and not take Spanish. That's my plan
tongue.gif

So what should I put on my application? Should I just list them as if I was taking in the summer of 2012 or not list them at all and some how show/tell them I do intend on taking those courses if I gain acceptance in my personal statement or something?

Any idea how long would it take for pharmcas to mail a letter of recommendation that was done via paper and not electronic? My application was sent at Aug 8 and apparently one of my schools still have not received that letter.

I just checked and that date is posted that they received my transcripts today! I know it says 5 weeks to calculate GPA but at this point of the process should they be able to calculate it in a couple weeks since it shouldn't be as busy as it is later in the process?

Once my GPA was calculated it took only 6 days to show "mailed" status. My GPA was done on a tuesday so they had to wait till the following monday to mail out. The longest wait is calculating your GPA after ALL transcripts are received. Make sure everything else is done and e-submit and pay the fees. my total turnaround time from submitting to being mailed was less than 3 weeks

I'm just finishing up my personal statement and will e-submit my application by the end of the week. Do you think its possible for me to make the early decision deadline (Sept 2)? My transcripts haven't come up on Pharmcas yet nor my PCAT score.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I think all of the deadline dates are by when you must have e-submitted your application, not by when the schools actually receive everything from PharmCAS. You can e-submit before your transcripts and PCAT scores are sent into PharmCAS and they will send out your application when everything is complete.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I think all of the deadline dates are by when you must have e-submitted your application, not by when the schools actually receive everything from PharmCAS. You can e-submit before your transcripts and PCAT scores are sent into PharmCAS and they will send out your application when everything is complete.

Correct... It's best to e-submit once you have filled out all your coursework and grades. Pharmcas won't send anything out until they have received everything, and calculated your GPA

I'm a bit confused on how to enter in my coursework credits on pharmcas. I transferred from a community college to a UCI so my credits are listed as credit hours on my community college transcript and as units on my UCI transcript. So as an example one of my bio classes is 5 credit hours at my community college while it is 4 units at UCI. On pharmcas, would I have to convert my UCI bio units to 16 credit hours? and leave my credits hours for the bio class at the community college as 5?

Would it be smart to e-submit my pharmcas application before they received any of the LORs?

I'm a bit confused on how to enter in my coursework credits on pharmcas. I transferred from a community college to a UCI so my credits are listed as credit hours on my community college transcript and as units on my UCI transcript. So as an example one of my bio classes is 5 credit hours at my community college while it is 4 units at UCI. On pharmcas, would I have to convert my UCI bio units to 16 credit hours? and leave my credits hours for the bio class at the community college as 5?

Just leave it as listed on your transcript. Not only is the conversion unnecessary, what you did is incorrect.

FYI, a 16 credit hour course means you're in class for 16 hours per week.

Just leave it as listed on your transcript. Not only is the conversion unnecessary, what you did is incorrect.

FYI, a 16 credit hour course means you're in class for 16 hours per week.

Thanks for the reply! My last question is that I took a 4 week winter intersession class at my community college. I'm not sure to enter this as winter semester or winter unit?

Would it be smart to e-submit my pharmcas application before they received any of the LORs?

have you already listed your LOR's in pharmcas? if you have already listed them, and the emails have been sent to those you have chosen then yes e-submit. pharmcas will not actually mail out your application until everything is received, so if they see you have selected 2 people to write LOR's but havent received the letters, then they wont mail. e-submit as soon as possible. it just slows you down if you wait till everything has been submitted.

Thanks for the reply! My last question is that I took a 4 week winter intersession class at my community college. I'm not sure to enter this as winter semester or winter unit?

i listed mine as a winter semester, there was no issues. if there is an issue pharmcas will just just change it.

have you already listed your LOR's in pharmcas? if you have already listed them, and the emails have been sent to those you have chosen then yes e-submit. pharmcas will not actually mail out your application until everything is received, so if they see you have selected 2 people to write LOR's but havent received the letters, then they wont mail. e-submit as soon as possible. it just slows you down if you wait till everything has been submitted.

This is somewhat incorrect. A completed application for PharmCAS standards is that everything required is filled in on the app itself, all transcripts are received, and the fee is paid. PharmCAS then sends on the application to the school once the GPA is calculated. Any test scores or LoRs received after this point are forwarded to the schools by PharmCAS after they are received.

So what should I put on my application? Should I just list them as if I was taking in the summer of 2012 or not list them at all and some how show/tell them I do intend on taking those courses if I gain acceptance in my personal statement or something?

Is Spanish a prereq for the colleges you're applying to? Are you applying to any that don't have that prereq? If you don't get accepted, I don't think those schools have any say as to whether you take the planned classes or not. However, if you get accepted to a school that doesn't require the classes, it may get more complicated than necessary if you choose not to take the classes you listed in PharmCAS. (They may not care either way, though.)

If I had schools that required & schools that didn't, I'd probably call the schools that require Spanish and ask if it has to be on PharmCAS or if it's OK to submit without as long as you take them prior to matriculation. If so, I'd leave 'em off. Spanish isn't exactly a core requirement like A&P, if ya know what I mean.

If you only have schools that require, I'd leave 'em on & only take 'em if you get accepted. If you only have schools that don't require... why are you taking them? I'm pretty sure if it's not a required prereq & you decide to take it anyway, they just need a transcript (to make sure you didn't, like, torch your GPA or something?).

