*~*Official 2011-2012 PharmCAS Thread!*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Quick technical question. A friend of mine is filling in their PharmCAS. They just starting to add in some courses today. However, on the "Add Course" screen she can't get the "Grade as it appears on the transcript" box to enter a grade.
The text box is a bit different from most of the other entry methods in the application in that:
- it's locked so you can't just type in the grade
- it's not a drop down like the PharmCAS conversion grade which is right below it.

You're supposed to just click on the text box or the link below it and it pops open another window that contains the Letter Grade drop down or the Numeric Grade selection. When she selects the Letter Grade from the drop down and click "Save", nothing happens. Since she can't enter a grade in that text box it won't let her save the entire "Add Course" form (thus she essentially can't enter any grades at all).
We tested it on two different machines and 5 different browser versions:
IE8, IE9, Latest version of Chrome, Latest version of FireFox, also even tried it in last version of Netscape.

Same result in each. It would not save the selection from that pop-up window. In IE8, it did show a javascript error saying that the selection from the Letter Grade drop down was invalid. The other versions simply didn't do anything when "Save" was clicked.

By the time we had decided to contact PharmCAS about it, their offices had just closed. So I figured I might just ask here just to see if it's working fine today for everyone else. Since I'm seeing people asking questions about coursework I'm assuming that others are currently adding courses using this form.

Is anyone else having any issues today with the "Grade as it appears on the transcript" box on the "Add Course" screen? If it's working fine for you, do you mind letting me know exactly what browser version you're using? Thx in advance.

Same issue for me!!! It actually worked for me when you posted this, but not working now anymore -_- I hope this will be fixed soon!

Members don't see this ad.

1) I am on a quarter system and have received the dean's list multiple times. Do I only list it only once or multiple times in the honors section because it ask to specify the month and year.

2) Do i list out the title of the course exactly as it appears on my transcript because some of the titles are not complete words. For example, on my transcript it will say "GENERAL MICROBIOL" but obviously the full name should be "general microbiology." So would the course title on pharmcas be what it states on my transcript or what the full name of the course should be.

I saw someone's post earlier about needing a science LOR. Is that true because when I went to each school's information page, none said that. I have been out of school for 1 year and obviously I haven't been in contact with any teachers let alone science professors/TAs. I didn't even know I wanted to study pharmacy until 6 months ago when I started working. All 3 of my recommendations are from pharmacists which I think are very educated and credible sources. Should I bother emailing old professors on the off chance that they might remember me and if they'd write me a LOR? Also does anyone have a direct link to show which schools require which types of requirements? I still have to take 3 classes at community college and maybe I can get them to write me a recommendation but by that time it would be too late right? If they send out applications starting August 1st, why do people worry so much about submitting in June? Thank you to whoever can help me.

Members don't see this ad :)
1) I am on a quarter system and have received the dean's list multiple times. Do I only list it only once or multiple times in the honors section because it ask to specify the month and year.

2) Do i list out the title of the course exactly as it appears on my transcript because some of the titles are not complete words. For example, on my transcript it will say "GENERAL MICROBIOL" but obviously the full name should be "general microbiology." So would the course title on pharmcas be what it states on my transcript or what the full name of the course should be.

Do you have better honors to list? Anyhow, I would list the most recent date and in the description note the number of times and range of date.

Exactly as they appear, even if it's abbreviated.

Last edited:
I saw someone's post earlier about needing a science LOR. Is that true because when I went to each school's information page, none said that. I have been out of school for 1 year and obviously I haven't been in contact with any teachers let alone science professors/TAs. I didn't even know I wanted to study pharmacy until 6 months ago when I started working. All 3 of my recommendations are from pharmacists which I think are very educated and credible sources. Should I bother emailing old professors on the off chance that they might remember me and if they'd write me a LOR? Also does anyone have a direct link to show which schools require which types of requirements? I still have to take 3 classes at community college and maybe I can get them to write me a recommendation but by that time it would be too late right? If they send out applications starting August 1st, why do people worry so much about submitting in June? Thank you to whoever can help me.

For LOR requirements, check PharmCAS: http://www.pharmcas.org/collegesschools/directoryalphastate.htm Select your school for information under the LOR section. For example, UOP requires a LOR from a professor: http://schoolpages.pharmcas.org/publishedsurvey/490#12 Generally, it's a good idea to have a science professor anyway to demonstrate your ability to complete pharmacy school, which unsurprisingly consists of a lot of science courses.

It depends on when you take the courses and when you submit the application.

