About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*~*Official 2011-2012 PharmCAS Thread!*~*

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by delano2000, May 20, 2011.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. xtsukiyox

xtsukiyox Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    While PharmCAS doesn't verify volunteer experience (it's on the honors system), it does have a place for total hours volunteered when you enter the experience. (PS, I read the thing about verification of volunteer experiences on SDN. The school may or may not verify independently.)

I sure hope you don't have to get paid for pharmacy experience, because I'm not. The bank pays my checks, the medication room gets worked for free. :p I also see a lot of people saying they shadowed a pharmacist for X hours and that's their pharmacy experience.
  2. xtsukiyox

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Nah, there's a lot to read. That's why you ask on SDN, right? Unless your school varies from what seems to be the norm, you're still pretty early in the application cycle. Take a deep breath, it'll all get done. (Now, to take my own advice!)

From what I understand (and someone more experienced please correct me) - just because your PharmCAS application is forwarded to the institution doesn't mean the school thinks it's complete. They probably won't review until the PCAT score and the LoRs come in anyway.
  3. xNeenax

xNeenax Delano's Minion

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Right. That's true. Now to go back in my little corner and relax lol ;)
    I think I am beginning to hit the moment where I freak out at any little thing.
    Thanks.
  4. xtsukiyox

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Me too! Even though I keep telling myself that it's a case of hurry up & wait. I don't even know what I'm going to be like in 3 months after all this excited waiting. :laugh:
  5. angeleyesoasis

angeleyesoasis

SDN 2+ Year Member
    I don't have many Awards to list ....kinda worried..

all i have rite now is being on the dean's list...

i can also list a perfect attendance award that i got for a club...should i add it?

is 2 better than one?
  6. xNeenax

xNeenax Delano's Minion

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Ok so at my university I attend Microbiology (BIOL 3v20) is an upper level course, however it's very hard to get in due to a small class size, so I'm going to take in at a local community college. It's called BIOL 2421 at the community college. Is this considered an upper level course or a lower level course on PharmCAS?
  7. R2pharmD2

R2pharmD2 Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacy Student
    I think that by definition any course taken at a community college has to be considered lower level. Anyone that has experience with this issue please correct me if I'm wrong.
  8. xtsukiyox

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I would like to see someone with experience in this issue answer as well. I have, uh, almost a bachelors at CC. :rolleyes: I seem to remember reading something to this effect, though, R2pharmD2.

Shoot, do I have to resort to calling PharmCAS? :p
  9. R2pharmD2

Pharmacy Student
    Hey, they're surely going to give you a more dependable answer than anyone here can :laugh:
  10. xtsukiyox

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    So, the medical director who is going to write me an LoR already was trying to get into the system today. He said when he logged in, a pop-up showed up saying he was logged out and referring him to the log in page, whereupon he would log in, just to see the pop-up... ad nauseum.

Has anyone experienced this problem, or might know what causes it / how to fix?
    - I know he has cookies enabled (able to get into another application program)
    - I know PharmCAS.com is functionally able to be reached from their computers (I logged into my app from there on Monday night :p)
    - I had to delete his info & reenter due to a problem with the phone number (he has an extension). This triggered two PharmCAS e-mails. :mad: Relevant? (I hope not, both my references were in the same boat.)

I'm thrilled he is able & willing to write so soon. I'd rather not go the mail route... I have an e-mail in to PharmCAS (and will call tomorrow when they're open), but I figured I'd throw it to the hive mind as well.
  11. amhong

amhong

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hello,

I'm in the process of doing my supplemental applications but PharmCas has not calculated my GPA yet.

I am really confused on how to calculate GPAs. I went to UC Irvine and they go by a Quarter Unit System.

Does this mean I must multiply the unit by .667?

In the FAQs it says you do that with quarter hours, but I wasn't sure if this was the same.

For example:
    4 unit class A- would the calculation be
    4 x .667 = 2.668
    2.668 x 3.7 = 9.8716

Is this how it would be done? Or is the .667 not necessary since it was technically a unit?

Any insight would be great, because I need to calculate my GPA for my supplemental.

Thanks so much!
  12. stzpharm01

stzpharm01

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hi,

I was wondering if the weekly hours in the EC and Work Experience section are supposed to be roughly the total amount of hours divided into the total weeks during your association with the organization or the approximate amount of hours spent on each week you participated?

Thanks!!
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  13. Project2015

Project2015

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    What kind of GPA does your supplemental application require?

If you only have quarter units, no conversions are necessary.
  14. amhong

amhong

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hello!

It does not specify. It just says cumulative undergraduate GPA. I wanted it to match with my Pharmcas GPA.

So Pharmcas does not convert quarter units?

