Official 2012-2013 Heme/Onc fellowship application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wanted to get some thoughts on my rank list; interested in academics, focusing on cancer genomics and outcomes research.

1. Uchicago
2. Mt. Sinai
3. Fox Chase
4. NYU
5. Tufts
6. Baystate
7. LIJ

Nothing wrong with your list as it is (although I'd personally put NSLIJ above both Tufts and Baystate), although none of those places are particularly strong in genomics, cancer or otherwise.

Members don't see this ad.

I encountered a lot of applicants this year who said they were...
interested in academics, focusing on cancer genomics and outcomes research
...but when asked what they meant by that, couldn't articulate a cogent research outline or career trajectory. While it's OK to not have the details completely nailed down at this point, if you're going to throw around buzzwords like these, you need to have a pretty good idea of what they mean and how you can fit them into your training.

At our rank list meeting yesterday, this actually dropped some people down in the list because it made them look like they were just playing the game and not actually committed to (or even all that interested in) it.

Just some food for thought (although admittedly a bit late for the interview process).

Would appreciate any inputs about the rank list. Interested in academics, currently undecided about solids versus Heme, like them both.

Fred Hutch
OSU
Mayo Rochester
UMich
UIowa
Cleveland clinic
U of Colorado
UMiami

Specifically, due to personal reasons may have to consider moving UIowa to the top. Would that be completely insane?

Thanks !

Members don't see this ad :)
would appreciate your input about this list

1. Mount sinai
2. NYU
3. Univ of Maryland
4. Baylor
5. BU
6. LIJ
7. MUSC
8. Cooper Univ
9. Univ of Vermont
10. Univ of Missouri at Columbia
11. Newark Beth Isreal - Newark
12. St Elizabeth- Boston

Would appreciate any inputs about the rank list. Interested in academics, currently undecided about solids versus Heme, like them both.

Fred Hutch
OSU
Mayo Rochester
UMich
UIowa
Cleveland clinic
U of Colorado
UMiami

I'd personally put both UMich and Colorado higher than Mayo (maybe even above OSU and definitely above Iowa and CCF) but I don't see any major flaws in your list.

Specifically, due to personal reasons may have to consider moving UIowa to the top. Would that be completely insane?
I've seen people do dumber things. Not many though.

would appreciate your input about this list

1. Mount sinai
2. NYU
3. Univ of Maryland
4. Baylor
5. BU
6. LIJ
7. MUSC
8. Cooper Univ
9. Univ of Vermont
12. St Elizabeth- Boston

Looks fine. I'd probably put Mizzou up a little higher but otherwise no real issues.

I'd personally put both UMich and Colorado higher than Mayo (maybe even above OSU and definitely above Iowa and CCF) but I don't see any major flaws in your list.

I've seen people do dumber things. Not many though.

Thanks GutOnc! Curious about your not so good opinion about Mayo...

GutOnc and anyone else please comment

Interested in academics in thrombosis and hematology

1. Univ of Rochester (NY )
2. ohio state
3. roswell park
4. VCU
5. Thomas Jeff
6. Maryland

With a list like that I don't think you really need to worry about the middle or bottom of your list. That said, the advantages of a place like NCI or Columbia over some place like Jeff or Maryland is going to be in the research/mentoring/recommendation setting, not necessarily the clinical training. So if you liked Maryland that much better than Columbia, rank it higher.

Thank you. These are my thoughts exactly and those are pretty important to me going forward with fellowship. Think I'll bump up Columbia but can't convince myself about the NCI though. Less than 1 month to go.... good luck all

is it better to rank an NCC designated program over one that isnt, if one is training to be a clinician and not an academic? geography is important and the NCC designated program is outside the state of my choice.

is it better to rank an NCC designated program over one that isnt, if one is training to be a clinician and not an academic? geography is important and the NCC designated program is outside the state of my choice.

Do you mean NCCN OR NCI?

I've commented on this before.