...because people are insecure about their application? :confused: Their applications will probably get processed and sent out first based on queue position. The further into the cycle, the longer it will take for PharmCAS to do transcript verification and such.

Thanks Project2015, I think I just have to take a chance and apply only to schools that don't require a science professor because even if I went back to ask them, they won't remember me or may not even help me out.

So for the application, the email was sent to all 3 of my evaluators and they are in the process of finishing. I have entered all my information already and entered my PCAT CID, coursework and even finished the transcript work (even though the PCAT won't be sent in until August and the transcript still hasn't showed up as finished) and am just about done selecting schools and finishing my personal statement. Once i finish my PS, can i submit? or do I have to wait for my evaluators to finish and for my transcript to show up before I e submit?

I took my PCAT last june and have my PCAT CID entered into pharmcas under account information and added the test to the test section, but the test score has not come in yet and it has been over a few weeks now. Do I have to call Pearson and pay them to re-send it? or is something else going on?

thanks

I took my PCAT last june and have my PCAT CID entered into pharmcas under account information and added the test to the test section, but the test score has not come in yet and it has been over a few weeks now. Do I have to call Pearson and pay them to re-send it? or is something else going on?

thanks

never mind. just had Pearson re-send it. it sounds like pharmcas only keeps scores for one application cycle.

I took Calculus when I first entered college in 1999 at one school. I left school and took Calculus again to refresh my memory for the PCAT (and so it wouldn't be so out of date for Pharm school admissions) at another school like 8 years later. Would those be considered repeats even though they were at different schools?

Yes.

Thanks Project2015, I think I just have to take a chance and apply only to schools that don't require a science professor because even if I went back to ask them, they won't remember me or may not even help me out.

So for the application, the email was sent to all 3 of my evaluators and they are in the process of finishing. I have entered all my information already and entered my PCAT CID, coursework and even finished the transcript work (even though the PCAT won't be sent in until August and the transcript still hasn't showed up as finished) and am just about done selecting schools and finishing my personal statement. Once i finish my PS, can i submit? or do I have to wait for my evaluators to finish and for my transcript to show up before I e submit?

You do not have to wait to e-submit. Your application will not be processed until your transcripts arrive, but you do not have to wait. See https://portal.pharmcas.org/applicants2012/instruction/pcas_esubmit.htm for more info.

never mind. just had Pearson re-send it. it sounds like pharmcas only keeps scores for one application cycle.

Are you a re-applicant? If you are then the scores roll over, if not, then you need to request again.

Same issue for me!!! It actually worked for me when you posted this, but not working now anymore -_- I hope this will be fixed soon!

It's fixed. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Hey netmag, I'm having the same problem. The save button doesn't work but worked fine for me yesterday! I hope it won't take the whole weekend for it to be fixed.

It's fixed. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have another question also. The transcript that I sent Monday had my courses for next fall on it. Well, I learned friday that one of the classes had changed. Do I need to resend a new transcript or do they verify future course work or should i change it during the academic update in December? Thanks

Change it during Academic Update. We do not verify planned/in progress coursework.

Sorry, I have another question! This is how it looks like on my transcript:

2010 Fall
School A Chemistry
School B Biology
School C Physiology

2011 Spring
School A Biology
School B Physics

------------------------------------------
So on PharmCAS, should I enter it like this:

Session 1, School A, Fall 2010
Session 2, School B, Fall 2010
Session 3, School C, Fall 2010
Session 4, School A, Spring 2011
Session 5, School B, Spring 2011
----------------------------------------

OR, like this:

Session 2, School A, Spring 2011
Session 3, School B, Fall 2010
Session 4, School B, Spring 2011
Session 5, School C, Fall 2010

Thanks!!

Sorry, I have another question! This is how it looks like on my transcript:

2010 Fall
School A Chemistry
School B Biology
School C Physiology

2011 Spring
School A Biology
School B Physics

------------------------------------------
So on PharmCAS, should I enter it like this:

Session 2, School B, Fall 2010
Session 3, School C, Fall 2010
Session 4, School A, Spring 2011
Session 5, School B, Spring 2011
----------------------------------------

OR, like this:

Session 2, School A, Spring 2011
Session 3, School B, Fall 2010
Session 4, School B, Spring 2011
Session 5, School C, Fall 2010

Thanks!!

Sorry nvm, that was a dumb question! PharmCAS list them by schools.

Then this will look a bit different from my transcript.. hope that's OK.