Thanks so much for your help!
  15. VegasPartier

VegasPartier

Pre-Pharmacy
    I don't have that many awards from college..but I have a ton from high school.....would it seem okay to include those awards from high school?
  16. xtsukiyox

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    The awards are meant to be stuff a professional school might be interested in. I listed a merit scholarship from 2003, but it's at a college level. I did list high school volunteer experience, though, because I think it shows a long history of service & leadership - but I listed it flat at the bottom, and had other items above it from more recent.

The answer would depend on what else you have, and the caliber of those high school awards... How far out of high school are you? Are we talking like "Dean's List" or are we talking "Most Improved in Algebra"?
  17. xtsukiyox

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    OK - So I called PharmCAS! The "official" answer is... It depends! :laugh:

In general, all community college classes should be listed as freshman & sophomore since they are 2-year colleges. Even if there are 11 term entries as a sophomore, like on mine... :rolleyes:

However, PharmCAS as part of their verification will look at the official transcript, and apparently on the back it usually explains whether the community college allows you to be considered a "junior" or "senior" status at their school, based on credits. If the community college allows the higher status, PharmCAS will adjust appropriately.

I did clarify that if they do change the status, it won't reflect poorly (it's not considered in the same class as "bad" corrections like if you omit a class or put in the wrong grade).

Officially official answer is official, but only conditionally helpful.

BTW, I've called PharmCAS twice this morning (once about the technical problem and once about this issue) and both times the wait was surprisingly short. They announce what rank you are in the phone queue too, which is refreshing.
  18. xtsukiyox

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    It would make sense to me (and tell a more accurate accounting of your time there) if you put the average hours you worked on weeks you were there. This would especially make sense for like summer positions you held for multiple years where you only worked 9 weeks each year or something but you worked 25 hours a week.

I doubt they're going to look at the time you put, multiply the weeks, then multiply by your average and call shenanigans when it doesn't mathematically work out. ;)

I had to take the opposite approach on three of my volunteer items - I have no way of knowing exactly how much time was spent, but I have a pretty good idea of how many weeks out of the year I worked and how much time during those weeks I worked. So my "total hours" number for these entries is simple multiplication.
  19. xtsukiyox

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    From a quick google search, yes, it looks like quarter hours / quarter units are interchangeable terms. Do a quick reality check: My semester hour college had me take 2 semesters covering Gen Chem I & II (with lab) at 4 hours a piece. So, that would be 8 semester hours. How many "converted" semester hours was yours worth - is it close?

GPA is "grade point average." That is, you're going to take the average of each of your scores. As long as your units are all the same, you shouldn't have to convert (PharmCAS does so your prospective colleges can determine if you've met their prereqs by comparing apples to apples). There can be specific types of GPAs (like your science GPA versus your cumulative GPA). In this case, since it's your "cumulative undergrad GPA," it would be for ALL classes (including humanities and such) you took, since I"m guessing you haven't done any graduate school work yet.

Take what your grade was worth (you use 3.7 for an A-) times how many units the class was worth (your example was worth 4), then divide by the total number of units attempted for all the classes included in the average.

Here is an example based on a semester from my transcript:
    Principles of Computer Science (Java) - Grade A, 3 credits
    Mythology - Grade A, 3 credits
    Analytic Geometry & Calculus I - Grade B, 5 credits
    American Sign Language II - Grade W, 4 credits
    Introduction to Sociology - Grade A, 3 credits

Grade values: 4.0 for A, 3.0 for B, do not count W classes for GPA (do not add credit hours to "total")

My calculation would be:
    (4.0 grade point*3 credits + 4.0 grade point*3 credits + 3.0 grade point*5 credits + 4.0 grade point*3 credits) / (3 credits + 3 credits + 5 credits + 3 credits) = (12 + 12 + 15 + 12) / 14 = 51 grade point*credits/14 credits = 3.64 semester GPA

I included the units in case it helps to conceptualize like a physics or chemistry problem. :p As you can see, the "unit" or "hour" measurement cancels out, so I would certainly not convert then convert back just for your supplemental.
  20. xtsukiyox

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    While my post above is what I heard from a gal at PharmCAS itself, I should learn to read a little closer. :p

Page 25 of the Instruction booklet:
    "Assign Lower-division (Fr/So) status to courses completed at a junior or community college (e.g., associate degree course work)."