The NCI designations are largely based on things that will have absolutely no influence on your clinical training like survivorship and outpatient and family housing options. Don't get too hung up on this as there are excellent programs at all levels of the NCI cancer center hierarchy.
NCCN designation OTOH suggests a critical mass of cancer experts at that institution.

Thanks for replying. NCCN (UNMC). Perused through your previous posts, as u indicated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I need some help with my ROL. I am interested in benign and malignant heme. Thank you.
1. UPMC
2. North shore LIJ
3. Tufts
4. UVA
5. MUSC
6. WSU
7. UF
8. Wake forest
9. Lenox hill
10. UVM
11. Uconn

Hello, I need some help with my ROL. I am interested in benign and malignant heme. Thank you.
1. UPMC
2. North shore LIJ
3. Tufts
4. UVA
5. MUSC
6. WSU
7. UF
8. Wake forest
9. Lenox hill
10. UVM
11. Uconn

I actually think you'll get better heme experience at NSLIJHAOIFOSCVN;LSDKVN (or whatever they're calling that place these days)...I mean...Kanti Rai...c'mon man.

But other than swapping UVA and Tufts I can't argue with that list.

Another rank list looking for input:

1)2) Fox Chase vs Jefferson. Need some help on this one.
3) UMaryland
4) Monte
5) UCLA OV-Cedars
6) Cooper

Maybe academics, but most likely headed to practice. I have bills to pay!

I actually think you'll get better heme experience at NSLIJHAOIFOSCVN;LSDKVN (or whatever they're calling that place these days)...I mean...Kanti Rai...c'mon man.

But other than swapping UVA and Tufts I can't argue with that list.
Thank you gutonc!

Difficult to list the following programs. In term of future job hunting, what adjustment should I make? Would appreciate your opinion. IMG, good reseach background, want to pursue an academic path.

Columbia (busy clinical work, good for research)
Cleveland clinic (research seems weak)
UPMC (good reseach, busy clinical work, vs Columbia?)
Jefferson (both research and clinical not bad, better than Penn State?)
Penn State/ Hershey (both research and clinical seem OK, not NCI designated)
Baylor (extremely busy, ?)

Thanks.

Difficult to list the following programs. In term of future job hunting, what adjustment should I make? Would appreciate your opinion. IMG, good reseach background, want to pursue an academic path.

Columbia (busy clinical work, good for research)
Cleveland clinic (research seems weak)
UPMC (good reseach, busy clinical work, vs Columbia?)
Jefferson (both research and clinical not bad, better than Penn State?)
Penn State/ Hershey (both research and clinical seem OK, not NCI designated)
Baylor (extremely busy, ?)

Thanks.

From a "future" standpoint:
Columbia
UPMC
Baylor
Jeff
Penn State
CCF

I'd personally swap UPMC and columbia on that list (and leave Baylor off completely but that's because I can't stand TX, not for any reason related to the program) but it's not my list.

From a "future" standpoint:
Columbia
UPMC
Baylor
Jeff
Penn State
CCF

I'd personally swap UPMC and columbia on that list (and leave Baylor off completely but that's because I can't stand TX, not for any reason related to the program) but it's not my list.

Thank you very much. Curious why CCF falling behind, any inside information?

Has anyone been contacted by a program regarding your status? Love letters or phone calls saying you are their top choice?

Looks fine. I'd probably put Mizzou up a little higher but otherwise no real issues.

thank you for your input, gutonc. can I ask you two more questions?
I am interested in malignant heme, should I swap BU and LIJ?
I also went to Baylor University Medical Center and Ochsner Clinic Foundation. Both are oncology only program. Should I list them the bottom of my list although I think the oncology training might be better than some of the combine programs?

below is my list:
1. Mount sinai
2. NYU
3. Univ of Maryland
4. Baylor
5. BU
6. LIJ
7. MUSC
8. Cooper Univ*
9. Univ of Vermont
12. St Elizabeth- Boston

I am a PGY-3, interested in malignant heme/BMT. Below is my rank list. Any suggestion?