On the transcript request form, there's a section that says "Campus Attended", I'm not sure what to put there?
(I went to Pasadena City College and UC Riverside, and I don't think there's multiple campuses at these schools....)

Thank you :)

Humm, I was thinking, since PharmCAS won't start forwarding our PharmCAS application to our designated schools til Aug. 1, then there's no point of sending the supplemental applications out to any of the schools til August then? Since they need to have the PharmCAS application to start with.... is my logic correct?

On the transcript request form, there's a section that says "Campus Attended", I'm not sure what to put there?
(I went to Pasadena City College and UC Riverside, and I don't think there's multiple campuses at these schools....)

Thank you :)

If there are not multiple campuses then you can leave it blank ;)

Humm, I was thinking, since PharmCAS won't start forwarding our PharmCAS application to our designated schools til Aug. 1, then there's no point of sending the supplemental applications out to any of the schools til August then? Since they need to have the PharmCAS application to start with.... is my logic correct?

You have amazing logic skills ;)

You can submit after filling out the entire application. There is no need to wait for the other components beyond your direct control (i.e., transcripts, scores, and LORs). What do you mean by transcripts showing up? It'll only tell you if it's received or not. PharmCAS won't process them until you eSubmit.

Hey everyone,

I'm working on getting my LORs and I have a question. I need a LOR from an employer, and I was wondering if my supervisor would qualify for that? The employer doesn't know me that well compared to my supervisor who I've worked with a good amount. What do you think? Should the supervisor LOR be enough or should I ask my employer for a LOR?

Thanks!

I volunteered in a pharmacy in the summer of 2009 and I am volunteering again this summer in the same pharmacy. My question is, should I list this activities as separate? If yes, should l list them one after another? Could I also use the same Position Title/Brief Description for both? I also don't know when I would stop volunteering. Should I just leave the End Date of the activity as blank?

Thanks.

Im taking a few extra classes at my comm. college and haven't signed up for them. Should I put them as planned (or will they require proof) or should i just wait until august when i can edit educational info? I want to e-submit tonight...Everything is finished (just waiting on people to finish recs/transcript)

Im taking a few extra classes at my comm. college and haven't signed up for them. Should I put them as planned (or will they require proof) or should i just wait until august when i can edit educational info? I want to e-submit tonight...Everything is finished (just waiting on people to finish recs/transcript)

Planned courses. Update during winter.

Wait so I don't have to print a transcript release form for that? and my application will still be considered complete?

Wait so I don't have to print a transcript release form for that? and my application will still be considered complete?

yes

I have another question also. The transcript that I sent Monday had my courses for next fall on it. Well, I learned friday that one of the classes had changed. Do I need to resend a new transcript or do they verify future course work or should i change it during the academic update in December? Thanks

Change it during Academic Update. We do not verify planned/in progress coursework.

Hey everyone,

I'm working on getting my LORs and I have a question. I need a LOR from an employer, and I was wondering if my supervisor would qualify for that? The employer doesn't know me that well compared to my supervisor who I've worked with a good amount. What do you think? Should the supervisor LOR be enough or should I ask my employer for a LOR?

Thanks!

A supervisor is considered an employer. It does not have to be the owner.

How long does it take for PharmCAS to process the app after e-submitting? The early decision due date for UK is September 2nd. I was always under the impression that the processing would be instantaneous and that I would be able to wait till September 1st at 11:59 pm to submit if I really wanted to

Processing is not instantaneous. It will take days early in the cycle and weeks (up to 5) later on. PharmCAS will not begin to mail out applications until August 1. Generally (not sure about UK ED in particular), it's the date you esubmit that matters, not when PharmCAS finishes mailing it out.

I thought after I e-submit, under "supplemental materials" I can see all the supplemental materials for the schools I applied to? But so far for all my schools, it says no information available for that school. So i'm just wondering what is really this "supplemental materials" mean?

I attended several classes at local community colleges. It's one school district, but with four several colleges. When I enter that into the PharmCAS, it has a transcript request form for each of the colleges I attended, but the entire district issues one transcript. What should I do in this case? Should I give all four transcript request form to the cashier when requesting transcript?
As long as they have all the schools attachments in that one transcript, it should be fine.

I have 2 letters of reference completed and for some reason I had the understanding that was the minimum required. When I look under their school page under "Number of LORs you accept" it says 3. Is that the maximum amount they will accept, or it is required to have 3? I know the pharmcas max is 4... so I guess the wording under the school page is confusing me.