I guess the only ambiguity that I cleared up is if for some reason you have upper-division classwork completed at a community college (like in partnership with a 4-year or soemthing?).
  21. MiSSprepharm

MiSSprepharm

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I took an Introduction to Research course and I'm not sure which course subject to put it under because it's not directed towards a particular subject. Would "other science" be ok?
  22. moose pharm

moose pharm

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Is there anyway to edit the order of extracurricular in order of importance to you? It's a pain cause I don't want to redo many of them just to add one more that is a little more important to me than others.
  23. Project2015

Project2015

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Nope, gotta delete them all and redo it.
  24. DriftaX

DriftaX

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    In regards to my application being viewed. Will they only look at it once the PCAT scores are in? Should I wait until I take the PCAT is done or should I go ahead and submit it?

Thanks
  25. amhong

amhong

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thanks so much for responding. I emailed the counselor at USC and she said I need to use the Pharmcas rules for calculating GPA. When I do the .667 and when I just do it regularly, the two GPAs are different. I'm using excel as a spreadsheet so I don't screw up with errors.

Well 4 units at a quarter system is strange. We would have 3 hours lecture and varying hours of discussion. So I'm not sure about the reality check aspect of it. Sometimes it coincides, sometimes it does not :-\

Any insight would be really helpful, thank you!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  26. xtsukiyox

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    At this point, without seeing what you're doing (or what you're trying to calculate), I'm not sure what to suggest.

I meant to specifically compare the converted number of units they made you take to cover General Chemistry I & II (one year's worth) with what I had to take to see if they're similar. IIRC, most colleges require one year of Gen Chem as a prerequisite for pharmacy. How many units was it worth for you? Converting backwards at the rate of 0.667 units per semester hour, I get that 8 semester hours are worth about 12 units. The reason I'm suggesting checking is to make sure the conversion is in the right ballpark.
  27. stzpharm01

stzpharm01

Pre-Pharmacy
    Thanks xtsukiyox!

That made more sense to me as well. I've had to take both approaches, for work it's been so long, and my hours are all over the place. During holidays, I'd sometimes work 60 hours and every semester varied from 5 hours to 35-40 hours a week. :confused: On the other hand, I clock in to record volunteering hours. Your input was very helpful though. :)
  28. stzpharm01

stzpharm01

Pre-Pharmacy
    I know the question has been answered whether or not to write in complete sentences when describing tasks delegated in activities and work, which I've done for some of the EC; although some activities' descriptions reach the maximum allotted characters, even when abbreviating.

Is it recommended to write in complete sentences when possible or be consistent with the syntax of the descriptions and abbreviate everything?

Thank you!!
  29. xtsukiyox

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Well, my statistics teacher told me "average" could be a mean, median, or mode. :p

If you're still not sure about your entry, you may want to call PharmCAS - they're actually very quick to get through, at least they were when I called. Take my advice with a grain of salt, since I'm also a first-time applicant. ;)

Oh, by the way, I did get an answer to my technical issue up-thread, so I figured I'll post an update. PharmCAS said the most common causes were:
    1) Incorrect password, usually resulting from an extra space at the end.
    2) Cookies disabled

I called them to get the answer, but their e-mail ([email protected]) bounced. Huh.
  30. xtsukiyox

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    As a fellow applicant, I can tell you what I did. I don't know what the officially official correct answer is though. I did not abbreviate any words, but I did not write complete sentences. The ampersand was my friend, though. Example (I just made it up, not directly from my application):

Student Tutor: assist struggling students with general study skills and specific course work in Math, English, & Chemistry; responsible for meeting time and performance increase goals.

The only time I feel it would be appropriate to abbreviate a word is if it's a very common acronym that any person at a pharmacy college would know - on the order of PCAT, PharmCAS, SAT, pharm tech (I probably wouldn't do this one), PTCB, something like that. I might use an acronym in my PS if I had defined it earlier in the text. It is a bad idea to put something in that may not be understood by the reader - either they're just going to disregard, or they're going to become disengaged.

It's a drag that Word doesn't count the characters the same as PharmCAS. Also, apparently PharmCAS has an inconsistent hate of semicolons. :rolleyes:
  31. stzpharm01

stzpharm01

Pre-Pharmacy

Thank you, xtsukiyox for taking the time to tell me your approach. I guess it could be incorrect to call it abbreviating, but I'm glad you answered in regards to not using complete sentences.
    Your example is exactly how I approached it as well, I just saw a previous post saying it'd be more professional to use complete sentences and became doubtful of method. It's helpful to know what other applicants are doing too. Thank you!

:)
  32. stzpharm01

stzpharm01

Pre-Pharmacy

Yeah, I'll go ahead and call them as well.

I hope you have your question answered. I also had a hard time with references. The pharmacy manager writing me mine said it was closed and the icon to resend it had erased. I called PharmCAS, and they sent duplicates to him also, but he was able to open it and begin. I don't think the duplicates are relevant, as long as your application only shows his letter once and if it's in progress, completed, etc.