1. Cleveland Clinic
2. Columbia University
3. Washington University at St Louis
4. Fox Chase
5. UPMC
6. NYU
7. North Shore / LIJ
8. Suny Downstate

Has anyone been contacted by a program regarding your status? Love letters or phone calls saying you are their top choice?

Got an email this week from UChicago saying I was one of their "top applicants" whatever thats worth, nothing directly stated about being ranked highly.

Got an email this week from UChicago saying I was one of their "top applicants" whatever thats worth, nothing directly stated about being ranked highly.

I have had phone calls from division chiefs and program directors at three programs, and emails from a couple of others saying that I am ranked to match/at the top of their list etc. No contact from some other programs.

Has anyone received any love letters/ranked to match emails/calls from MSKCC?

I am a PGY-3, interested in malignant heme/BMT. Below is my rank list. Any suggestion?

1. Cleveland Clinic
2. Columbia University
3. Washington University at St Louis
4. Fox Chase
5. UPMC
6. NYU
7. North Shore / LIJ
8. Suny Downstate

Are you drunk? CCF above WUSTL, UPMC, Columbia and Fox Chase?

Put CCF down there between NSLIJ and Downstate (or between NYU and NSLIJ if you really like Cleveland) and your list looks good.

Also, WUSTL should be above Columbia, especially if you're Heme Mal focused.

thank you for your input, gutonc. can I ask you two more questions?
I am interested in malignant heme, should I swap BU and LIJ?
I also went to Baylor University Medical Center and Ochsner Clinic Foundation. Both are oncology only program. Should I list them the bottom of my list although I think the oncology training might be better than some of the combine programs?

below is my list:
1. Mount sinai
2. NYU
3. Univ of Maryland
4. Baylor
5. BU
6. LIJ
7. MUSC
8. Cooper Univ*
9. Univ of Vermont
12. St Elizabeth- Boston

Re: BU and LIJ, the programs are so different (private suburban hospitals vs. down and dirty county in a huge city) it's hard to compare them directly. Rank them the way you liked them.

Re: BUMC and Ochsner. You already put Baylor on your list. And I don't know anything about Ochsner (other than, if I had to live in the South, NOLA is the only place I'd want to live) but I imagine it's better than not matching. And it's certainly better than Newark BI...that joint is a craphole. Also, don't get too hung up on the "heme" and "onc" issues. I did "onc" only and still did 5 months of heme mal my first year.

What are the consequences of ranking a program you did not interview at? Say, if you get invited for an interview but you decline due to scheduling conflicts. Is there even a remote possibility that that program will rank you?

I've heard from WUSTL, NIH/NCI, Yale and Iowa.

Was hoping to hear from BIDMC, JHU and Duke but haven't.

What are the consequences of ranking a program you did not interview at? Say, if you get invited for an interview but you decline due to scheduling conflicts. Is there even a remote possibility that that program will rank you?

I suppose there is a theoretical possibility of such a thing happening. But there's also a theoretical possibility of the sun going supernova before rank lists are due.

There are no consequences, it's just silly.

Another rank list looking for input:

1)2) Fox Chase vs Jefferson. Need some help on this one.
3) UMaryland
4) Monte
5) UCLA OV-Cedars
6) Cooper

Maybe academics, but most likely headed to practice. I have bills to pay!

Any advice GutOnc or others? I'm getting an ulcer thinking about this.

Re: BU and LIJ, the programs are so different (private suburban hospitals vs. down and dirty county in a huge city) it's hard to compare them directly. Rank them the way you liked them.

Re: BUMC and Ochsner. You already put Baylor on your list. And I don't know anything about Ochsner (other than, if I had to live in the South, NOLA is the only place I'd want to live) but I imagine it's better than not matching. And it's certainly better than Newark BI...that joint is a craphole. Also, don't get too hung up on the "heme" and "onc" issues. I did "onc" only and still did 5 months of heme mal my first year.