Is Spanish a prereq for the colleges you're applying to? Are you applying to any that don't have that prereq? If you don't get accepted, I don't think those schools have any say as to whether you take the planned classes or not. However, if you get accepted to a school that doesn't require the classes, it may get more complicated than necessary if you choose not to take the classes you listed in PharmCAS. (They may not care either way, though.)

If I had schools that required & schools that didn't, I'd probably call the schools that require Spanish and ask if it has to be on PharmCAS or if it's OK to submit without as long as you take them prior to matriculation. If so, I'd leave 'em off. Spanish isn't exactly a core requirement like A&P, if ya know what I mean.

If you only have schools that require, I'd leave 'em on & only take 'em if you get accepted. If you only have schools that don't require... why are you taking them? I'm pretty sure if it's not a required prereq & you decide to take it anyway, they just need a transcript (to make sure you didn't, like, torch your GPA or something?).

They're not required. I'm just taking them because a lot of patients are Spanish speakers (I'm a Texan), so I think it might be useful in the long run. I know that pharmacists don't have much patient contact, but it's a dynamic field so who knows what might happen :p

I made a huge, huge mistake. I did not answer the 'immediate and long term goal' question of the Pharmcas personal statement. And I e-submitted.....Is there any way to edit it again? Am I just literally screwed?

I made a huge, huge mistake. I did not answer the 'immediate and long term goal' question of the Pharmcas personal statement. And I e-submitted.....Is there any way to edit it again? Am I just literally screwed?

Unfortunately you cannot edit your personal statement once you have e-submitted :(

I think that part of the question is kind of silly though because if you are applying to pharmacy school and said anything about wanting to be a pharmacist obviously your goal is to be a pharmacist. Adding what you want to do as a pharmacist or what kind of pharmacist is icing on the cake?

Hi, one of my reference found a spelling mistake on her letter of recommendation, but she already submitted it online on pharmcas. Is there anyway she can edit or resubmit it somehow? For example, can I delete her off my reference and then add her again for her to submit again? Thanks.

Last edited:
Unfortunately you cannot edit your personal statement once you have e-submitted :(

I think that part of the question is kind of silly though because if you are applying to pharmacy school and said anything about wanting to be a pharmacist obviously your goal is to be a pharmacist. Adding what you want to do as a pharmacist or what kind of pharmacist is icing on the cake?

I have seen some pretty impressive answers to that question, though I agree with you. My goal is to be a pharmacist and I need the PharmD to do that. Duh.

I have seen some pretty impressive answers to that question, though I agree with you. My goal is to be a pharmacist and I need the PharmD to do that. Duh.

Should I explain these goals in my supplemental? I'm just afraid that they might throw away my application as soon as they read the Pharmcas personal statement first without giving any chance to my supplemental question. Man.. $1000 down the drain.......:(

Some examples would be helpful. :cool:

I am sure they would be, but I made it my policy long ago not to give examples from the PS' that I proofread. It would violate the writer's trust. That said, think of it this way, what do you hope to accomplish as a pharmacist? That is the essence of the question, not "I need a PharmD to be a pharmacist". Another way of asking is, what are your long term goals and how do they include pharmacy? If you explain your goals or ambitions at any point in your essay, you have answered the question. Some people are quite good at this, others not so much.

Should I explain these goals in my supplemental? I'm just afraid that they might throw away my application as soon as they read the Pharmcas personal statement first without giving any chance to my supplemental question. Man.. $1000 down the drain.......:(

Yes. I am sure there is more to this question than that? Why are you afraid of them only reading one essay? I don't understand where you are coming from. (I hate when I end on a preposition but I cannot think of how to change that sentence and it not sound dorky "from where you are coming" :()

Yes. I am sure there is more to this question than that? Why are you afraid of them only reading one essay? I don't understand where you are coming from. (I hate when I end on a preposition but I cannot think of how to change that sentence and it not sound dorky "from where you are coming" :()

Thank you so much for your feedback Owlegrad. If you have any time right now, would you mind giving a quick read to my personal statement to see if I answered the prompt correctly?

Do I include the courses I'm taking this semester? I guess "planned" courses?

Yes

Thank you so much for your feedback Owlegrad. If you have any time right now, would you mind giving a quick read to my personal statement to see if I answered the prompt correctly?

I only proofread on the weekends right now. But sure, you can send it to me, no problem.

I've got a question regarding PharmCAS and early decision.

The deadline is Sept 2, and it's my understanding that I just need to e-submit by then. Is that correct? If so, I have my transcript and scores posted, but I'm still waiting on my last LoR to be submitted. If I e-submit before that last LoR is posted, will I still be on track in terms of early decision? Assuming that LoR gets in within the next week or so.

Thanks for the help!

I've got a question regarding PharmCAS and early decision. The deadline is Sept 2, and it's my understanding that I just need to e-submit by then. Is that correct? If so, I have my transcript and scores posted, but I'm still waiting on my last LoR to be submitted. If I e-submit before that last LoR is posted, will I still be on track in terms of early decision? Assuming that LoR gets in within the next week or so.

Yes, the early decision date is for e-submitting. You will still have a week to a month for LORs to come in while they process your GPA before they send your application to the school.