I'm glad you got through, but I think the email is [email protected] (org instead of com) just to clear your head of the riddle. :p
  33. xNeenax

xNeenax Delano's Minion

SDN 2+ Year Member
    xtsukiyox totally owns this thread :bow::bow::bow:

EDIT: xtsukiyox, JenAthay, Project2015 & R2pharmD2 totally owns this thread
    :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:
  34. xtsukiyox

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Well, THAT would explain why gmail is unhappy at me right now, wouldn't it!

Haha, thanks, although I think I'm going to have to wrest the deed from Project2015 or R2pharmD2 (or someone else I'm bound to leave out here)... Us "double x" folks gotta stick together though, right? ;)
  35. R2pharmD2

Pharmacy Student
    Sweet! Never owned a thread before!

(Although I probably don't deserve such praise; I don't post here all that often.)
  36. owlegrad

owlegrad Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine Staff Member Administrator SDN Senior Moderator

Pharmacist
    Pharmacist SDN Published Author SDN 5+ Year Member
    I could fix that you know. How about "WAMC: Brought to you by R2PharmD2"? Let me know what you think.
  37. R2pharmD2

Pharmacy Student
    I'm afraid I couldn't handle that. I working on my PS backlog as we speak :laugh:
  38. angeleyesoasis

angeleyesoasis

SDN 2+ Year Member
    I have several awards from high school...

they include an AP CollegeBoard Scholar Award, California Scholarship Award...should i include them?

they are all from high school...and i didn't really receive any awards during colllege...would adding these be better than just leaving it blank?
  39. Ayuka001

Ayuka001

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Hi guys. I'm confused on western's prereq requirements. On the website it says I need to take 2 semester of biochem (I'm on the quarter system btw). And it lists these classes will fulfill the requirement:
    BCH 110A & 110B & 110C, 107A or 107B
    So I have to take the whole 110 series plus an additional 107 class? Or will the 107 alone fulfill the requirement?

Thanks!!
  40. R2pharmD2

Pharmacy Student
    I would leave it blank. I don't think awards received in high school are relevant at this point.

I think you're a bit lost. This is the PharmCAS questions thread. Your best bet here is emailing the school with your question though.
  41. Project2015

Project2015

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    More or less this based on the info you presented:

Items from high school should be added as an exception. Here are the only cases that I would consider high school awards:

(1) Your duration of time in college is very short (e.g, you're going straight from minimum pre-reqs to pharmacy, so high school stuff is only 2-4 years old).

(2) The awards from high school were very extraordinary.

(3) This one is iffy but some people believe that if it was a precursor to a more recent and relevant achievement, listing older items demonstrate a history of excellence.
  42. xNeenax

xNeenax Delano's Minion

SDN 2+ Year Member
    how long does it usually take for PCAT scores to come in???
  43. tylenol500

tylenol500

I don't know if this question has already been asked but does anyone know what kinds of things to include in the "Publications" section of PharmCas? Is it only things thats you have written for a newspaper or company? I haven't written anything major like that and can't imagine a lot of ppl have, wasnt sure if its bad to leave blank...
  44. tylenol500

tylenol500

It's computerized now so you should get your score right away. You will also get an official score which includes your essay score in the mail. They say it takes approx 5 to 6 weeks but I would imagine it take a shorter time since all they would have to grade is the essay :)
  45. xNeenax

xNeenax Delano's Minion

SDN 2+ Year Member

ok so it takes 5 to 6 weeks for pharmcas to get the scores
  46. xNeenax

xNeenax Delano's Minion

SDN 2+ Year Member

I know some people who are in research groups and they sometimes publish research essays.
  47. tylenol500

tylenol500

hmmm, i know you get mailed your actual scores in that time but I'm not sure how long it takes PharmCAS to get it...I would imagine that they would send them at the same time tho....
  48. VegasPartier

VegasPartier

Pre-Pharmacy
    I have several extracurricular activities that I participated on during the duration of my college career

...things like Relay for life, volunteering at the local soup kitchen....

I planned on putting this stuff down......but will pharmacy schools verify that we did these things? since i did these activities through my club, i don't have OFFICIAL documentation of performing these activities....

...so i'm kinda worried.....how often do pharmacy schools verify every extracurricular activity that you did?
  49. tylenol500

tylenol500

I doubt they will verify it because most type of work like that can't be verified. I did a lot of volunteer work they can't be verified either. All they will probably do is ask you questions about it to make sure you didn't make it up
  50. sinoirilax

sinoirilax

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Im in a sticky situation. All the California schools that I am applying to go through rolling admissions. I still haven't done any of the supps and the deadlines nov. 1. Should I attempt to finish everything within a few days to send it in or wait till next year? I feel like i am very late in this admissions process...