Appreciated your input, Gutonc.

Actually Baylor on my list is Baylor College of Medicine at Houston which is heme/onc, but BUMC at Dallas is onc only program.

How would you rank?

West Virginia
Alleghany
Cincinnati
Louisville
Tennessee
Medical College Georgia
Medical College Wisconsin
St. Louis
Univ Missouri
Univ Kansas

Like Heme and Onc both. Looking for solid training to be a teaching faculty at University program or private practice.

Thank you

Appreciated your input, Gutonc.

Actually Baylor on my list is Baylor College of Medicine at Houston which is heme/onc, but BUMC at Dallas is onc only program.

That confused me. Fake Baylor shouldn't be on your list at all. Leave Real Baylor where it is.

How would you rank?

West Virginia
Alleghany
Cincinnati
Louisville
Tennessee
Medical College Georgia
Medical College Wisconsin
St. Louis
Univ Missouri
Univ Kansas

Like Heme and Onc both. Looking for solid training to be a teaching faculty at University program or private practice.

Thank you

I frankly know almost nothing about those places. I'd put SLU, KU and Mizzou as your top 3 in some sort of order and the rest how you like them. Sorry to not be more helpful.

That confused me. Fake Baylor shouldn't be on your list at all. Leave Real Baylor where it is.
Sorry for the confusion. Now I am confused. Which one is faked? The one in Houston or the one in Dallas?

Sorry for the confusion. Now I am confused. Which one is faked? The one in Houston or the one in Dallas?

Baylor College of Medicine (Houston) > Baylor University (Dallas)

Hi gutonc and everyone,

Only two days left for the ranking list and still trying to figure out the list. I am interested in both heme and onco but leaning toward solid tumor. Want to work in academic center in the future. Location is not a major concern. Please comment on my first several choice:
Mayo clinic
UW in Seattle
UPMC
Fox Chase
Columbia
Case Western

Thanks in advance!

hey everyone,

i need some last minute help with my rank list. my interests are fairly undifferentiated and i'm not necessarily married to an academic career. here's my current list:

Cornell
Columbia
NYU
OHSU
UCLA-Olive View
Loyola
Tufts

i actually liked OHSU and Olive View quite a bit, but I feel silly ranking them higher than where they are above. would greatly appreciate any thoughts.

Hi gutonc and everyone,

Only two days left for the ranking list and still trying to figure out the list. I am interested in both heme and onco but leaning toward solid tumor. Want to work in academic center in the future. Location is not a major concern. Please comment on my first several choice:
Mayo clinic
UW in Seattle
UPMC
Fox Chase
Columbia
Case Western

Thanks in advance!

Your top 3 could go in any order and nobody would argue with you. Your list as it stands looks fine to me.

hey everyone,

i need some last minute help with my rank list. my interests are fairly undifferentiated and i'm not necessarily married to an academic career. here's my current list:

Cornell
Columbia
NYU
OHSU
UCLA-Olive View
Loyola
Tufts

i actually liked OHSU and Olive View quite a bit, but I feel silly ranking them higher than where they are above. would greatly appreciate any thoughts.

Your answer lies above.

I hear ya. But can you give me your quick thoughts on NYU, OHSU, and Olive View (head to head)? Would be much appreciated.

I interviewed at 2 of the 3. I almost walked out of NYU halfway through the day and wound up not ranking it. I matched to my #1. I did not interview @ OV.

Did anyone also receive the following email by NRMP support center? I certified my ROL. But they said "as of 10:30pm eastern time", which is still 12 hours away. Is it a mistake? I am freaking out!

MSMP Ranking Deadline

Dear Medical Specialties Fellowship Match Applicant:

Our records show that as of 10:30 p.m. eastern time today, November 13th, you have not yet entered and/or certified your RANK ORDER LIST of preferred programs in the R3 system.