I have 2 letters of reference completed and for some reason I had the understanding that was the minimum required. When I look under their school page under "Number of LORs you accept" it says 3. Is that the maximum amount they will accept, or it is required to have 3? I know the pharmcas max is 4... so I guess the wording under the school page is confusing me.

It depends on the school. I would check the school website or contact them. I feel like the minimum is 3 if the school says they accept 3 LORs.

I thought after I e-submit, under "supplemental materials" I can see all the supplemental materials for the schools I applied to? But so far for all my schools, it says no information available for that school. So i'm just wondering what is really this "supplemental materials" mean?

It's just a place to keep track of the status of your supplemental application, assuming that the school participates in the system. You need to check each school's admission website for details on the supplemental application process and forms.

Hi,
For my physics classes there is a lab portion that goes it with, however the lab and the lecture are two separate classes taught by different professors. So on PharmCAS in the course type, do i choose the just lecture choice or should i put lecture and lab combined option?

Thanks

Hi,
For my physics classes there is a lab portion that goes it with, however the lab and the lecture are two separate classes taught by different professors. So on PharmCAS in the course type, do i choose the just lecture choice or should i put lecture and lab combined option?

Thanks

What does your transcript say? Is it one course or two courses? If one, then it's Lecture+Lab. If two, one's lecture and the other is lab.

Updating Application:
I want to send in my application ASAP for rolling schools. However I m taking my PCAT in July and classes this fall. I heard you can only update your application once, is this true? So if I send it to 2 schools in July and then update it and send it to more schools later on will Pharmcas allow me to do that or will I have to send them all at once?
THANKS!

Updating Application:
I want to send in my application ASAP for rolling schools. However I m taking my PCAT in July and classes this fall. I heard you can only update your application once, is this true? So if I send it to 2 schools in July and then update it and send it to more schools later on will Pharmcas allow me to do that or will I have to send them all at once?
THANKS!

One update in late December for fall grades and planned courses. You can request PharmCAS to send it to more schools on separate occasions.

You are a transfer because you were not a student with direct entry from High School to their program. They have a 0-6 program too. You will be required to fill out their supplemental and you found the right one. :)
My understanding is that MCPHS- Worcester is not a 0-6 program. The Boston campus on the other hand would be a 0-6 if that is what you are referring to? I know that you can only apply to one location and maybe this has to do with the specific supplemental but I am pretty positive MCPHS- Worcester is only a 2-3 program.

For those from a UC, is the number of credit hours just the number of units? For example, a 4 unit class = 4 credit hours? (This is what my advisor told me but other people told me something different so now I'm confused :/)

Thanks guys !

For those from a UC, is the number of credit hours just the number of units? For example, a 4 unit class = 4 credit hours? (This is what my advisor told me but other people told me something different so now I'm confused :/)

Thanks guys !

Correct.

It's just a place to keep track of the status of your supplemental application, assuming that the school participates in the system. You need to check each school's admission website for details on the supplemental application process and forms.

Since the first mailing doesn't go out until August 1, schools that participate in the supplemental status tool won't be exporting info into this section until after August 1.

My understanding is that MCPHS- Worcester is not a 0-6 program. The Boston campus on the other hand would be a 0-6 if that is what you are referring to? I know that you can only apply to one location and maybe this has to do with the specific supplemental but I am pretty positive MCPHS- Worcester is only a 2-3 program.

You are correct. There are 3 programs for MCP and you did not specify in your previous post. If you did not attend the Worcester campus previously then you are considered a transfer student.

I'm just wondering, are we going to receive an email once our PharmCAS GPA has been calculated?

I submitted mine like two weeks ago.. still waiting hehehe

Hello y'all.

What course subject would biophysical chemistry apply to? inorganic chemistry or biochemistry?

I know that chemistry majors take physical chemistry and thats under the inorganic chemistry course subject.

Biochem majors have to take biophysical chemistry, but its not listed. I'm thinking I should place it under biochemistry...

Hi! I'm not sure if anyone has asked this:

I am taking community college classes starting this fall (I just graduated with my B.S), because I wanted to retake classes to better my GPA.

Should I add the community college under "schools attended" even though I haven't attended yet?

Thank you in advance!! :)

Hi! I'm not sure if anyone has asked this:

I am taking community college classes starting this fall (I just graduated with my B.S), because I wanted to retake classes to better my GPA.

Should I add the community college under "schools attended" even though I haven't attended yet?

Thank you in advance!! :)

Yes. That way you can enter planned courses for that school.